Final Meal...Ohana vs Kona

laraashley4

Mouseketeer
Our first ever trip is this December. Its me, my husband, 2.5 yr old daughter, and 5 year old son. We have a 1245 flight out on our departure day and will be taking Magical Express (which I think means we need to be boarding the bus at 945). We are staying at Poly and plan on spending that final morning just packing up and getting a leisurely breakfast. We plan on eating dinner at Ohana one night of our trip, but can't decide which would be our best option for breakfast on departure day....Ohana or Kona. Seeing Lilo and Stitch are not a priority since we all didn't like that movie, but wasn't sure if one last visit with Mickey before we left would be necessary.

Last edited:
With ME and a domestic flight, your pickup will be between 9:30-9:45. If checking your bags at the resort, you'll want to allow plenty of time for that as well.

'Ohana has a bad tendency to seat late. So if you were to do 'Ohana, I would suggest getting the first possible ADR at 7:30AM, when they are opening and thus not yet behind. Allow 75 minutes to eat and see all the characters (Mickey may not be first out).

Kona you could do slightly later, but only slightly, as even there I would allow 15 minutes to be seated and an hour for breakfast. Or just say "eh" and go to Captain Cook's.

Of the two, I would pick Kona. Maybe it's just me, but at the end of a WDW vacation, I need to wind down a little and a character breakfast wouldn't do that for me. I also don't particularly like the breakfast food at O'hana - it's very salty, IMHO.

Kona is more low-key, however, I would make your reservation no later than 8:15 am which would give you an hour plus some wiggle room to eat. One thing to consider though, if you are going to spend the morning packing up, you will need time to do that and then, either call bell services and have them hold your bags while you eat or keep the bags in your room and then go back to get them, adding on more time to your morning.

Personally, I would order room service and eat a leisurely meal in my room. Sit on your balcony or patio, if you have one, and enjoy your breakfast. That way you won't be rushed packing, dealing with luggage and trying to make a breakfast ADR.

I'd choose Kona as well. For dinner it would be a much tougher choice, but IMO Kona Cafe is the best place on property to eat breakfast. You'd also save quite of bit of money as well.

+1 for Kona, still go for an early reservation like 7:30 AM. The new breakfast menu is great!

We do Ohana on leaving morning - it's the only time we see Mickey and Pluto (plus my kids love Stitch). It has always been a good send off for us.

Ohana was our departure day tradition for 5 trips straight and a couple of years ago, I realized we always end up crying during that breakfast because we know we are leaving. So last year, I decided to not do that again because it was making leaving even harder so I'm changing it up this year with a non character breakfast on our last morning and booking Ohana breakfast mid week when we can really enjoy it. So for that reason, I would recommend Kona. Plus, Kona has an amazing breakfast so you really can't go wrong there.

We did Ohana on our departure day last trip as well and really enjoyed it. It was a great way to leave WDW seeing characters on your last day without going to the parks. We are staying at the Poly this trip, and would have done that again except that we are going to do Ohana on our MNSSHP day instead (the day before). As for the breakfast, it was good and the characters were great (my daughter loves Stitch).

We just did an Ohana breakfast last Thursday. The food and characters were great. They also have turkey bacon to accomodate non pork eaters and I saw tables get stir fried veggies as well. We had an 8:30am reservation, were seated at 8:20 and done with all characters and food at 9:10. Im sure the time varies depending on where you are seated and the current character rotation spots. We also had dinner at Ohana and were seated 30 minutes early(monorail was faster than expected after a slow trip on it to Cali Grill the day before). I would say arrive a bit early for your adr and count about an hour to be there once seated.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I can't go wrong with either! Now if I can only get all to work out at 180 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter