figuring out where to stay - ideas?

KrisM

Mouseketeer
We are considering a trip in June 2018. I'm just trying to get a plan and costs together now so we can make a decision. The kids would like to see Pandora at AK, do a water park, and go to Universal. I'd like to do a day for Kennedy Space Center and a day just relaxing at the resorts. So, we are looking at just 1 park day on the trip and 3-4 nights each at a Disney and Universal Resort. We plan to drive, so we have a car. We don't know which water park yet.

My family is 5 of us with 3 kids - they will be 9, 12, 14 in June.

Where should I consider staying?

We did a week at Disney in 2014 and stayed at POR and we enjoyed it. I think we'd rather try something different this time. Maybe something with good things to do right there so we can swim, explore, etc at the resort. Or maybe something super cheap and we can resort hop.

We are open to ideas. I don't know what our budget is...trying to figure that out. If it's worth more, we can likely spend more.
Thanks!

We also love POR, but BC/YC or AKL were nice too.
If you tried BC/YC the kids would like the pool and you could walk over to the boardwalk to ESPN club or something for dinner. You can also walk to Fantasia Gardens for minigolf. Also walking around and exploring the other resorts is sometimes cool, boardwalk and swan dolphin are all there. Bussing to disney springs last year when we stayed at the dolphin was really pretty quick, despite all the horror stories you hear. I think because it's closer. Also the new ice cream place on the boardwalk is supposed to be good. We're going back next June, and I'm debating places myself.
AKL was beautiful and interesting, but I think for fun around to do, the boardwalk area is nice and busy. The only bummer would be if it would dissapointed you to not go to epcot.
However you can see fireworks from both ep and the studios.

I think we'd rather try something different this time. Maybe something with good things to do right there so we can swim, explore, etc at the resort. Or maybe something super cheap and we can resort hop.

We are open to ideas. I don't know what our budget is...trying to figure that out. If it's worth more, we can likely spend more.
Thanks!

Swimming and exploring are very easy when staying on the monorail loop. Polynesian has a pretty spectacular pool. Our DS13 absolutely loves it. I've heard the Grand Floridian has a great pool as well.

Keep an eye out for discounts, I've been hearing grumblings that early summer isn't as busy as it used to be.

With a family of 5 you are looking at either AoA, POR again, CBR or a deluxe. AKL and WL deluxe resorts where regular rooms only sleep 4 (deluxe rooms sleep 6 at WL) so that leaves the MK resorts and Epcot resorts, AoA suite, DVC or a cabin at FW. A DVC studio rental might save some $$$, if you are happy with the restrictions going that route. DVC studios are small, IMO, for 5 people, though. They do have a kitchenette for quick meals. AoA suites are in a 'value' category and offer a good amount of space, two bathrooms and separate rooms for a relatively reasonable price.

A cabin at FW is a lot of fun with many activities that can entertain everyone even without going to a theme park. However, getting around conveniently involves having a golf cart rented. Otherwise you are taking an internal bus to get to the bus stop or boat dock to get to your theme park.

The MK resorts (GF, Poly and CR) have large rooms, daybeds, the monorail and easy access to the MK. These are our three top picks for a stay at WDW. However, they are very pricey. Perhaps the best deal in this area would be a garden wing room at the CR, but be aware that the second and third floor rooms do not have balconies there. First floor rooms do have a patio. The pool is also very plain, but the slide is good.

In the Epcot area, the BC rooms do not all have daybeds so with a family of five, i would choose either the YC or the BWI. Both of these will have a daybed and most rooms will have a full balcony.

With the ages of your children, I would probably plan on the YC or BWI for reasonable proximity to Pandora and water parks. Also, the pool at YC is awesome and the slide at the BW is very nice.

Take a look at pics of all the resort options to see which theme you prefer. Have fun choosing!!!

I'd stay in Cocoa Beach for your Cape Canaveral day. You're looking at an hour each way in good traffic, more in poor traffic, for a visit to KSC.

Thanks for the replies. I'm adding to my list of what to consider!

I was thinking about staying near Kennedy for that night, but I don't really want to be moving hotels so many times. I figured since it's only an hour, we would just do it as a day trip. I'll see what I can find and maybe do Kennedy Space Center on an end of the trip and save one of the drives.

So you are looking at one park day at Universal and one at AK? If that's the case, I would seriously consider staying offsite (where you'll get a bigger bang for your buck) or at a Universal resort which, again, will get you more value for your money and are great hotels. I would stay at one hotel the whole time and simply drive to AK for the day. Universal's new water park just opened as well, so might be worth considering. Not to be down on WDW hotels, but your paying a premium for location which you really don't need if you are only going to AK. If you really want to stay on WDW property, I would consider a villa at AKV. (As you won't fit in a regular room with 5). It's an amazing resort and you're right next to AK.

I worked on ideas last night a bit, for an itinerary. Came up with this:
Day 1 - arrive in Orlando around noon, relax at resort (Disney resort, I think)
Day 2 - AK
Day 3 - Resort Day
Day 4 - check out of Disney, waterpark day, check in at Universal resort, maybe Universal in PM
Day 5 - Universal
Day 6 - Universal
Day 7 - check out of resort, Kennedy Space Center, check into beach hotel
Day 8 - check out and drive towards home

So it'd be 3 nights Disney, 3 nights Universal, and one near Kennedy Space Center. I originally thought I'd stay off site until I read the benefits. I am worried about getting FP+ for FOP if we can't book at 60 days. And since it'll be June, I think staying at a Universal resort with the Express Pass will be key.

Last time we went, we had one day hanging out at POR and the rest we were gone all day, so we were glad we had picked one of the least expensive options for resorts. This time I was thinking spending more might make sense because we can hang out there for parts of 2 days and just be gone for the one park day.

I worked on ideas last night a bit, for an itinerary. Came up with this:
Day 1 - arrive in Orlando around noon, relax at resort (Disney resort, I think)
Day 2 - AK
Day 3 - Resort Day
Day 4 - check out of Disney, waterpark day, check in at Universal resort, maybe Universal in PM
Day 5 - Universal
Day 6 - Universal
Day 7 - check out of resort, Kennedy Space Center, check into beach hotel
Day 8 - check out and drive towards home

So it'd be 3 nights Disney, 3 nights Universal, and one near Kennedy Space Center. I originally thought I'd stay off site until I read the benefits. I am worried about getting FP+ for FOP if we can't book at 60 days. And since it'll be June, I think staying at a Universal resort with the Express Pass will be key.

Last time we went, we had one day hanging out at POR and the rest we were gone all day, so we were glad we had picked one of the least expensive options for resorts. This time I was thinking spending more might make sense because we can hang out there for parts of 2 days and just be gone for the one park day.

Just an FYI (and this is coming from personal experience), if things continue as they are now, your chances of getting an FOP FP+ for the second day of your trip aren't great, so you may want to keep checking these boards to see if that 60 day perk is really worth staying onsite for your AK day if that's the only reason you are doing it. To up your chances, you may want to consider switching your Uni/WDW days. Or, just plan to hit FOP at RD (if you can't get the FP+). It's possible the opening of the Toy Story attractions in DHS in summer 2018 will help with the FOP crowds, but only time will tell.

To make sure I understand, I should try to have the AK visit happen on the first day of our Disney resort? Thanks!

o make sure I understand, I should try to have the AK visit happen on the first day of our Disney resort? Thanks!

The poster is saying that on a resort stay, people are being more successful getting FoP FP tickets on day 4 or 5 of their stays. With such a short stay (1-2 days) you may not be able to get a FoP FP at all and will need to consider going very early to wait in line.

To make sure I understand, I should try to have the AK visit happen on the first day of our Disney resort? Thanks!
I would plan on having your animal kingdom park day on the final day of your WDW stay. That way when you try to book FP you are in the 60+ days park not 60 days exactly. If you can not get it plan to be at Animal kingdom an hour before it opens so that at rope drop you can head over there and get in line. If you do that your wait should be lower and won't take up your whole day. Also, once you go through your Fast passes, you can get another so try to make them for the morning so you can continue to get them throughout the day.

I'd suggest either AKL or BC. BC if you have the money since they have a great pool and you can walk around BWI. AKL if you budget is tighter plus it's a 5 minute drive to AK.

Okay got it for the FP+! Thanks. My memory is fuzzy from the last time :). I'll see what I can do to swap things around.

I'm thinking either BC or CBR. BC sounds great and fun, but CBR is so much cheaper! AKL also sounds great, but it is more than we want to spend for this. I had thought maybe the cabins, but I think the kids would enjoy the pool at BC so much more. If I include a golf cart rental, the cabins and BC are about the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter