Fields Family Christmas 2021

jjctfields

Hopelessly hooked
We are actually going after Christmas but was hoping to hear some updates. DW and I were there in June (2 weeks after re-opening) but there were a lot of renovations. Taking the whole family this time!
I would love to hear your recent experiences with:

1. Castle renovations - we didn't bother with pictures when we were there since it was just boxes and the inner castle was closed (a ride? and shops?) 🏰📸
2. Still mask "Karens"? (We haven't had masks for almost a year) :confused3
3. Was the Vaccine Card sufficient? (Had to do some serious schmoozing last visit) 💉
4. Fireworks or evening shows to close the park?
5. Extended hours? So disappointed at the early evenings when we were there. 8pm park close is ridiculous when you're used to closing the park at 1am. Come on DLP! I'll sleep when I'm dead!!! :rotfl:

Disneyland Paris 2021.jpg

I have returned last night.

1. Only a small part on the side and the back is still boxed up, castle pictures can be taken again.

2. Never seen a mask Karen in Disneyland Paris. Compliance is maybe a bit lower, around 90% I guess, but the majority still wears them properly. When CMs approach a guest about it, I've never seen issues.

3. Can't tell you this, but it is still in place to get access to the park, Disney Village and the hotels. Can't guess your age, so just in case: Over 65s need a booster shot to have a valid health pass. No idea how this would work for countries that don't work with the QR codes.

4. Illuminations returns as of the 21st of December. There should be fireworks. At the moment the evening parade is sort of the end of the day.
I suspect the evening parade will be followed shortly by the fireworks. You have to make choices. If you stand at the beginning of Main Street near the City Hall, you have a great view of the lighting of the tree and the 2nd show stop of the parade. But as it is so crowded then, and part of the crowds probably leaving the park, there is no way you can get closer to the castle without fighting crowds. If you stand closer to the castle and see the 1st show stop there, you can get a good spot for the fireworks as well, but miss the lighting of the tree.

5. Wouldn't count on it. But keep in mind, being outside in low thirties, with possible wind/rain is not a pleasant for most people. That's why parks close early in winter. Waiting for the fireworks in winter can be brutal. I once had the guest next to me passing out from cold half way through the show, after we had waited for over an hour for front row spots. Then again... this was for Disney Dreams, and Illuminations is just not that good and worth it to wait over an hour for ;-)
If you are there after Christmas, sun is fully up around 8:40am, and starts setting around 4, fully dark around 4:55pm. It doesn't get a bit warmer till noon and starts to cool down again as of 4.

And final warning: Things are not going great in Europe, the South/Southern African variant has arrived here, countries are locking down again. With figures on the rise again in France as well, keep in mind that it is very possible that Disneyland Paris closes down again. This of course also goes for museums, restaurants etc.

Pretty much concur with the poster above, We were recently there, the dragon should open under the castle soon, the QR code will make it easier and depending on when after Christmas you are going by Jan 15th you will need to have had your booster or it has to have been less than 7 months after your second shot to be allowed in. We have a early Jan trip planned but it is not guarantee DLP will not close down again.

I reread my post and I don't think I was very clear in my message about the parade & fireworks. Let me give explaining it another try.

The Christmas parade route is the yellow line on the map below.
The parade starts at Small World, goes to the hub in front of the castle, stops to do a show on the 4 stages in front of the castle, then the parade continues down Main Street, at Main Street Plaza they have another show stop. During the 2nd stop of the evening parade they light the Christmas tree (blue star on the map) on Main Street Plaza.

This week the evening parade starts at 18:15, is around 18:30 on Main Street Plaza, and done around 18:40-18:45. The park closed at 19:00. No fireworks.
I assume that for the Christmas holiday break, when the park closes at 22:00, the parade will be at 21:15. Disneyland Paris hasn't had an evening parade for a long time, not much to base this assumption on. This is an assumption as the crowds will be massive during the evening parade. The crowds were already quite large on this Wednesday & Thursday night, which is low season.
I can't imagine they will have crowds twice on one evening. Crowds make people anxious, annoyed, and when it's near the freezing point.

If it's indeed the case that the fireworks are right after the evening parade, this would be my plan:
I would stand opposite the Emporium (#3 on the map), marked with a red dot. This is between the candy store and Flora's Boutique (the corner shop). Standing in front of the Emporium your view will be blocked by Santa's float. Standing in front of the Boutique you are blocked by Mickey's float.
My guess is that where I put the red dot, you should have a good view of the lighting of the tree during the show stop of the evening parade.

When the show is over and the parade goes backstage, part of the crowds will leave the park and not stay for the fireworks. Those who stood to watch the parade from the pavement down Main Street and want to stay for the fireworks, either will stay on the pavement, or step onto Main Street. With one group staying where they are, or moving onto Main Street, and the other group trying to leave the park, this can get chaotic.
I would step onto Main Street and move closer to the castle if you can, but if not, you should still have a good view for the fireworks.

Oh, by the way, it snowed today in Disneyland Paris. It didn't stay on the ground, but still there was snow. :) (Glad I wasn't there, I hate wet snow ;-) )

I agree completely with what Karin says.

I went on 2019 for NYE and the wait for the fireworks was quite harsh. The covered places near Main Street (the 2 long hallways that go from the "tree" to the "hub") were PACKED with people and kids on the floor waiting for the time without freezing outside. After the fireworks, as there was music, it was different because people that stayed were dancing the night away, which makes you get warm.

As for the situation in Europe, it is getting worse and countries with low fully-vaccinated rates are already starting to close and issue lockdowns. I would suspect that the rest of the countries that have high vaccination rates (Spain, France, Italy, etc) will probably follow Portugal's lead on restriction and issue full lockdown and closures by Januray 2022 to help control the situation but after "saving" christmas.

This is all "we'll see as it goes" in the end, France has announced the restrictions for the christmas season and there doesn't seem to include full closures... but all can change. I have a trip planned for NYE, let's see if it ends up being possible or not. Heheh.

Given the wide use of the vaccine passport at the many venues in France (including when we went to order take out at a Burger King), I would suggest visiting a pharmacy and paying the euros to have your vaccine card converted into the QR code. We did witness one mother/daughter trying to enter DLP with vaccine cards (unsure of what country’s) and the entrance guards were NOT happy… I don’t know if they eventually were let in because we passed through security and were long on our way to the entry gates and they were still discussing…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!