Few Reviews From Late August

WedWayPilot

Mouseketeer
We stayed at Wilderness lodge from August 19-25. A few thoughts from our meals.

Geyser Point - Overall very good. We had waffle fries multiple times which were consistently good. The cheesy brisket dip was a little overcooked and we found mold on some berries on the fresh fruit plate. Breakfast was good with the highlight being the cheddar biscuit which closely resembles a Red Lobster cheddar Bay buiscuit. Found out you can get one of these separate from the meal for $1.99.

Roaring Fork - The chocolate chip muffins were good and the campfire cupcake was great. Unfortunately we also tried the pepperoni and chicken asiago flatbreads which were awful (we ate less than 25% of these). These flatbreads are below frozen food quality. Worst meal of the trip.

Whispering Canyon - We had an ok experience with some of the typical antics. We got the big ketchup delivery which my kids loved. The chip and dip platter was very big and the chili dip was a favorite. I really wish they just sold a bowl of chili on its own. The milkshake maker broke while we were there but was fixed by the time we left and the server gave us some shakes to go which was a nice touch. The Lincoln logs at the restaurant entrance were a favorite of my kids, we had to drag them from there.

Via Napoli - One of our favorites and we again had an excellent pizza. I read very polarizing reviews of this restaurant and I can't understand the people that hate it because I have had 6 very good experiences in a row here. My best guess is that these people had a rare off night or really don't like Neopolitan Wood Fired pizza. The chocolate gelato was excellent. That being said my wife's Cesar salad was not very good.

Ohana - Everything was very good. We had a few fatty pieces of steak, but just asked for more and the rest were fine. The noodles here are very good. I actually prefer the bread pudding without the sauce so you can request this on the side.

Plaza - Good experience and food. The fire chief sat with us which was a thrill. One tip here is that the macaroni and brisket, although tasty is a bad choice in mid August for lunch. That meal requires a nap afterward. Also went to to the ice cream parlor next door and got 4 "kids size" cones which come with little chocolate ears for about $15-16 total which is plenty of ice cream for a family of 4.

BOG - Best meal of the trip. My wife and I both had the brisket which was perfectly cooked. Asparagus was very flavorful. The chocolate dessert and grey stuff were also very good. I was a little worried based on some recent reviews, but this was a great meal. Ironically the setting was the worst part because we were seated in the gallery and would have preferred one of the other rooms, but my kids didn't care.

Cape May Cafe - We have had the Breakfast here several times over the past few years. I am disappointed because this is the second meal in a row we have had here that was less than what we have become used to. The lack of the crepe station REALLY takes this place down a notch and I really don't understand all the candy that is available as toppings. Why do they need all that candy for breakfast? This meal could benefit from a return of the crepe station or the addition of an omelette station.

Garden Grill - This was a PPO meal and was very good. All of the food was fresh and the service was great. The cinnamon bake was excellent. We got on Soarin right away at 9. Great character interaction. No complaints.

Contemporary Cafe - Felt like we were sitting waiting for a plane at the airport. One tip here is they have a kids meal box which comes with a fig newton like bar, apples, carrots and goldfish and a bottle of water for about $6. Seemed like a good value at Disney.

Happily Ever After Dessert Party - most desserts had no real flavor. Chocolate strawberries were good. The juices were warm and no soda was available. We did plaza viewing and the view is excellent. I think they should do fewer desserts or just ice cream very well or drop the desserts altogether and just sell the viewing site.

Sci-Fi - Another favorite. The cookies and cream shake is great. We also tried the orbiting Oreo shake with liquor and it had much less flavor than the regular Oreo shake but did come with an $11 glowing ice cube! Burgers were average, but good for a Disney burger. Fries were good. This restaurant is all about the environment which is consistently awesome. If you can sit in the cars that have the front and back seats like a real car. The hybrid car tables are not as fun.

Satuli Canteen - Very good. The chicken with quinoa and black bean sauce was a good combination. The kids corn dog comes cooked in the bread and the bread itself is crossaint like and delicious. I'm interested to try more items here next time.

Early Morning Magic - eggs, bacon and pastries were good. French toast was bland and there were no Mickey waffles. The fruit was very moldy here. I can't believe it made it out on the platter and stayed there at least 15 minutes without being removed. They also seemed to not have a family of the day when we were there this time which was a nice touch the other time we did it.

Refreshment Port - Cronut was great. Will try with ice cream next time.

One tip here is that the macaroni and brisket, although tasty is a bad choice in mid August for lunch. That meal requires a nap afterward.

Garden Grill - This was a PPO meal and was very good. All of the food was fresh and the service was great. The cinnamon bake was excellent. We got on Soarin right away at 9. Great character interaction. No complaints.

These were new to us restaurants this past trip- and that mac and cheese is a hearty dish!! Kids loved fact the milkshakes were refillable and in fact, our server gave us to go cups that were filled. Mayor came to visit at our lunch. Probably one of the better values on property.
And it was awesome to be one of the first people on Soarin! But I thought the GG breakfast was very good-except very bland eggs (helped with the salsa though).
Consistent good things about Geyser Point makes me want to try that place out!
Also loved Satul'i canteen. Did you do the mobile order here? That was a fantastic way to get hot, fresh food. So easy, and great tasting food!

Great review-thanks!

Agree with your comments on Geyser Point and Roaring Fork. RF used to be an above average QS; in fact, they had the best Mickey waffles on property as they were made-to-order and came with a variety of toppings from which to choose. Now, you can only get the waffles in a basket, and they aren't made-to-order. In fact, they're now gummy. You can still get a topping, but it's some overtly sweet, syrupy thing that is supposed to have bananas in it. Just yuck. I've read plenty of other comments about RF that range from "still like it" to "just terrible." Most are somewhere in between, and many have had the same negative comments about the "new" flatbreads that you had. As for GP, we loved it in both May and July. . .sadly, two of our favorite meals were taken off the menu soon after we left in July: the eggs benedict and the salmon BLT. In particular, the latter offered a superb take on the typical BLT and was a very good value (in Disney terms). Very disappointed that both are gone. I second the notion about the waffle fries, though. Every time we've had them, they've been crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Excellent, as are they're house made chips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter