Fell this morning and now I can't walk...

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
Our trip starts tomorrow morning and this morning I somehow missed a couple of steps and landed weird on my foot. I've been icing it off and on and can't really put much weight on it. What am I going to do if I can't walk tomorrow?

Did you buy trip insurance? Or maybe it'll be something that will feel better day by day and you can get through it

We do have trip insurance. I'm headed to urgent care right now
We've rented the Disney wheelchairs and scooters a few times for family members who had issues walking. Both work fine. Just keep in mind for the wheelchair that you'll need someone to push and that it can be a bit of work, especially at AK which is a bit more hilly. The scooter is much easier in that regard but also a fair bit more expensive, I think around $50 a day. And finally, you'll need to get to the park at a pretty early hour to avoid missing out, since I've seen instances when both wheelchairs and scooters are sold out. On edit, don't forget to keep you receipt if you have park hoppers, since you only have to pay once per day.

We do have trip insurance. I'm headed to urgent care right now

I did the same thing 2 days before our first Disneyland trip in 2011. I broke my foot so badly I came dangerously close to needing metal bolts to hold it together! I did the same thing you did - went to urgent care (after a day of "it'll be fine! I'm ok, it's just bruised!" Nope!) and was given a foot boot.

This is the answer:

I was recovering from a foodborne outbreak when we visited Disneyland last month. The motorized scooter was a lifesaver. Just do it. It saved my trip.

Get an ECV! Totally saved our trip. Don't rent it daily from WDW, rent one from an outside company if you can. They will deliver it to your resort and pick it up when you're done. And you can park the scooter outside your room and charge it overnight with the hallway electrical outlets. Mostly every line at WDW is ECV and wheelchair compatible, and the ones that aren't have separate entrances, usually in the exit of the attraction.

Hopefully you're ok! Please keep us updated!!

Wheelchairs will most likely be available anytime. It's possible to sell-out, but most days unlikely.
ECVs tend to sell-out by mid-morning.

Check the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of this forum. Post #2, towards the end of that post has lists of off-site vendors. I'd suggest trying to contact them today but you could also try from your resort tomorrow.

I hope you heal well and soon. Enjoy your vacation!

We won't arrive at DHS tomorrow until afternoon, so not sure any wheelchairs will be available
remember that park wheelchairs will not help you getting from your transportation, be it car, bus or monorail, and that cane be a distance to cover. I would be calling offsite rentals be it wheelchair or ECV now. plus getting from room to transportation and that includes car can be a distance. been there done that

How does it work with lines if I am in a wheelchair?
for most (like 90%) of the rides you just take the wheelchair into the queue. For the other rides they will give you a return time. For a few Tomorrowland Transportation and peter pan they cannot stop the ride for you

How does it work with lines if I am in a wheelchair?
Sort of depends. In the past Disney let folks in wheelchairs go to the front, or close to it. But then there were stories of folks taking advantage, so now I think that you basically wait in the same line, unless that won't work.

So sorry this happened to you! Definitely rent a scooter from an off-site company. You can take the ECV through most ride queues, and for some you just need to transfer to a normal wheelchair because it's too small. And it will be a lifesaver for getting to and from the parks and resort.

I know what's it's like to have to use one when you aren't expecting to and don't want to. It's frustrating and creates anxiety. But I promise you'll be fine and will have a wonderful time! I decided to think of it as an adventure. "Adventure is out there!" :)

Oh! And if you're flying call to request wheelchair assistance at the airport!

Give Walker Mobility a call. They are good at last minute rentals. Don't count on getting a mobility scooter at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter