feeling like an oddball in LANCASTER,PA

TTA Deb

Mouseketeer
My husband, daughter and I are HUGE WDW fans, often visiting "The World" three or four times each year. Problem is...most of our friends, family, co-workers, etc. have absolutely no interest in Disney or are actually "anti-Disney," so we truly feel like oddballs. When they learn of our travel plans, they usually respond with, AGAIN!
Am I the only one with this problem? I'd love to know if there are any other fans in the LANCASTER,PA area. :earsboy:
PLEASE HELP!

Well I'm not in Lancaster but I am pretty close. About and hour East of you. Yes my friends and family think I am crazy and yes I hear AGAIN???? everytime I booked a trip.

Oh well their loss. That is why I love this board so much, lots of wacky people like ourselves.

I get that all the time. The way I see it, some people are too cool, stuffy, old at heart, boring, or just uninformed. I would rather be geeky, free-spirited, young at heart, fun & in on the Disney way of things! You either "get" Disney magic, or you don't! Personally, I think that life is too short to "grow up!" I am 34, and LOVE Disney as much as I did when I was a kid. I am taking my own daughter there for the first time this month and I can't wait! When someone says to me "you're going to Disney again!" I just smile and say "You bet!" because I know something they obviously do not.

You will probably live a longer, happier life then any anti-Disney folks, so just enjoy!

I'm not from Lancaster, but I'm about a 3 hour drive from there. Staten Island New York. As a kid my father used to take us on vacation there. Good and Plenty, the Host Farms, Amish Tour Rides and Dutch Wonderland.

My friends and family are constantly saying AGAIN!!! Followed with "What are you going to do different that you didn't do last year? Or 10 days, how can you spend 10 days there. The way I see it is you either get it or you don't. For those who don't get it there is no explanation that you can give them and for those that do "lucky them."

There are two types of people in this world. Disney Folk and non-Disney Folk, Thank God I'm a Disney Folk.

DH and I are WDW fans AND Lancaster, PA fans....LOL We are about 1½ hrs. away in NJ and stay in your area a few times each year. We love the unique shopping and restaurants. Also love the Millenium Theater!

I'm not from PA either, but I get the same thing from family and friends here in Wisconsin. We normally try to go once a year, though in the last 10 months we've gone twice because we bought AP's for the first time. In fact, I'm trying to convince my DH to take a last minute trip (as in leave a week from this morning!!!!), but even HE says he's Disney'd-out. :confused3 That's impossible from my point of view!!!

I say, if you love Disney and are fortunate enough to go -- DO IT!!! Those who don't understand how wonderful it is just to be at WDW, must not have had their share of pixxydust yet! :rotfl2:

I LOVE DISNEY!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm not from Lancaster, but I'm about a 2 hour drive from there. Hamilton NJ. we visit your area 2 to 3 times a year.
Hear going again a lot, but who cares what they think, I'm going to DISNEY and happy about it. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

i own a salon in upstate ny (i also do nails). i hear again all the time...however my customers love it! i have up some of my funniest pictures from trips past next to my nail table. even though they roll their eyes and chuckle when i talk about my next trip (or that i'm plotting another and trying to make DH think it's his idea) they seem to tip more when the time is closer! (i have even gotten some disney dollars as tips!) it still makes people smile even if they don't have the MAGIC. :)

hi
is lancaster pennsylvania dutch country, thats where i truly want to visit. we went to sugar and spice and yoders restaraunt in sarasota. i was completely fascinated and bought a book about amish and mennonite living but really want to visit. a bit of a reverse twist to the thread!

susan1 said:
hi
is lancaster pennsylvania dutch country, thats where i truly want to visit. we went to sugar and spice and yoders restaraunt in sarasota. i was completely fascinated and bought a book about amish and mennonite living but really want to visit. a bit of a reverse twist to the thread!

It got to the point where I started saying that I was going to Florida on vacation (never mentioned Disney) but people alway knew and would say "oh, your going back to Disney AGAIN?' :rolleyes1 I got to the point in my life that I don't care what anyone thinks about where I go on vacation. :snooty: So say it proudly Dissers, "Yes I'm going to DISNEY WORLD, and I'm going to have a blast". :cool1: :dancer: And for all you non-Disney people, sorry for your loss!!! :sad: To Susan, yes, Lancaster, Penna. is part of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. I've passed through there but have never visited. I does look interesting. Here are some websites about the area: http://www.800padutch.com/ http://www.padutchcountry.com/ http://www.amishnews.com/ :wave2:

My DSIS's boyfriend lives there. His family buys all the Disney movies, so I'm assume they wouldn't be adverse to the parks. :)

Hi there! My husband and I live just down (east) on route 23 from you- Owen J. Roberts school district. We visit Shady Maple Smorgasbord about every other week- and the flower and craft warehouse in Blue Ball (Oh, those crazy town names). We're far enough out of your area to not really have any friends "against" Disney- but I am CONSTANTLY getting "You're going to Disney World AGAIN????!!!???". I do however have many friends that LOVE Disney World, and would enjoy going as much as we do- as well as many friends that have never gone and would love to go just once! Maybe we'll see-ya around the next time we head up to the outlets and "Fudruckers" to eat!

-Joelle

another PA family who's friends and family bust on them for repeatedly vacationing in WDW.

We are currently living in the burbs outside of Philly (not in the city, our country hearts couldn't take it!) near King of Prussia. We camp in Lancaster often though and make day trips alot. love the Green Dragon, Roots and did i see someone bring up the ShadyMaple?!?!? Yummy - wear your loose fitten pants! also love the Goods Store there and a swing thru the grocery for some whoopie pies and ham salad. (like no other!)

My response (curt, but with a touch of humor) when someone who regularly has negative things to say about our vacation destination says "Disney again?" or "Don't you ever go anyplace else?" or some other not so nice comment..... "Some people are addicted to crack, we are addicted to WDW, what can i tell you....we need a fix."

- lori

Hi, I live about 30 mins from Lancaster.We visit often for shopping trips.
I would move their if I could...Love it up there. Shopping is the best and the view is awesome. LOVE SHADY MAPLE and the goods store.
Boy you guys have me wanting me to head there right now!
I crave going to lancaster!
:earsboy: Dont feel so bad, some people just dont get the disney thing!

I am in Lehigh Valley, PA.

I hear the same things as well but everyone is starting to learn that it is our special girl trip every year. Special bonding that I have done since the girls were born. Their loss. Nothing like a trip top our other home to forget about real life!!!

I'm in bucks county, and I hear it from everyone. We have only been to WDW 3 times in 5 years. I am trying to go back again before next September. What can I say I love it. :)

TTA Deb said:
My husband, daughter and I are HUGE WDW fans, often visiting "The World" three or four times each year. Problem is...most of our friends, family, co-workers, etc. have absolutely no interest in Disney or are actually "anti-Disney," so we truly feel like oddballs. When they learn of our travel plans, they usually respond with, AGAIN!
Am I the only one with this problem? I'd love to know if there are any other fans in the LANCASTER,PA area. :earsboy:
PLEASE HELP!

I live just outside Lancaster over the hill from Columbia :goodvibes I just got back from nine wonderful days. My first REAL trip to the World. :cloud9: I have been to DL three times for a day trip and to WDW three times for a day trip. Every picture my friend has of me, I am smiling so wide, plus I finally saw my one sister after eleven years. :grouphug:
I am already asking when can I afford to go again? :rolleyes1

Hi All!
Thanks for your input. Nice to know we aren't the only ones who get that "AGAIN!" response!
We live in Willow Street, which is five miles south of Lancaster. And to all of you Lancaster fans... I'm glad you enjoy visiting. It is a great place to live...but I'd rather be living at the Polynesian!!! :banana:

I live near Gettysburg and I love WDW. I have visited 6 times over the last ~30 years.
I like to travel and there are many other places that I want to see but every couple of years I get that Disney itch.....I'll be there again in 2 weeks :Pinkbounc , which is how I found this site. One of my co-workers gets the same itch but most of my friends do not understand. "What is so great about standing in line, fighting the crowds, the heat, etc, etc" they ask me. Where do I start? A little nostalgia mixed with child-like thrill, :wizard: something new and exciting, something old and comforting, something unexpected..... WDW has it all:cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter