February 2020 Advice please

Christina-B-Na

Mouseketeer
Hi Folks! So we haven’t been to Disneyland in almost 2 years and had a special trip planned for this month but unfortunately due to health issues and mounting medical bills, we had to cancel our trip. 😔 life happens and of course at the most inconvenient times right!?!
We have now decided to try for a quick weekend trip with our 2 boys ( 4 and 7 ) and have landed on February but am having trouble deciding which weekend would be best. Our park days would be on a Friday and Saturday. It’s seems like every weekend in February there is something going on... Valentine’s Day, Presidents’ Day and now I am hearing whispers of a possible 24 hour event for Leap day. We were originally planning for the last weekend of the month but a possible 24 hour event is scary and more than I think any of us could handle. Ha! Does that just leave us with the 1st weekend of the month? We have never been in February so not sure what to expect in terms of crowds or closures... My guess is a water ride will for sure be down...which is OK although my youngest is excited to try Splash Mountain the 1st time. I know we can’t have it all but trying to pick the best possible option.
We also have the ability to go during spring break ( ours is the 2nd week in March) but I’ve heard horror stories about that as well. If we did Spring Break, we would go Tuesday thru Sat and our park days would be Wednesday (3/11) and Friday (3/13).
What would you do? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I feel like predicting crowds have gotten a lot harder since the opening of SW:GE. So it's hard to say what things will be like in early February, but it's probably worth noting that Rise of the Resistance is slated to open 1/17. Normally I would say that should bump up the crowds (especially on the weekends) for a bit as folks come in to see the big new ride in SW:GE. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Valentine's Day, but President's Day weekend will probably be pretty busy. I hadn't heard any rumors about a 24-hour day on Leap Day, but the last 24-hour event was tied into the 60th anniversary. It was fun, but I could see where it would be overwhelming for small children.

In terms of spring break, it's more of a "season" at DLR because schools are out anywhere from early/mid-March through mid-April. With Easter being relatively late in 2020 (4/12/20), it might mean a more spread out spring break crowd. Disneyland appears to expect the largest crowds the week leading into Easter (based on the AP blockout calendar). Given the timing of your spring break, I would probably lean towards going then. If they do it again this year, the F&W in DCA might have started by then and you'll (probably) get the benefits of going during a "peak" season (longer hours, more entertainment, etc.).

Our usual time to go is around the last week of February and we like visiting at that time. Avoid Presidents' Day weekend, however, because I always see people say that one is busy.

Water rides may be closed, yes, but any refurbs during that time have never ruined our trips. The weather is generally pretty nice- short sleeves during the day and a light jacket in the morning and evening.

Flex passports are blocked Friday - Monday over Valentines day weekend. (VD and presidents day share the same weekend.) That is a good indicator that DL expects crowds. It is also the start of Ski week for a lot of California schools, and there is a huge cheer competition in Anaheim that weekend. (I would avoid that week personally, but I'll be down there with my cheerleaders.) The 21st and 22nd are the end of Ski week, so while it is better than the 14 and 15, it wouldn't be as good as the first weekend in February.

Water rides are hit or miss in March, so I personally wouldn't pick Spring break over first weekend in February in hopes of riding SM. Accuweather shows average high of 71 for Feb 7th, and average high of 72 for March 11.

We have been there in February twice, for 2 weeks both times. The last time was in 2015. we were there for valentines day both days, mardi gras once which was really fun! we went to Ralph Brennans for dinner. We will be there again this coming February, for Mardis Gras again yay!! the weather was so good both times we had lot's of laying by the pool and getting suntanned! and we really liked the reduced crowds and wait times. This time we are only going for 8 days, so only have the weekend of the 22/23 hope other people chime in :)

Thank you so much for the replies! I know it’s so difficult to predict what to expect next year especially with the opening of a new ride. I also know that I won’t be able to get/ do everything. Closures and some amount of crowds are just inevitable. Since we will only be able to go for 2 days...just trying to pick the best of my very limited options.
Fall break this year was insane from what I’ve read so it’s difficult to anticipate what spring break may be like with the added opening of Rise of the Resistance. My 7 year old is a mega Star Wars fanatic so that will be a must see!
I’m thinking I may try to book some time in February and also book the time I mentioned above during our spring break and then see how events unfold as it get closer. I just need to decide if the first weekend or the last weekend makes more sense. I lean more towards the last weekend... Just hoping the rumor of a leap day event is hogwash. Interestingly, the hotel I’m looking at has the cheapest rate the last weekend in February. Maybe that’s a sign. 🤔
I definitely welcome any other opinions and thank you so so much to those of you that responded!!!

Flex passports are blocked Friday - Monday over Valentines day weekend. (VD and presidents day share the same weekend.) That is a good indicator that DL expects crowds. It is also the start of Ski week for a lot of California schools, and there is a huge cheer competition in Anaheim that weekend. (I would avoid that week personally, but I'll be down there with my cheerleaders.) The 21st and 22nd are the end of Ski week, so while it is better than the 14 and 15, it wouldn't be as good as the first weekend in February.

Water rides are hit or miss in March, so I personally wouldn't pick Spring break over first weekend in February in hopes of riding SM. Accuweather shows average high of 71 for Feb 7th, and average high of 72 for March 11.
It’s not blocked. It‘s reservations required. The only time that pass is fully blocked out is the same days the signature pass is blocked.

We went in February2019 - arrived the Monday after President's day and stayed to the following Monday (only because our flight was cancelled 2 days). The weekend after Pres day wasn't too bad; we were able to do everything we wanted. We used Max Pass one of the days and did a commando touring style- we were able to ride 18 rides between the 2 parks and the next day we were super laid back and hit up our favorites and spent time at the animation academy and people watching. Have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do!

We have visited either DL or WDW the last week of Feb for the past 3 year. The timing just works out well for us. Crowds aren't bad that week and we don't ride Splash so if it's still down, no big deal. We'll be there again 2/26-3/1!

We have visited either DL or WDW the last week of Feb for the past 3 year. The timing just works out well for us. Crowds aren't bad that week and we don't ride Splash so if it's still down, no big deal. We'll be there again 2/26-3/1!

This is our usual time of year to visit Disney and we really like it, too. Our wedding anniversary is February 26th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter