February 2015-Would you choose Aulani or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

jforever52

Mouseketeer
Hi! Thanks in advance for your input on this. I'm starting to plan my family's next DVC trip. We own at VGC and are spending an extended weekend there in October. we went to Aulani in Feb 2013 and my kids haven't stopped asking to go back yet (ages 5 and 10). I'm hankering to get back to Disney World. We have not been back there since 2009. I was pregnant with our 5 year old at the time, Yikes!
Originally I was just going to book club level at Animal Kingdom primarily because we think our 10 year old would LOVE the sunrise safari. I made the mistake of asking the kids what they want to do and Aulani won out! I like to think it is because our 5 year old hasn't experienced WDW yet and doesn't know what she is missing.
As background, we live in CA so airfare would be significantly cheaper. We would also have savings in Hawaii with lack of park tickets. However our 5 year old is at the perfect age for WDW, IMO.
So...what do you think? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I was kind of in a similar situation (only my kids are now teens) for our December 2013 trip... we had always planned that time to be our second big trip out to WDW (we are west coast too) but I was out voted by the kids... not that I was sad about it.... Aulani is a great place. I did a big spread sheet and figured that the price differential was actually pretty similar for traveling from the West Coast. So that's what we did, it was a great trip. And I was not at all sad to not have to be figuring out all the magic band stuff while it's still in it's initial phase.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if Aulani won out again, but when I asked DS(13) recently what he would prefer, he actually did say that this next time he wants to get back to WDW to see all the new attractions there and at Universal Orlando. So looks like 2015 may be back to WDW..... we shall see.

Honestly its hard for me to make the call on which one for you guys... the big thing for me would be the 5 year old factor (that age is still so into the wonder of it all)... and then seeing whats going to be open or on refurb at WDW in Feb.

Since you reside in California, Aulani is probably less flight time?

Been to Kidani, even with "older" kids and had a GREAT TIME!
Going "childless" in December to Jambo for a split stay, so we enjoy the tranquil setting of AKV!:)

With that being said, when we do extended weekend trips, we try to get the "most of the time" and choose the shorter distance trips!

CAN'T WAIT FOR AULANI! YAY!:):dance3:

ENJOY whatever the final decision is...Both are FUN options!

I couldn't possibly be unbiased about this choice because I love Hawaii so much. I guess I would go with whatever the kids preferred.

Aulani is way less flight time and a couple hundred bucks cheaper per ticket. If we went that route it would be a stay at the pool/beach and relax kind of vacation.
WDW would be a lets get up a going type of vacation. So much has changed since 2009!
I think the magic factor for the 5 year old might trump it all. Thanks for the spreadsheet idea. I'm going to work on pros/cons and see where we end up.
Both are so amazing I'm sure the family will be happy at either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter