Fear of auto-flush toilets

Caren

Yo ho, yo ho...
My grandson will be just turning four on our next Disney trip in May. He's autistic, only sort of toilet trained, and has a fear of public restrooms, especially auto-flush toilets. Putting your hand over the sensor doesn't work--he KNOWS it's an auto-flush toilet. Are there any "normal" toilets in the park? What is the toilet situation in the baby center?

What about sticking a post it note over the sensor?

YES ... I agree ... read online that this is a very popular method of preventing toilets from flushing.

If an adult is not helping the child place the sticky note (eg. post it) on the toilet sensor, I've read suggestions that the "regular" size (approx. 3 x 3") instead of the smaller (approx. 2 x 1.5") sticky notes be used ... less need for "exact" placement of the sticky note.

Good luck! :-)

My grandson will be just turning four on our next Disney trip in May. He's autistic, only sort of toilet trained, and has a fear of public restrooms, especially auto-flush toilets. Putting your hand over the sensor doesn't work--he KNOWS it's an auto-flush toilet. Are there any "normal" toilets in the park? What is the toilet situation in the baby center?
last I knew Baby Center did not have auto flush but it can be a long walk when needed esp at MK as Baby Center is off Main Street not near rides. even the toilets in handicapped single toilets are auto flush. and from what I remember only nonauto in parks are Baby Centers

memories.....
The post-it note covers worked great for my very shy DD when she was young.
I remember taking my niece to the potty (no stress) and realizing how stressful it was for my daughter. UG! Glad those days are gone.

Non-autoflush is becomig few and far between. Mostly first aid and baby care are all that are left. They are close by each other and not really close enough for a little oneto go when needed.

Depending on his level of autism try to let him use the post it note himself for a sense of power over the situation. Also if he has one ask his therapist/Ot on how to help with the fear before the trip since it will be very hard to avoid autoflush toliets.

Post-its work well. And does he have earmuffs for sensory/noise? My DD hated the noise even when the flush came from another stall, but once we started using her earmuffs along with covering the sensor she's been fine with public restrooms.

Enjoy your vacation!

DD had fear of this for many years after an incident in a Chick-fil-A bathroom when it flushed while she was still sitting on it(she was probably 4 and must have shifted and it was very sensitive) and she screamed so loud I was surprised someone didn't come in - my mom had offered to take her, and thankfully I had done it. It shocked her plus it was loud noise, which also bothered her at the time - I spent many years holding my hand over the sensor, did not hear about post-its for a while! Loved Target, who does not have them! I agree with PP to invest in Post-its for your trip!

Please remember to remove the post-it note or whatever you have covering the sensor!

The post-it note is a lifesaver!! Whenever I see them left behind I giggle to myself and think "another crisis averted" and toss it in the sanitary napkin bin.

Post it notes worked with my DD. You can get them in all kinds of shapes and colors now. Try to find one that appeals to him. My DD loved the stars, she said they were magic.

Post-its work well. And does he have earmuffs for sensory/noise? My DD hated the noise even when the flush came from another stall, but once we started using her earmuffs along with covering the sensor she's been fine with public restrooms.

Enjoy your vacation!

Good thinking about the noise ... I think there's special ear buds (eg. ear plugs) for kids with noise sensitivities (perhaps even a good idea to use while in the parks since the parks/rides can get very loud).

Unfortunately, I don't know what they're actually called or have a brand name for you ... perhaps you can do an internet search. Earplugs will be more discreet and smaller to transport.

I did a quick internet search and found something like this for "flying" (which might come in handy also if you're flying for your trip) ...
NOTE: not endorsing product ... just giving you a link to check out product so you have an idea of what I mean :-)

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/flyfit/

Good luck!! :-)

Post it notes worked with my DD. You can get them in all kinds of shapes and colors now. Try to find one that appeals to him. My DD loved the stars, she said they were magic.

Great idea to find the post-it in fun shapes!!!

If you can't find fun shapes, you can get cheap stickers (Disney or whatever the child likes) from the dollar store and stick it to the post-it sheet.

I'd pre-stick all the stickers on the post-it sheets at home so you won't need to do it in the parks.

And as other posters have reminded ... please remember to remove the post-it and throw it away. Please remind your child NOT to flush it. :-)

Also you may want to look for the Companion assisted or family restrooms. Another problem my DD had was that in large public restrooms like they have at Disney and rest areas with automatic toilets is that they are very loud. All those toilets flushing and the loud hand dryers can be overwhelming for any child. Not sure of the level of autism he has but I'm sure it can be quite the sensory overload. The more private companion restrooms or family restrooms will be more quite than a restroom with 20-40 toilets in it and less stressful. I have read on the Disney Parks Mom Panel site that they are usually located near the first aid locations.

Along the same lines, do I remember correctly that the baby centers have little toilets?

Post it notes (or as my DD calls it - Magic Paper) have been a life savior for us. Also ear protection has worked wonders. DD just turned 8 and still hates the auto flush toilets. And she hates loud noises. We returned from the World two weeks ago, and she even got to the point that she would do it all herself in the rest rooms. And she wore her ear protection on several rides and to watch the fireworks at night. It improves her enjoyment level tons, which in turn improves DH and my trip as well.

Quick note on the child care locations. Not all of them have flush toilets. I tried taking DD to the one in AK three years ago, and they had auto flush toilets. I did find that MK child care had regular old flush toilets, but didn't even bother checking out Epcot or DHS.

I also agree on the post it notes. I have an 8.5 year old daughter who STILL freaks out about auto-flush. She will refuse to go to the washroom if she knows it's auto-flush and hold it for ages. I carry mini-post its in my purse for this. Meanwhile, my 4 year old can have it flush while she is on it and won't care. Doesn't bother her at all. Each child is so different.

Glad my kid's not the only one! Thanks for the reminder to add post it notes to my shopping list. :)

Also you may want to look for the Companion assisted or family restrooms. Another problem my DD had was that in large public restrooms like they have at Disney and rest areas with automatic toilets is that they are very loud. All those toilets flushing and the loud hand dryers can be overwhelming for any child. Not sure of the level of autism he has but I'm sure it can be quite the sensory overload. The more private companion restrooms or family restrooms will be more quite than a restroom with 20-40 toilets in it and less stressful. I have read on the Disney Parks Mom Panel site that they are usually located near the first aid locations.

But you need to be aware that the Companion Assisted Restrooms (Disney does not call them Family Restrooms) are few and far between. Plus they are one stall type places, so you may get to one and find it occupied. Not great if you have a little one who needs to use the restroom asap!:scared:

Oh, and that is another one the Moms Panel has gotten wrong (shocker!:rolleyes:). The Companion restrooms are scattered in the parks. They are not just by the one first aid location in each park. But there are not many of them. It may have changed, but for a while they were not even shown on the every day park maps. Only one the ones for people with disabilities.

KristiKat--Please double check any info you get from the Moms Panel. Disney does not check to see if what they say is accurate. And they are wrong quite a lot, unfortunately. :sad2:

On our last trip, we had a friend whose daughter had the same fear. The post it notes did not work well as often when you just walked into the stall it would flush before you could put up the post it note. The baby center was the only rescue for us, but it was fantastic. It can be a hike depending on where you are in the park though, so take every opportunity to use it when you are close to at least cut down on those last minute "I need to go now!" moments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter