FE disapointment?

5xdisneyfans

Mouseketeer
We did the FE on our last cruise. I was so excited to do it being our first Disney cruise. I planned, made and picked everything for each person according to there favourite colours and characters.

Then when we received all of our gifts I was very surprised and disappointed after all the hype and work I put into ours. We mostly received just candy. None of the character stuff was the right characters.

I was just wondering if more people have the experience we had or if the FE was everything they thought it would be? Not posting to complain but booked our second cruise and not sure if I should give it another try? Maybe ours was just a fluke?

Yeah...
before FE's got out of control, as they are today, and it was MAINLY for children, we received about a gazillion glow sticks....If we had used 10 each night, we would have had enough for about 30 cruises....
we simply signed up and received whatever we got...no character preferences, no colors, just gender and ages...

but, what do i know. I'm just an old curmudgeon.............

Thinking about doing our first one in July, but can't find one to sign up to. Going on Disney Magic July 22nd

We've participated in 6 FEs and signed up for our next 2. We are happy to receive whatever so we've been happy every time. For my daughter, it is typically just walking up and seeing something in the FE that gets her the most excited. While we don't do candy or glow sticks, I also do not worry about favorite colors or characters specifically either. We usually receive a mixture of candy, trinkets, and homemade gifts. We love it!

If you are just excited to receive gifts, I say sign up. If you expect them all to be specific to favorites and homemade, etc, I wouldn't as you will probably be disappointed each time.

We did the FE on our last cruise. I was so excited to do it being our first Disney cruise. I planned, made and picked everything for each person according to there favourite colours and characters.

Then when we received all of our gifts I was very surprised and disappointed after all the hype and work I put into ours. We mostly received just candy. None of the character stuff was the right characters.

I was just wondering if more people have the experience we had or if the FE was everything they thought it would be? Not posting to complain but booked our second cruise and not sure if I should give it another try? Maybe ours was just a fluke?
Unfortunately, FE exchanges started out as just a cute, little fun gift exchange. More recently it's become "who can create the best/most extravagant/costliest gift". And having everyone put their character/color/food/whatever preferences really is limiting. Well, except for allergies, which probably should be noted. With that, people are disappointed.

We've done 4 full FE exchanges and pixie-dusted a couple of others. I liked the gifts that were the more personalized "see what we have where we're from" sort of gifts - postcards, little wood carvings, local candies. Don't get me wrong, I'll take candy of pretty much any variety, but trying new stuff is fun. Also, personalized (with cruise information) magnets were nice.

I've never done FE. I was considering it for my June cruise and just started looking around for ideas. I ran across a bag of mini candies, a chocolate dipped spoon and sprinkles and it was titled "make your self a sundae kit" I thought it was the cutest thing and was like I can do that. Then I ran across a thread on here and people were complaining about those types of gifts. So I decided FE is probably not for me because apparently what I thought was a really cute simple gift is not to the standard of what is expected and I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

So I signed up for our recipe exchange instead and I'm excited about that.

This will be my third FE. I just enjoying the giving aspect. I try to keep the costs of my gifts low but I also try to give useful ones. To me it's about giving, and really all the gifts have been wonderful! One of my favorites, was a cute ring dish :) I think this last cruise we got from only one cabin some movie theatre candy and my kids were fighting over it. Seriously, that candy was the best!

I think it has gotten out of control. On another site people are spending up to $50 per cabin on gifts!!!! I enjoyed our exchange and will be doing another for our November cruise because my kids had a blast and this will be my MIL's first ever cruise. Last time I put in a lot of time with handmade items, but don't have the same time this year. I'm ordering something online with the DCL logo with ship and date and calling that good. Not everyone has the time or financial means for over the top gifting. It was always meant to be be inexpensive little items being exchanged. It is not a Christmas gift exchange with your closest family and friends.

I think it has gotten out of control. On another site people are spending up to $50 per cabin on gifts!!!! I enjoyed our exchange and will be doing another for our November cruise because my kids had a blast and this will be my MIL's first ever cruise. Last time I put in a lot of time with handmade items, but don't have the same time this year. I'm ordering something online with the DCL logo with ship and date and calling that good. Not everyone has the time or financial means for over the top gifting. It was always meant to be be inexpensive little items being exchanged. It is not a Christmas gift exchange with your closest family and friends.

That's insane! My gifts are working out to be about $5 per cabin, and I thought that was getting to be a little up there in cost.

Our FE group is not getting into specifics as to favorite color or character. Allergies are noted, but that's it.

That's insane! My gifts are working out to be about $5 per cabin, and I thought that was getting to be a little up there in cost.

Our FE group is not getting into specifics as to favorite color or character. Allergies are noted, but that's it.
Same here depending on people. And they are good gifts :)

That is why people are getting upset, they think that the other participants can afford what they can. You have to step away and realize why you are doing this in the first place? Is it to give or is it to receive? Everyone has their own budget, but you have to be realistic that not everyone can budget as much as you! 15x$50=$750.00 No way can I afford that.

I would agree with this so we have chosen to just stop doing them. Maybe will will start up again when our DD is older.

Also, note that the majority of cabins do not participate. It is not like you are going to be the only cabin not doing it (as it sometimes sounds here). In our last cruise I missed out on joining but only noticed 1 cabin with the fe! My kids were happy just being on the cruise!

I've never done FE. I was considering it for my June cruise and just started looking around for ideas.

I participated in a recipe exchange on our last Fantasy cruise. About 1/3 of the people followed through. What a joke. Won't be doing that again!

We have continued to participate as it has evolved, but like I said, we are happy with the little gifts and the big gifts....it's the thought, and we love the time we spend making the gifts for everyone, and my daughter LOVES to deliver them. I guess I have the attitude that I have a good time making/buying/putting together (whatever the case may be) the gifts, and I will just assume they are appreciated. I ignore any threads/posts where people discuss not appreciating things.

I've never done FE. I was considering it for my June cruise and just started looking around for ideas. I ran across a bag of mini candies, a chocolate dipped spoon and sprinkles and it was titled "make your self a sundae kit" I thought it was the cutest thing and was like I can do that. Then I ran across a thread on here and people were complaining about those types of gifts. So I decided FE is probably not for me because apparently what I thought was a really cute simple gift is not to the standard of what is expected and I didn't want to disappoint anyone.

Sad, but so true. I often wonder..."did these people's parents teach them to be ungrateful or did they learn it on their own." I think it's sad when people can't appreciate a "gift", no matter how big or small. I'm grateful when people think enough of me to give me a gift. If I can't use it, I give it to someone who can.

I'm participating in FE. If someone doesn't appreciate my gift, that's their problem. I'm giving from a good place, so that's all that matters to me. :)

We used to do the FE exchange but have stopped. It has gotten a little out of hand now and people are being set up to expect these over-the-top gifts. I always appreciated anything we received (candy, magnets, tattoos and stickers, etc). We loved the surprise of seeing what was in our FE when we came back to the room. I also really appreciated the hand-made items that I know people spent a ton of time on before the cruise. But I would never expect someone to have to cater their gifts after my personal likes and dislikes or my favorite character, etc. It is nice when they ask and we would always share that information if they wanted it, but it certainly wasn't expected.

Plus it just took the fun out of it for me to worry about being judged if my gift wasn't good enough. So now we just enjoy meeting our fellow cruisers at the meet-and-greets but don't join the FE list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter