• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FCC Dilemma - expires 30 Sept - what to do?

Calantha

DIS Veteran
So - I need opinions good and bad. My family doesn't want to go on the October cruise we have booked because we don't know what the restrictions are going to be yet. I said "fine, let's move it to Oct 2022." BUT - apparently the FCC expires 30 Sept and when I IM-ed Disney Cruise this afternoon, they basically said "it isn't likely to be extended."

I have just under 10K paid out and we received almost 2k in FCC.

Should I just hope the 10K will cover the room we want in 2022 and forfeit the FCC - I'll know in a few days?

The fam really wants HOTHS. If we downgrade and go in September, I'll have 2k of FCC that I couldn't hope to spend...and I'm not sure how much money we'd get back.

Thanks.

So - I need opinions good and bad. My family doesn't want to go on the October cruise we have booked because we don't know what the restrictions are going to be yet. I said "fine, let's move it to Oct 2022." BUT - apparently the FCC expires 30 Sept and when I IM-ed Disney Cruise this afternoon, they basically said "it isn't likely to be extended."

Should I just hope the 10K will cover the room we want in 2022 and forfeit the FCC - I'll know in a few days?

The fam really wants HOTHS. If we downgrade and go in September, I'll have 2k of FCC that I couldn't hope to spend...and I'm not sure how much money we'd get back.

Thanks.
Yikes. You're very indulgent toward your family if you're the one paying, imo. A cruise is a cruise. A cruise next September is going to be just as nice as a cruise next October. I'm not a mean person at all, but if I were treating my loved ones to a cruise, I would expect them to be grateful for what they were getting & not demand a certain theme even though it would cause me to lose $2,000 in cruise credits.

Last edited:

Why not wait and see what the restrictions are going to be before you make any final decisions?
It's good to know what your options are of course, but it sounds like none of the alternatives are a good fit for your family. It's only June, and restrictions are dropping left and right on land, which could easily transfer to cruises just as fast.
My advice is to wait and see, at least until your pay in full date.

We got tired of waiting and finally cancelled our Dec 2021 cruise (3rd rebook from 6/30/20). We forfeited the FCC… which was hard, but we got tired of having so much money tied up. We plan to rebook Oct 22. Our new and hopefully final cruise is actually $2000 cheaper than all the other ones because we are tied to school/sports breaks. This new one is during Fall Break. So I’d say, look at the FCC as a bonus… if the sailing that works best doesn’t fall into those dates, oh well. You lose “free money” but no actual money.

Thanks.
I am obviously not in a position to say that there will be no more extensions on the FCC because I don’t work for DCL ( I used too though lol ) but I’d honestly be shocked if they don’t extend that FCC again.... this last extension they did, they sent out emails a couple months ago... I would understand if DCL was up and operating already and they said no more extensions, but it’s going to be hard for a lot of people that decided to keep their money with Disney to try and find cruises that work before Sept 2022.... I personally will be on a cruise with my FCC before then, but my BIL, was supposed to go on his 1st cruise and he’s from Philly, is not going to have as much flexibility as the rest of the family because we are all in the Orlando area! My fingers are 🤞🏼 that they’ll do another final extension once DCL is up and running again!! 🤗

Thanks.

Rules and recommendations are changing/will most likely change and get better before October.

2k in FCC is a lot of money... I wouldn’t want to lose that.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I talked with my family (who is paying for some - I'm sorry that wasn't clear) and we're going to see what the prices look like this week as platinum and gold come out - and as AZMermaid, the FCC is only 'free money' even if I liked that much free money. I think we'll either reschedule or down-grade. I'd like to believe things will be normal in October but I'm not confident.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I talked with my family (who is paying for some - I'm sorry that wasn't clear) and we're going to see what the prices look like this week as platinum and gold come out - and as AZMermaid, the FCC is only 'free money' even if I liked that much free money. I think we'll either reschedule or down-grade. I'd like to believe things will be normal in October but I'm not confident.
The prices are on the site already. It could rise if you pick a popular cruise…. But you can price it out right now.

The prices are on the site already. It could rise if you pick a popular cruise…. But you can price it out right now.

Thank you so much. The October cruise I'd want would be another 2k since we'd be losing the FCC.
I think my plan is going to be to try to get a September cruise and put us in 2 rooms instead of one - and then spend the OBC/FCC on different things (I found an earlier thread full of ideas). I've emailed my agent and we'll see what he says.

Thanks.
We are booked for a cruise leaving Sept 10 2022 and got the email this past week that it is definitely a HOTHS cruise. So you could book one in Sept before the credit expires and still get the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter