FastPass for Illuminations

mickeybaby

Earning My Ears
With Illuminations being a tier one FP, I did not choose it for our EPCOT day. But I am thinking one would be really nice!

Does anyone get a FP for Illuminations? Does it ever work as your 4th FP for the day? Or is it worth getting it as your tier one choice?

Did it and, yes, it was nice being close to the main exit. But, we stayed for 2 weeks so I got other tier 1 FP's for other days.

I wanted to get this for NYE but it was unavailable. Is it generally not available that night?

No it's not worth getting as your tier 1. It's the opposite. There's a ton of great views for Illuminations that unless you happen to see it as a 4th FP, there's no point in locking it in as your tier 1

No it's not worth getting as your tier 1. It's the opposite. There's a ton of great views for Illuminations that unless you happen to see it as a 4th FP, there's no point in locking it in as your tier 1

Yep, totally agree. Not only is it not worth it, we find it worse than "standby". The World Showcase is HUGE, so there are endless spots to see it. The FP+ viewing area is relatively small (by way of comparison to the WS itself) and they cram a lot of people into it. We found it much more cramped in the FP+ area than just finding another nearby spot on standby...5 minutes before the show starts.

We were able to get it by refreshing late in the day. Yes, the space is nice and closest to the main entrance so handy if you want to beeline out. I would not tie up an FP for it but wait until you’re done with other FP rides you want to do and try to get it then as long as you aren’t trying for NYE or other really busy day.

It's the biggest waste of a fastpass in all of WDW.

The view is fine, but it's certainly not the best, you have no control over whether or not the wind is blowing smoke in your face, and the area gets so crowded that you need to show up 45 to 60 minutes before the show starts

Without fastpasses, you can easily show up 15 to 30 minutes before the show and find a great spot upwind of the lagoon.

I find the FP+ location problematic if it's where I remember it was. You can see the lagoon show great, but you need to turn completely around to see what's going on with Spaceship Earth. To me the best views for Illuminations are those from a vantage point where you can see both at the same time.

I liked having it by grabbing a fastpass in the evening after I was done doing everything else. It worked out great. I recommend doing it that way.

As others mentioned, do not pre-book this one. Get the FP late in the day if you can otherwise just grab a spot. We’ve never had trouble finding one even during busy times.

Last year, we went to AK in the morning, went back to the room around 4pm for a nap, and made a FP+ for Illuminations before drifting off. We went to Epcot just for Illuminations that day, though we also hit Spaceship Earth, which is my 7 year old's favorite Epcot ride. So it's definitely possible to get a FP+ for Illuminations later in the day, but I don't know if my experience was a rare one.

Okay, thanks for the info!!

Curious, what time of year were you able to snag a FP as a fourth? We will be there starting Dec 15 and wondering how the odds are stacked.

I find the FP+ location problematic if it's where I remember it was. You can see the lagoon show great, but you need to turn completely around to see what's going on with Spaceship Earth. To me the best views for Illuminations are those from a vantage point where you can see both at the same time.

Not much is going on with Spaceship Earth during Illuminations.

Okay, thanks for the info!!

Curious, what time of year were you able to snag a FP as a fourth? We will be there starting Dec 15 and wondering how the odds are stacked.

Ours was in May last year. It’s a less busy time but it was also an EMH night for us.

Edited to add that it was more like our 5th or 6th. We got it late evening (5 or 6pm maybe).

Last edited:
Not worth it as part of your 3, there are just way too many "free" places to watch.

DS got one day of as he drove to Orlando on Thursday. Spent a few hours at DHS then went to Illuminations.

Yeah...I think I saw a few laser images when leaving. Which makes me think they could/should add a little more on your way out. But, then they risk having folks linger.

Really? I could have swore there were lights or projections happening on Spaceship Earth during Illuminations when I saw it. Or maybe I just wished there were something happening on Spaceship Earth during Illuminations. Aren't there laser lights hitting Spaceship Earth at some point? Maybe I saw them overhead and assumed it was hitting Spaceship Earth but was at the dessert party so didn't have a good view.

I had to find a video that showed what happens after Illuminations and I feel so stupid. I'm remembering the large "presented by Siemens" that's projected on Spaceship Earth after Illuminations is over.

Last edited:
With Illuminations being a tier one FP, I did not choose it for our EPCOT day. But I am thinking one would be really nice!

Does anyone get a FP for Illuminations? Does it ever work as your 4th FP for the day? Or is it worth getting it as your tier one choice?
When we have an extended stay at WDW, we do use a FP for Illuminations and think it's worth it. We also have FPs for Soarin and Test Track on other days. I like the view from the FP area, at the railing just to the right of the wheelchair area. We were there during the holidays last year and it became our favorite spot to watch Illuminations. So much so that we tried to get back to it on NYE (without a FP) but ended up standing just behind the wheelchair area. (My daughter was in a wheelchair due to a broken leg, so this made it easier to get to).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!