Fast Passes gone - now what?

The beauty of not having FP+ is that you can be flexible.

If you want a crazy "commando style" touring plan, then visit touringplans.com.

Otherwise, rope drop your favorite ride and do the rest in any order that strikes your fancy.

Rope drop recommendations (based on recent wait times):
  • Seven Dwarves Mine Train or Splash Mountain at MK,
  • Flights of Passage or Na'vi River Journey at DAK,
  • Slinky Dog Dash or Tower of Terror at DHS,
  • Test Track or Frozen Ever After at Epcot.
And remember to use the MDE app on your smart phone to check wait times. For the more popular attractions, actual wait times have been 10-15 minutes less than posted wait times.

There is a thread about Here Now or something like that. Check it out, there are a lot of people giving their day to day experiences.

We rarely used FPs even when they were available. The lack of them gives you a lot of flexibility. Don't be too stressed if a line looks way too long, they are longer because of social distancing so you are walking more but the wait times aren't as high as the line might look like.

Now what? Well, you would be amazed at how much fun we all had before Fastpass ever existed. It was a completely level playing field and things moved along quickly and it never seemed like we were in line very long. We saw each attraction one after each other as we strolled around the hubs. It was much more fun. So give it a try, you might find it interesting and more magical.

Last edited:
I understand the flexibility aspect, but I feel like I will be criss-crossing the park much more. Last time the fast-passes let us guarantee short waits later in the day and allowed us to leisurely see the parks in an organized clockwise or counter clockwise manner. Now I'll feel like I'll need to zip between all the E-ticket rides early before the lines get too big. This works fine at Disneyland but I would think it would be exhausting at WDW.

I understand the flexibility aspect, but I feel like I will be criss-crossing the park much more. Last time the fast-passes let us guarantee short waits later in the day and allowed us to leisurely see the parks in an organized clockwise or counter clockwise manner. Now I'll feel like I'll need to zip between all the E-ticket rides early before the lines get too big. This works fine at Disneyland but I would think it would be exhausting at WDW.

You’ll definitely be walking a lot more than past visits. We just go for a few hours and have been averaging 5 to 7 miles. Most of the walking will be attraction queues as they are very long and winding to keep people apart.

Back in the olden days, before fp, we would pick an E ticket for first couple rides at rope drop, then chose continuously loading ones for busier park hours.

Many on here find the beauty of not having FP. They enjoy the parks more and love it.

However ... not all are the same. We are the opposite. We miss FP, terribly. We do not enjoy waiting longer than 10 minutes for a ride. Unless a ride was walk up or less than a 5 minute wait, we didn't get in line. That is just how my family toured. We used to be able to ride twice as many rides in a day compared to now with no FP's. It is what it is right now. Glad many like it, but we decided it isn't for us.

We were just there during spring break. My feeling is now that people are getting vaccinated and wanting to get out of the house, the parks are going to stay at a near full capacity rate of 35%. Key right now is the hit the parks early and the last 2 hours to maximize ride time with shortest waits. That leaves your mid day open -- pool time, nap, sit down lunch, mini golf, etc.

As I said on another thread, the only thing positive I can say about no FP's is that due to social distancing, you are constantly moving in the lines so that stationary standing and waiting is pretty much non existent. That is nice, but not enough to say get rid of FP's. No way.

Many on here find the beauty of not having FP. They enjoy the parks more and love it.

However ... not all are the same. We are the opposite. We miss FP, terribly. We do not enjoy waiting longer than 10 minutes for a ride. Unless a ride was walk up or less than a 5 minute wait, we didn't get in line. That is just how my family toured. We used to be able to ride twice as many rides in a day compared to now with no FP's. It is what it is right now. Glad many like it, but we decided it isn't for us.

We were just there during spring break. My feeling is now that people are getting vaccinated and wanting to get out of the house, the parks are going to stay at a near full capacity rate of 35%. Key right now is the hit the parks early and the last 2 hours to maximize ride time with shortest waits. That leaves your mid day open -- pool time, nap, sit down lunch, mini golf, etc.

As I said on another thread, the only thing positive I can say about no FP's is that due to social distancing, you are constantly moving in the lines so that stationary standing and waiting is pretty much non existent. That is nice, but not enough to say get rid of FP's. No way.
OK, I can understand that, but if you are only going to the attractions you have a FP for then you are missing a lot of attractions along the way. Or if you do decide that you want to see a specific thing that you couldn't get a FP for, you will experience wait times that are double or triple the times that we spent in line without any form of FP available. There was no standing there waiting for all those FP people jumping in ahead of you even though you have been standing there for what seems like hours. People didn't experience the original way it was done, are only experiencing what standby is now with FP in place.

Many have said to me that the crowds are bigger now. I say that is bull. The parking lot at MK was always full and my sense of the numbers of people inside the park is almost exactly the same. If not bigger. I can remember when you would have to literally push your way through the crowd, especially around the Small World/Peter Pan area. Remember that all there was for a long time was just MK and Epcot. Now all those people are spread out over 4 parks. Also right now the lines seem a lot longer because of Covid Protocol.

Last edited:
OK, I can understand that, but if you are only going to the attractions you have a FP for then you are missing a lot of attractions along the way. Or if you do decide that you want to see a specific thing that you couldn't get a FP for, you will experience wait times that are double or triple the times that we spent in line without any form of FP available. There was no standing there waiting for all those FP people jumping in ahead of you even though you have been standing there for what seems like hours. People didn't experience the original way it was done, are only experiencing what standby is now with FP in place.

Many have said to me that the crowds are bigger now. I say that is bull. The parking lot at MK was always full and my sense of the numbers of people inside the park is almost exactly the same. If not bigger. I can remember when you would have to literally push your way through the crowd, especially around the Small World/Peter Pan area. Remember that all there was for along time was just MK and Epcot. Now all those people are spread out over 4 parks. Also right not the lines seem a lot longer because of Covid Protocol.

I am old enough to have experienced Disney parks and other amusement parks without Fast Pass, Fast Lane, Express Pass or whatever term a park calls it. I will pay the premium not to wait. My patience to ride a ride isn't the same as it was back in 1990 waiting 2 hours to ride Magnum XL at Cedar Point. Personally, I do not want to do it anymore. I don't like waiting. Yes, I waited 45 minutes on this last trip for FOP and Test Track, and it reassured me of my stance. FP are for me!! :D

FWIW, when FP was in place, we did not miss a lot of attractions along the way. We have our initial 3 set early, and keep getting the additional ones right after another. If a ride has a minimal wait without, we go on it. Sure, there are attractions we don't go on, but that is NOT due to lack of FP, it's because we do not care to ride them. We aren't missing anything. YMMV, and that is cool, nothing wrong with having different park strategies.

We have experienced everything we wanted using FP. The only time we didn't ride or wait in line was for the first month of FOP because I couldn't snag a FP and we weren't waiting 3+ hours in line. On our next visit 4 months later, we rode FOP four times using FP's with refresh. (refresh is key to FP's)

The crowds aren't bigger, the problem is with lack of shows, dining, character meets, parades, and fireworks -- everyone is flocking to the same things which gives the appearance that the parks are packed. You currently don't have a plethora of activities to partake in, so what is available is busy. I have never seen wait times for certain attractions (Figment, Conservation Station, Muppet Vision) like they are now.

You enjoy the park without FP. We enjoy the park with FP's. Nothing is wrong with either opinion. But to infer that we miss out because we only use FP is incorrect. This past trip I know I missed out on rides because wait times were excessive. The bulk of our day would have been waiting, not exploring. I am not waiting 60 minutes for Pirates, Navi, or any other ride for that matter.

I remember waiting in line with my college buddies 2-3 hrs when a new coaster opened at the local Six Flags. now,I am old. my back doesn't want to do that anymore. My knees dont want to do that anymore. I miss the fast pass.

I hear ya! 💯

If your screen name is the year you were born, I am right behind you with 1974. We have done our time waiting in line. Been there, done that, and over it. Bring on the FP's!

I would highly suggest checking out the All Ears channel on YouTube, they have some really fantastic videos to help you plan for COVID era touring. As I write this reply I’ve actually got on a video they just posted today where 2 of them started in different MK lands at rope drop and are comparing wait times as they hit rides in a different order.

Molly’s “Perfect Day” videos are full of valuable tips as well, she has covered all the parks but MK at this point.

I would highly suggest checking out the All Ears channel on YouTube, they have some really fantastic videos to help you plan for COVID era touring. As I write this reply I’ve actually got on a video they just posted today where 2 of them started in different MK lands at rope drop and are comparing wait times as they hit rides in a different order.

Molly’s “Perfect Day” videos are full of valuable tips as well, she has covered all the parks but MK at this point.

Agree! We followed her strategy for HS going on ToT and RNR. I would have gone with Molly's suggestion on AK but we were early enough to get in FOP line so we took advantage. If we arrived even 5 minutes later I would have gone to KS instead. KS was our second ride and the wait was only 15 minutes. We went to Rafiki's Planet Watch next and it was definitely the right call because upon our return the line for the train was insanely long.

(on a side note, I love Molly's videos!)

Agreed. Fast passes were key to having a fun vacation. We are not ones to spend all day in a park. We would do our three fast passes in the morning and one other ride and by 1 PM we would have eaten lunch and be by the pool from 1-5. Then we would go to a park for dinner and stay there for the evening. This plan would leave extra park space for others in the afternoon when the parks are their busiest and leisure time for us. A win-win situation for everyone. Since we mostly travel over the Christmas holidays, it helps more than other times of the year. I don’t understand the logic of not wanting fast passes. If you don’t want to be tied down, so be it.You can always ignore your reserved fast past or do not book them at all.

I am really looking forward to a "non fast pass vacation". I'll just have to my chances on getting to the e-ticket rides. I now can take a clockwise or reverse trip around the lands and actually enjoy the sights more instead of zipping from one land to another and back again.

I don't see how anyone has more spontaneity or flexibility at WDW right now when you have to make a reservation just to get into a park now? At least they have park hopping back, but we used to book our FPs for the most popular rides, and then go where we wanted around that. With the double reservations needed to access Galaxy's Edge stuff, we're not looking forward to having to get a reservation for HS before we get boarding groups day of and other reservations as well.

The beauty of not having FP+ is that you can be flexible.

If you want a crazy "commando style" touring plan, then visit touringplans.com.

Otherwise, rope drop your favorite ride and do the rest in any order that strikes your fancy.

Rope drop recommendations (based on recent wait times):
  • Seven Dwarves Mine Train or Splash Mountain at MK,
  • Flights of Passage or Na'vi River Journey at DAK,
  • Slinky Dog Dash or Tower of Terror at DHS,
  • Test Track or Frozen Ever After at Epcot.
And remember to use the MDE app on your smart phone to check wait times. For the more popular attractions, actual wait times have been 10-15 minutes less than posted wait times.
If fastpasses are reinstated you do not have to use them and can enjoy the flexibility you desire by not using. If FPs are reinstated those of us that so miss them will have the opportunity to use them. With fastpasses those that like can use and those that don't can skip making a positive expereince for both groups. With no FPs those of us that appreciate using them are left out. I do not understand why folks that don't want to use FP are so against those of us who like them having them. We are in our 60s and do not rope drop as we travel and vacation at a relaxed pace. Our three FPs allowed us minimal standing time which is an issue for a bad back. Yes, we could get a medical exemption but fastpass allowed us to skip this step as waits were minimal.

Agreed. Fast passes were key to having a fun vacation. We are not ones to spend all day in a park. We would do our three fast passes in the morning and one other ride and by 1 PM we would have eaten lunch and be by the pool from 1-5. Then we would go to a park for dinner and stay there for the evening. This plan would leave extra park space for others in the afternoon when the parks are their busiest and leisure time for us. A win-win situation for everyone. Since we mostly travel over the Christmas holidays, it helps more than other times of the year. I don’t understand the logic of not wanting fast passes. If you don’t want to be tied down, so be it.You can always ignore your reserved fast past or do not book them at all.
I could not agree more. Don't use FP if you feel they are constrictive but let those of us that enjoy FPs use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter