Fantasmic Thread!

Bummed about Murphy (and also super confused why they couldn’t fix it?) but SO very excited about Pan and Hook being back! I refused to watch when it was pirates. Lol. So needless to say, it’s been awhile since I have seen the show. Can’t wait!!
Its gone...like burned into just metal pile. They would have to make a new one from scratch

What I am curious about is why did it take 13 months to bring the show back if they weren't rebuilding the dragon. I think most assumed that this was the reason behind such a long hiatus.

I will be looking to YouTube to see the show, as it will be unlikely that I will be back to the resort for a couple years.

What I am curious about is why did it take 13 months to bring the show back if they weren't rebuilding the dragon. I think most assumed that this was the reason behind such a long hiatus.

I will be looking to YouTube to see the show, as it will be unlikely that I will be back to the resort for a couple years.
This is my thought exactly! Although I was not expecting Murphy to come back, I thought Disney would have come up with something more exciting than B mode. Why did we have to wait more than a year? Or was Disney just cutting costs again?

Thank you! I didn’t realize the metal was that destroyed. Is it too expensive to build another one?
They will but Disney right now isn't looking to spend any more money then they have to

I think Disney see's this version will profit them for a few years and once demand dips they will being the Dragon back and maybe add some other effects to draw people back

Money.....they didn't want to spend the money to have this show running until now because...they didn't see a reason two. Now they are allowing more people to get Magic Keys and trying to get a bigger summer crowd then last year...so thats it

This is my thought exactly! Although I was not expecting Murphy to come back, I thought Disney would have come up with something more exciting than B mode. Why did we have to wait more than a year? Or was Disney just cutting costs again?
In addition to cost cutting (primary reason), I do believe there was some actual regulatory red tape with Cal OSHA related to the danger caused by the performers being caught on stage with an out of control burning dragon.

Cal OSHA is very strict. If you think back several years, many of you might recall the sudden fall safety barriers they had to install on the tops of almost every building. This included the widening of the outdoor portion of the Alice ride track and installation of some railings. The outdoor portion of Alice used to basically be the track and the edge! It was very thrilling and seemed like you were about go off the edge while riding.

Although I was not expecting Murphy to come back, I thought Disney would have come up with something more exciting than B mode. Why did we have to wait more than a year? Or was Disney just cutting costs again?
How would it save money for Disney to wait this long to bring back the show without the dragon? Couldn't they have resumed the show quickly after they cleaned up the damaged area? Sure, they've been saving money on operational costs for the show, but they've also been losing money on not having one of their biggest attractions operating.

How would it save money for Disney to wait this long to bring back the show without the dragon? Couldn't they have resumed the show quickly after they cleaned up the damaged area? Sure, they've been saving money on operational costs for the show, but they've also been losing money on not having one of their biggest attractions operating.
I mean, yes and no

For sure they should be making money by having people paying for the dinning plans....but it also cost a lot to staff the two shows plus Disney just seems soooo against live actors for some reason right now

I honestly don't think the show would have magically gotten more people in the park...like a few but summer is know for its shows and they cut fireworks on most weekdays years ago and doesn't seem to have affected profits

My guess is this all has to do with yearly budgets....it would have cost X to get the show running months ago..so they decided against it.

I just think we western Disney fans need to be more realistic about the company.....if you want old school amazing Disney go to Tokyo or China but here we get what we get at this point....I mean look at the new security lines. Disney clearly doesn't care any more about the guests experience.

We used to get free FP and better service and portions on food....and now we just don't but people keep going so until people get tried of the nickel and dining and lack of live shows and vote with out wallets nothing will change.

I am sure it costs Disney more to run Fantastic than they get back. They are not losing money if the parks are crowded despite Disney offering the bare minimum.

Somehow I thought that Fantasmic was returning on Friday, but I see from the DL schedule that it's on tonight. Anyone going? Did it actually start earlier this week?

Last edited:
Fantasmic! absolutely costs more to run than they take in from dining packages. It is an expensive show, with a lot of performers, techs, GSO cast, pyrotechnics, etc. Even without a dragon, the operational costs are high. (Incidentally, they've said all along that there would be no dragon upon reopening.)

Keep in mind that when you pay for a dining package, a fair portion of that is truly just paying for your meal - paying $55 for a meal isn't the same as paying $55 for a seat. While the dining packages bring in some additional income and help offset the operational costs, it's definitely cheaper to have zero Fantasmic.

Additionally, they've been rehearsing, paying the cast overnights, for months - I believe since February, in addition to all the costs associated with fixing the show. A lot of the technological elements were damaged by the fire, and they had significant structural repairs and upgrades to do. They're certainly spending a lot of money to bring it back to the parks. And I'm glad! I love Fantasmic!

Now the important question about the Dining packages...
Who will be sharing pictures/reviews of their meal/menu?
I'll be interested to hear about them all... Blue Bayou, River Belle Brunch and Dinner, and Rancho del Zocalo.
It will also be interesting to hear if they go with the same seating layout they have done in years past.

And about the Dragon... As other's have said from the LA Times article it is clear they are still working on having the Dragon return. My gut feeling is they initially thought they could have the dragon back within a year... but they aren't going to make that and likely knew that several months ago so they have improved the B mode. And then when the Dragon does return it can be a nice reason for people to come see the show again. Or if it takes until next year a nice bonus for Disneyland's 70th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter