Fantasmic GAC question

riu girl

DIS Veteran
Am planning on going to MGM studios next visit (first time at MGM) and would love to see Fantasmic. I have read that you should arrive about 60 minutes early to ensure you get a seat. We will be going at a peak time (right before Christmas).

DD7 is not able to wait in one spot for long periods of time and there is a good chance that she will not be able to wait 60 mintues for the show to begin. We will have a GAC for her.

How would we be handled at this attraction in our circumstance with a GAC?

Can anyone share their experiences in a similar situation?

Thank you

Suzy V.

I wold suggest the Fantasmic Dinner Package. There are 3 different resturants to choose from - you must make a reservation, then you show up and have dinner and then arrive at a special gate about 20-30 minutes before the show and they let you into a reserved seating area. It is not right in the middle but the seats are great and the fact that you don't have to wait with the other thousands of people helps!!!!

We have not used it, but I'd agree with the Fantasmic package suggestion. It does greatly limit your wait.
Also, even though your child might not normally be able to wait in one spot for an hour, you might be veryu surprised. We never thought DD would be able to wait in one spot for Fantasmic, but it's not a problem for us. For most of the time, you are sitting on the benches inside, so you can get out coloring books, games or whatever else will keep her happy. Once you have seats, you can also leave part of your party sitting there to save the seats and walk around with her. There is a snack stand behind you in the ampitheater area, there are bathrooms and CMs come around selling pop, popcorn and cotton candy. There is Disney music playing on the loudspeakers while you wait and there stuff to see - like people doing the wave.

I checked out the dinner packages but they are a little pricey for us (especially since we have a 4 year old that eats next to nothing). But if we could get seats and then go to the snack bar and get food and then eat it in our seats, that would probably work out ok (since that would take up a lot of time).

Does anyone know what kind of food is served at the snack bar or the name of the snack bar (then I could try and find a menu on allearsnet.com)?

In case, DD7 is having an "off" day, does anyone know how a GAC(that is stamped with the "alternative entrance" stamp) is handled at this attraction?

Thanks again for all your help.
Suzy V.

The GACs are actually handled differently, depending on conditions -like how busy it is. Chances are, they will let you sit in the handicapped/special needs seats in the last 2 rows of the theater.
The food is things like hot dogs, chips, stuff to drink. I don't think it has an actual name.

I have similar concerns with my son (age 11, Down Syndrome). Since he didn't know what Fantasmis was, there was no motivation to wait. I asked several times and was told the only option was to get there an hour early. (I did have a GAC). So I decided to take my chances - worst case, we would have to leave before the show started. So we went in, got seated (in the wheelchair seating), and made quick friends with the family next to us. Then we all kind of took turns running errands (get a soda, use the restroom, etc), and the kids all horsed around together - so none of the kids had to wait the hour without a distraction.

LisaB

Distractions are good. Snacks can provide that. An hour doesn't seem so long if you're eating and drinking during it.

You might also consider buying one of those lightup toys. We purchased one at the outlet store ahead of time, but never let DS have it until we got to Fantasmic. It amused him for quite a while during the wait.

Sheila

You can also bring food into the statium so if you want more burgers and fries or pizza etc you can bring it in and eat :) and unless its a huge crowd night (until they start to use it)and you need some room to run in- the standing area is a good out of the main path a bit area that you could use :)\

-em

I was hopint to use the fantasmic dinner thing too, but we have the new dining plan, and it's not included :guilty:. There is no way that I will pay seperately. I figure that Either me or DH will wait in line, while I take DS's for a walk. This won't be considered line-cutting, I hope.

I'm sure that wouldn't be considered line cutting.

We had a bit of a wait at the Magic Kingdom last month. The night time parade had finished and we were waiting for the fireworks. It was so crowded (the kids were both in the DIsney rental stroller) and there were families very close by us front, back and both sides. I didn't want to have to disrupt anyone by trying to move the big stroller so I pulled out these light up sticks (I had brought them form home, bought them at the dollar store right before holiday). What a hit they weer. The kids easily amused themselves well they waited for the fireworks. Waiting in a moving line is one thing (your moving, plus there are new things to see) but waiting in a stroller with tons of people close by is another. I brought these light up sticks with me just in case we got in a situation like this.
It worked out very well. I will buy some more of these glow sticks for the Fantasmic lineup. I can't say enough good about the DIsney stoller either. Although DD7 is VERY tall for her age, without the stoller we would never have been able to do a full day at the Magic Kingdom. She had toys in there, a blanket, books, snacks etc. DS4 was also in the stroller with her (but he is on the small side). I hope by next holiday, we will still be able to rent them again.

Suzy V.

Suzy

>>I figure that Either me or DH will wait in line, while I take DS's for a walk.<<

Just as an FYI about how they do things at F! (assuming it hasnt changed recently) is that they open the lower entrance about 2 hours before showtime and if its the first or only show of the day you usually go right in and stake a seat. They will fill by section and generally row but there is usually some flexibility. (hint- if you don't like where they are filling stand off to the side- out of traffic until they start a new area.) They continue to load in sections until the seats are full- when/if that happens they will hold people at the top of the arena while they get everyone into their seating area (usually 5-10 min) then they load the standing only areas. Once those get full the lower main entrance is closed, and noone is allowed to enter whether you have party in there or not.

So best advice is to not leave the main arena within an hour of showtime. Its a pretty big arena with a little bit of free area so letting the kids horse around is manageable.

If there are 2+ shows a day then for the 2nd show they hold the line at the top of the arena while the area is emptied and cleaned (10+ minutes- usually 20/25) and the group is released inmass to find seats (ie no organized loading) With that kind of loading I highly suggest keeping the group togeather.

-em

Thanks, Disneyland Magic. I had no idea they did it that way. ON our last trip, we did the Fantasmic package, so we just walked right in. Unfortunately, it started to pour down rain right when we sat down, so we never got to see the show. I'm hoping to sit near the back, since we don't know how DS will react. Hopefully the GAC will allow this. :D

Nik's Mom said:
Thanks, Disneyland Magic. I had no idea they did it that way. ON our last trip, we did the Fantasmic package, so we just walked right in. Unfortunately, it started to pour down rain right when we sat down, so we never got to see the show. I'm hoping to sit near the back, since we don't know how DS will react. Hopefully the GAC will allow this. :D
The designated wheelchair area is the back row of the stadium seating. That row includes vacant spots to pull a wheelchair or ecv in and a few scattered seats between the wheelchair spots. The row right in front of the back row is also designated "handicapped." (It might actually be the 2 rows, rather than only 1).
My DD has a wheelchair so she has to sit in the designated wheelchair space, but almost every show we have been to there have been people sitting in the rows who don't have a wheelchair, but do have other needs. So, I think the chance of you getting to sit there with a GAC is very good.

Once you have seats, you can move around if you want (as long as someone stays to "save" your seat and as long as you know where it is so you can come back to it. We have "saved" seats in the past for people whose kid just needed to get up and walk around a bit (they didn't say what his disability was, but he appeared to be autistic).

We have never gone to the second show (we were afraid of the mass seating rush). But the first show is done in a very orderly fashion. If you come right before the "gates" open, you will have to wait. But, once they are open, there is a pretty steady stream of people walking in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter