Fantasmic! Dinner pkg in May--worth it?

chilihead

Has no short-term memory and can't think on her fe
I have heard that May is slower. We are planning to be there May 8-16. We currently have H&V Fantasmic PS on Tuesday, May 11 at 4:10. Of course, Fantasmic isnt' until 9pm. My question is whether you all think we really need the PS? Or is it slow enough that we may be able to get OK seats just by walking in? Is there a bad seat at Fantasmic or are they all OK?

Thanks!

Chilihead

Let me start by saying that I know there will be people who will disagree with me on this as the Fantasmic package is one of those things that is a must for some and not for others so this is just MY opinion. We have been to WDW twice in May. Once the first week, once from the 17th - 25th. We have never used or felt we needed the dinner package. We did get there about 40 minutes before showtime but we got GREAT seats in the middle. We have never had problems finding good seats although I don't think that there is a BAD seat in there. The dinner package seats are to the side and it's just our preference to be in the middle section. We used the wait time to get hot dogs and drinks and eat "dinner" and the time flew. We've met some very nice, friendly people while waiting for the show to begin. I don't like waits but I've never minded any wait at Fantasmic since I'm sitting down and it's kind of nice to take a breather after a day walking in the parks. For our family the package is not economical since other than dh we are not big eaters and we can eat at those same places for dinner if we want to for less than the package costs. For others it is worth it. If you WANT to do it go for it, but in MY opinion you won't NEED to at the time that you are going. Another thing that we do is plan on doing Fantasmic fairly early in our trip so if the night we plan on the weather is bad or IF it is a long wait (which we haven't encountered) we can always do it another night. Hope this helps some.

We have PS for the same day for 3:40 at Brown Derby! Let me tell you why I made this decision. First, I hate waiting. Second, I don't think there's a bad seat in the Fantasmic audience, (a lot of people complaind about the package seating) so I would rather spend my time not sitting on a bench and out in the park as long as I can. We plan on eating an early lunch to counter the early dinner. We plan to be out of the restaurant in time for the 5:00 parade. At this point we can take advantage of shorter lines as others are eating and beginning to get ready for the Fantasmic line. I have been twice in May, the first we waited for over an hour (with a 3&5 year old - not fun) the second we did the dinner package at H&V. We reallly liked the buffet there, great for kids. We are going to BD this time around as we are using Wishes, so might as well get the most for our money. Hope to see you in the "reserved seating" May 11th! (Are you taking advantage of EMH too?)

Hi. I will be there May 8 - 15, and I do have a PS for Fantasmic on May 12 (dinner at 4:00 at HWBD), but the CM told me Fantasmic was at 7:00, but the CM told you Fantasmic is at 9:00?

Not worth it unless you go at a very busy time of year. We wouldn't miss Fantasmic on any trip but have done it both ways. When we did the package we felt rushed during dinner since the other people there at that time were package people too and they wanted to get us in and out. I know with my family that even with a late breakfast or early lunch that if they ate dinner at 4 p.m. they'd be begging to eat after Fantasmic. I would rather spend good money on a more relaxed meal personally. We found that when we didn't do the package that there were so many that were that we got a great seat and got there after many of the "package" folks.

Originally posted by newmousecateer
Hi. I will be there May 8 - 15, and I do have a PS for Fantasmic on May 12 (dinner at 4:00 at HWBD), but the CM told me Fantasmic was at 7:00, but the CM told you Fantasmic is at 9:00?

Hi! I just called WDW dining and asked about times for Fantasmic. She told me that May 11 & 12 Fantasmic shows are at 9:00.

Chilihead

Hmmm...we have a PS at HW&V on May 12th at 4:30 and was told Fantasmic at 7pm also!!

Darn, I'll have to call again and see if we can make dinner a little later if it's at 9pm!! Oh well, back to the drawing board!;)

Chilihead, thanks so much for the info.

plutosgirl...back to the drawing board for me too. I didn't really want to eat at 4:00, but thought "ok" if Fantasmic starts at 7:00, but if Fantasmic isn't until 9:00, that is just too much "lag time" for me.

I dont think you have much choice of making a later reservation...unless you plan on regular dinner and waiting in line.

I called this mornign for a 6/2 reservation at HW&V.....4:30 is the latest they would book me

not much breakfast>early lunch>early dinner>rides while everyone else is eating or waiting in line>fantasmic

I also couldn't get anything at any of the restaurants for later than 4:30. So that is what we took. But at least there is plenty to do in between. We are doing the dinner package because I try to limit the time my DH has to wait in lines. Getting him to Disney isn't the problem because he knows I love Disney, and he loves me so here we come, May 8-16th. Its the lines that make him "Grumpy":(, and since we are going to Fantasmic the end of our week there, I would rather not have to wait in line for over an hour to see it. :wave:

Made my reservation today for May 28. 4:00 at the Brown Derby was the latest I could get. Earlier than I'd have liked, but we can make it work. We should finish dinner in time for the parade at 5:30, then do some attractions from 6:00 until 8:00, then get to the theatre between 8 and 8:30 for the 9:00 show.

Being that it will be Friday of Memorial Day weekend it should be a timesaver. Even if not, I think it is definitely "worth it". If we are going to go to the Brown Derby (which we usually do) we are going to eat nice. Having this fixed price package will save us about $20 compared to what we'd likely spend without the package. So for us it's a win-win.

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
Made my reservation today for May 28. 4:00 at the Brown Derby was the latest I could get. Earlier than I'd have liked, but we can make it work. We should finish dinner in time for the parade at 5:30, then do some attractions from 6:00 until 8:00, then get to the theatre between 8 and 8:30 for the 9:00 show.

Being that it will be Friday of Memorial Day weekend it should be a timesaver.

We are going on the same night but got a PS for 4:30 at H&V. We have the same basic plan as you. I noticed there are 2 Fantasmic shows this night as well as Spectro Magic at MK. I'm hoping those things combined will make the crowds a little thinner.

Originally posted by cruisnfamily
I noticed there are 2 Fantasmic shows this night as well as Spectro Magic at MK. I'm hoping those things combined will make the crowds a little thinner.

<b>TWO</b> Fantasmic shows? Maybe that's why some of us have heard 7 and some have heard 9. I was told 9pm and would <i>definitely</i> rather do the 7. Anyone know the story on this?

Thanks.
Chilihead

May hours are up on the Disney website. Memorial Day weekend (Fri - Sun) the Studios are open until 10:00, with two showings of Fantasmic at 9:00 and 10:30.

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
May hours are up on the Disney website. Memorial Day weekend (Fri - Sun) the Studios are open until 10:00, with two showings of Fantasmic at 9:00 and 10:30.

Where did you find this? I went to the DW site and saw the hours for MGM, but not for Fantasmic. Thanks!

Chilihead

Originally posted by chilihead
Where did you find this? I went to the DW site and saw the hours for MGM, but not for Fantasmic. Thanks!

Chilihead

If you go to www.disneyworld.com and click on the calendar it will who you hours for each park. If you click on each individual day, it will list parades, fireworks, fantasmic, etc and there times. Here's what it says for May 12th:

Daily Schedule for May 12, 2004

Disney-MGM Studios
Park Hours: 9:00am - 9:00pm

Parades and Fireworks
Stars and Motor Cars Parade 5:30pm
FANTASMIC! 9:00pm

NOT OPERATING

The Backlot Tour will not be operating January 4 - April 1, 2004.
"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure will not be operating May 3 - June 30, 2004.

Help | Site Map | Contact Us | Updated Privacy Policy | Internet Safety

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Use. © Disney. All rights reserved.Site Survey: Tell us what you think

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter