Fans save a ride (Great America)

hopemax

Note to Self:
Since the topic of "What can we really do?" has been floating around recently...

http://www.dailyherald.com/community/archive_story.asp?intID=37477104&zone=gur

How fans won reprieve for Whizzer
By Bob Susnjara Daily Herald Staff Writer
Posted on August 09, 2002
Six Flags Great America in Gurnee has spared the life of a 26-year-old workhorse, just days before its scheduled end Sunday.

An overwhelming number of telephone calls and letters from patrons to Great America were cited as reasons for keeping the Whizzer roller coaster.

The Whizzer has been at the park since it opened in 1976, but plans had called for it to be dismantled and possibly sold to another amusement park to make room for an unspecified new ride in its spot. Crews were slated to begin removing it Monday.

In an announcement Thursday, Six Flags Inc. corporate bosses said they reversed field on eliminating the Whizzer after learning about the customer reaction to the plan from local Great America management.

"We heard from families all over the Midwest about retaining the Whizzer," Six Flags President Gary Story said.

Great America spokeswoman Susie Storey said no other ride has been retained because of popular demand.

After the planned elimination of the Whizzer became public last month, another Great America spokeswoman said she did not think the park's clientele would be alienated by the venerable ride's demise.

"We've got people writing in and calling in," Storey said, denying the whole thing might have been a publicity stunt. "People are in such support of the Whizzer."

Great America still will get the new ride - planned to open in 2003. However, it will be staged elsewhere in the park, and not in the Whizzer's spot in the Hometown Square area.

Whizzer fans said its moderate speed of about 40 mph is one reason they like the coaster. They also said the Whizzer is one Great America ride suitable for adults, teenagers and young children.

If the Whizzer had bitten the dust, it would have marked the third consecutive year an original ride from 1976 disappeared from Great America.

Last year, the Cajun Cliffhanger was removed, in part, because of an accident involving a 12-year-old McHenry girl. Riders lined the Cliffhanger's cylindrical interior and were spun around at high speed.

In 2000, the three-armed Ferris wheel called Sky Whirl was jettisoned.

Story said Six Flags always explores ways to enhance its parks, but it does not make sense to eliminate a clearly popular ride such as the Whizzer.

Whizzer: Park still getting new ride

Being a cynical person i have my doubts if it was due to fan reaction. I have been watching the story closely as it is the closet park to my home and i go there often and im glad they arent taking it down as it is a great family ride!!!! Supposedly they will remove shockwave now instead. But im suspicious that it wasnt announced as part of a pr job to get press coverage with the intent to save the ride all along. I rode it last week for what thought would be the last time.
Well what ever the cause im glad the ride is staying!!!

I'm not a coaster freak, but the Whizzer was the only ride I could handle at Great America :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter