Family of 5; First Time DDP - At WDW Now!!! 4/1/09 to 4/10/09

5infam

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

First I will start with my Disclaimer: I was going to post this under the regular DDP thread, but decided to post it here and give my hand at a quasi review, with a few pictures and stuff. So, if it needs to be moved, then feel free. Also, please don't expect a "high end review" here, as this is my first shot at this - so with that; disclaimer over.

One other thing - the reason I wanted to keep track of things was to figure out if the DDP was worth it or not. So, I will be keeping track of the dollars and cents, as best I can. This may help some of you who are on the fence about the DDP.

First the cast of characters. There is me, Disney Dad who just turned 40:scared1: - DW, who is younger than me (was that politically correct or what:lovestruc), DS 18 - Anthony, DS 9 - Michael and DD 7 - Gabriella. We have dinner reservations at the following places:

Akershus Royal Banquet - Princess character dinner
Ohana
Marakesh
Cape May Clam Bake
Le Celier
Boma
Teppan Edo
Tutto Italia

Some of what we have been up to so far:

First, we arived on 4/1 in the evening, and hopped onto the Magical Express bus. This was our first time on the ME Bus, and it was very easy. We first had to stay at Old Key West, as our home resort, the Boardwalk Villas was booked on our first night. When we got to OKW, we were ready for dinner, so we went to DTD. I asked the kids what kind of food they wanted and they chose Irish - so we went to Raglan Road. Now our DDP did not start until the following day, so this was OOP. I forgot to take pictures:confused3 but this was our first meal and I was hungry. I had the Portobello Mushroom sandwhich and it was great. Everyone enjoyed their food. The next morning, we had breakfast at OKW, at Good to Go. Basic breakfast sandwhiches and stuff. We had to get on over to the Boardwalk Villas for check in and to get our KTTW Cards which had our DDP on them. Here starts the fun - off to EPCOT. BTW, we decided we just wanted to do breakfast in our room, since we have a full kitchen, so we ordered groceries and had them delivered. This worked out great and was much easier than renting a car, and cheaper than buying from the Boardwalk.

April 2 - We were really hungy for lunch and decided to start off our DDP with lunch at Sunshine Seasons. DW and I both had 2 item combos at the Asian place. We both had Spicy Thai Chicken and Mongolian Ginger Beef. Here is a picture:
51985Disney_World_04022009_003_600_x_450_.jpg

DS18 had the Sushi rolls that are pre-packaged:
51985Disney_World_04022009_005_600_x_450_.jpg

DS9 and DD8 both had Asian kids meals. We all grabbed drinks (soda, juice and water) and also 3 desserts, one for each adult meal - Creme Brulee, Strawberry Shortcake and Key Lime Pie:
51985Disney_World_04022009_004_600_x_450_.jpg

The food was ok - something like you would get at a mall food court. The beef was pretty tender, and the chicken was good too. The best dessert was the strawberry shortcake. The key lime pie wasn't really the consistancy of pie, but was very whipped - light and airy. It had meringe on top, and the pie was the consistency of the meringe.

Total price if we paid cash - $62.25. Cost us 5 CS credits.

Next up - Dinner at Akershus

OK - I booked ADR's at Akershus as I wanted to do a character meal on the DDP that my DD7 would love - and who better to get her excited but princesses. We arrived a few minutes late, and only had to wait about 3 minutes before they called us in. We had pictures taken with Belle, one with Gabriella by herself and one with the whole family. They also gave us both photos as part of the package. Here is Belle and Gabby taken with my camera:
51985Disney_World_04022009_011_600_x_450_.jpg

On to the food. They have an appetizer bar that has green salad, cubes of cheese, lunch type meats, chicken salad, bean salad, tomato salad, smoked fish and a few other items. All pretty good. I really liked the fish in the red sauce (sorry, I forgot the name). I ordered the bacon wrapped cod - it was cooked nicely, and the bacon added flavor, but a ton of saltiness. The portion was very small, which the waiter warned me about in advance - but with all the salads and stuff I was fine. Here is a not so good photo:
51985Disney_World_04022009_013_600_x_450_.jpg

DW had the Traditional Kjottkake; which is basically swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes. She liked this one a lot, and the meatballs were vey dense. She also asked for a side of lingonberries to go with it.
51985Disney_World_04022009_016_600_x_450_.jpg

DS18 had Lamb Stew. He liked it very much.
51985Disney_World_04022009_017_600_x_450_.jpg

DS9 had Raviolli and Meatballs. Cute Mickey shaped pasta filled with cheese:
51985Disney_World_04022009_015_600_x_450_.jpg

DD7 had cheese pizza. I had a bite, it was not very good at all - but she had some nice items from the appetizer bar so she was fine:
51985Disney_World_04022009_014_600_x_450_.jpg

Finally they brought dessert - School Bread, Flourless Chocolate Cake with rasberry sauce and Rice Cream - which is like rice pudding:
51985Disney_World_04022009_026_600_x_450_.jpg

Let me say right now - the school bread was awesome:yay: Caramel and coconut on the outside, custard on the inside - this was our first time trying it and everyone loved it!! The rice cream was decent, but the cake was not to our liking. Very dense, and tasted almost like a piece of dark chocolate - which is not bad - but when you are expecting cake of some sort; not so good either.

Dinner for 5 if paying cash - $157.57. BTW - I am not including tipping in any of my math here, as you have to pay that if you are on DDP or not. Cost to us - 3 adult TS meals and 2 kids TS meals.

Thanks for joining in!!

I forgot to post our snacks for yesterday. Only the kids used their credits. They had Popcorn, Rasberry Lemonade Icee and a Marshmallow Minnie. All good stuff, but DS18 said there was way too much butter on his popcorn:
51985Disney_World_04022009_009_600_x_450_.jpg

Snacks for the day if paid for OOP - $9.75. Cost to us - 3 snack credits.

So for day one on the DDP, if we paid OOP, it would have cost us $229.57. We paid $141.95 for the 5 of us on the DDP. Not a bad first day!!!:banana::banana::banana::thumbsup2

Your kids are adorable :cutie: great reviews so far, looking forward to reading the rest.

Loralie

thanks for taking the time to do a report - great pictures -

oh and the food looks good too!!

(seriously love the pic of your kids with their snacks! Please thank them for me!!)

Great reiviews! Looks like Akershus changed their desserts from last year. The only thing that looks the same is the Rice Cream.

Great reviews! In all our trips I've never seen the marshmallow minnie - where did you get that one?

Thank you everyone!!!! My kids are excited you are joining us. Off to Hollywood Studios now, ut when I get back to the room tonight I will update from yesterday - lunch at Boardwalk Bakery and dinner at Ohana (I think I am sill full from that one:lmao:).

Also, we have dinner at Marakesh tonight - first time there so that should be fun.

:thumbsup2

Good start to the review, keep it up. Your DS18 looks like he loves having his picture taken with food like my DS12!!!

You have a great looking family. I can't wait for the rest of your reviews - I am really looking forward to Marrakesh since I booked that for dinner in June and I haven't heard much about it.

Where did your daughter get that marshmellow Minnie? It is so cute.

Great report. Can't wait to read more. You are going to many places that I want us to try on our next trip in August. Our kids are similar ages too. I have a DS14, DS8 and DD6. It's always fun to find something for the teenage boy to do as well as the young girl. LOL We will do CRT and the boys just have to deal with it. ;)

GREAT START! Can't wait for more.
You have a lot of ADRs that we want to try! Can't wait for Teppan Edo!

OOOOH Great reviews!!! can't wait for more!!!

That school bread looks so good. I'm not a fan of coconut though :(...I think I'm just going to have to take the tope off and eat the inside lol cause I really really want to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter