Family friendly restaurant in SF to celebrate DH's birthday?

dibs0901

Earning My Ears
We'll be in SF for DH's birthday next March and I would like to arrange a nice meal that evening.

A couple of things to point out are that we will have DS who will be 5YO and it will only be our second day after a long flight from England. We're staying in Fisherman's Wharf area and I think it's probably better if we stay as local to that as possible so we're not too late getting DS to bed. He's bound to be tired that early into the holiday - probably us too!!

Could anyone recommend a nice restaurant where it's OK to take kids? DS is not a picky eater, he likes most meats & fish, pasta, etc and would be quite happy to eat a smaller portion of the adult menu so a separate kids menu isn't really necessary.

DH likes American, Italian, Mexican, Seafood, etc. I'm vegetarian but I can usually find a salad at least!

Hope someone can help. TIA.
Debbie

Obvious answer may be Hard Rock Cafe on Pier 39, if you mention DH's birthday he will get a surprise as long as he is not shy ;) :teeth:

Or we found a lovely little Italian at the Tuscan inn called Café Pescatore.

By the way the day you arrive make sure you eat something, the first time we arrived in SF we had a nap which turned into a rather long sleep waking at 3am local time starving hungry! Last year we had a small dinner and were fine :)

Where are you staying?

Claire ;)

There is always Chevy's which is a Mexican resturant. They're pretty good and child friendly. I believe it's in Embaradero Center near Fisherman's Wharf. Another option that is a little further away is Rainforest Cafe. I don't remember how far away it is as DH and I would walk our way through the city on our day trips when we lived in the area.

Rainforest Cafe is near the main part of Fisherman's Wharf so another good place to eat.

Claire ;)

Cheesecake Factory above Macy's. Their menu is online.

Mmmmm a great restaurant with great views but a bit of a distance from FW as it is in Union Sq but maybe for another night? The crispy crab wontons are delicious :)

Claire ;)

Bubba Gump's is right on Pier 39 as well, they have great seafood and a good kids' menu. Rainforest Cafe was already mentioned as was Hard Rock Cafe, both are great kid friends with good menus. I love the Stinking Rose but I'm not sure how close to Pier 39 it is....I've never gone their after going to the wharf. Sorry about that! But really, anything you chose near Pier 39 will be kid friendly, it's a major tourist spot so you'll find a lot of choices!

Thanks for all your replies, looks like some good options there. I'm spoilt for choice now!

No Claire, DH is far from shy and it would amuse DS if he had a fuss made of him! What do they actually do for birthdays at the Hard Rock?

I've just been drooling over the Cheesecake Factory menu but maybe we should try that another night if it's a bit further away!

Claire, we're staying at the Holiday Inn, Fisherman's Wharf. Thanks for your advice about eating. I think we land around 3pm SF time so we'll probably have a nap when we arrive at the hotel and make sure to set an alarm to wake us after a couple of hours to go and get something to eat, then have an early night. DS is usually very quick to adapt to time changes but this will be a big one for him! I'm a little bit worried because when we went to Florida this year he was badly sick at breakfast the first morning. He had tossed & turned all night long, not sleeping well at all. I think it was over-excitement but that, probably along with the long flight and time difference, took its toll on him. We took him straight back to our room, he had a few hours sleep and was absolutely fine afterwards. I think we need to be a bit careful with him this time as obviously the flight is longer and time difference bigger. I just hope he sleeps on the plane!

If you tell HRC it is someones birthday they dim the lights and play Happy Birthday and bring out an ice cream! Often the staff stand on something like a chair to point out the birthday person :)

Ah that means you are close to the Hyatt as the Knuckles Sports Bar there is very good for food.

Claire ;)

Thanks Claire - that could be a good place to eat on our arrival day if it's nearby. Is it actually in the Hyatt?

Thanks Claire - that could be a good place to eat on our arrival day if it's nearby. Is it actually in the Hyatt?

Yes it is -

Knuckles.JPG

Insideknuckles.JPG

Knuckles Sports Bar link to menu.

They do a great breakfast as well :)

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter