Families of 5 or 6...question!

We are a family of 6. Have stayed offsite in villas 4 - 5 bedroom with pools and hot tubs and LOVED it- can not imagine staying in a hotel room for more than a night. We have had from 3- 4 bathrooms each time. The kids have more memories of the houses than they do of Disney- they just LOVE LOVE being able to walk out the patio door and jump in their own private heated pool......we love watching them from the hot tub with our drinks...... no crowds......no is there any lounges close enough to the pool......it is all just ours.

For hotels offsite we have to find ones that are a suite (which often means 2 beds plus sofa bed) or I have done priceline/hotwire to get a cheap rate and get 2 rooms (for overnight at airports before we go etc). This year we had one night after we landed in Florida before getting into villa- we stayed at Seralago Suites that first night ($70)- 1 separate bedroom with 2 beds-a kitchen area/murphy bed/sofa bed in living room- it was great for that night then at the end of our trip we had 2 nights after checking out of villa and we stayed in a 4 bedroom condo for $79 a night- Villas at Seven Dwarf Lanes. There was no way we could stay in a hotel for that kind of money and again we had 4 bedrooms, a full kitchen, 3 bathrooms. Sometimes at restaurants we have had to sit at 2 different but close tables as they won't have any seating left for 6 people. The only other issue having 6 people is having to rent a mini van or 2 cars......and now our kids our older this trip included my son's girlfriend......so we were up to 7 people! But 7 suitcases (8 on the way home too much shopping!), 7 carry ons (laps) all fit in the mini van! :cool1:

And as for the WDWcamping suggestion, I'm sure it's great for some of ya'll, but it's just not my idea of a vacation. Also, we love, love, love the Disney Dining Plan and you can't get that at the campsites.

We are getting the Dining Plan and we are camping. So your last sentence is not true. However if it was FREE dining and we were camping we would still have to pay for it.

For the OP, camping as a family is usually cheapest where ever you go. Flying usually isn't an option for our family, because it would cost a ton more. So where ever we go for vacation. (the beach, ocean, or our next trip WDW) We camp. FW has tons of things to do even if you didn't go to a park everyday. Good family time. :cloud9:

You know, I keep tossing around DVC or a camper and I'm still stuck..... the DVC may seem like more, but it also has maint. and up keep like twice yearly and I know it won't last for 50 years.... so yea.... I'm still deciding LOL..... O and altho it looks like we're a family of 5, by the next trip we will be 6 :)

BTW, we stayed in a AKL Villa and it was OMG amazing!!!

4. 2 bedroom DVC accomodations. WAY out of our price range, so I can't speak to these.

We rented DVC points for a 2 bedroom BCV, and OMG - it was enormous! It costed about the same as 2 moderate rooms, but was SO much better. Sure, it's more expensive for the bigger family, but I wouldn't trade any of my children for a cheaper vacation! :goodvibes

We are getting the Dining Plan and we are camping. So your last sentence is not true. However if it was FREE dining and we were camping we would still have to pay for it.

For the OP, camping as a family is usually cheapest where ever you go. Flying usually isn't an option for our family, because it would cost a ton more. So where ever we go for vacation. (the beach, ocean, or our next trip WDW) We camp. FW has tons of things to do even if you didn't go to a park everyday. Good family time. :cloud9:
Actually free dining is what I meant. The last three times we have gone we have been able to get the free dining discount. And for a family of 6, I don't think there is any greater discount. We can be on-site at All-Star Movies with two rooms and two bathrooms for 8 nights with 7 day hopper passes, 48 Counter Service Meal, 48 Table Service Meals and 48 Snacks, free transportation and EMH for about $2,700.00. That's a good deal for us.

We are a family of 6, we are DVC members so we will always have a large enough room for our family. We always stay in a 2 bedroom, the 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer and full kitchen are so worth it. The cost of our DVC points paid for itself after our 3rd trip. Coming home with no dirty clothes is worth every cent.

When researching I came across this problem. We have 3 kids... And almost everywhere ( not just Disney) seems to cater to 2 adults, 2 kids. I priced out 2 value rooms, the suite at the value resort and POR, which is a moderate resort. Guess what was cheaper?.... POR!! The alligator bayou area has rooms with 2 queens and a trundle.

POR has double sized beds, not queen sized beds. The trundle is small. You are allowed five in this room, but it will be tight.

Actually free dining is what I meant. The last three times we have gone we have been able to get the free dining discount. And for a family of 6, I don't think there is any greater discount. We can be on-site at All-Star Movies with two rooms and two bathrooms for 8 nights with 7 day hopper passes, 48 Counter Service Meal, 48 Table Service Meals and 48 Snacks, free transportation and EMH for about $2,700.00. That's a good deal for us.

2700 WOW What month did you go in? That's a GREAT deal.

2700 WOW What month did you go in? That's a GREAT deal.
Free Dining is typically offered to the general public in late August through September, give or take a few days (this year's free dining bounceback dates are August 15 - October 2). We got the free dining discount in September of 2007 and 2009. In December of 2008 we got a free dining discount pin code through our Disney Visa and were able to get free dining for our trip during the thrid weekd of December.

We are a family of 6. This will be our second time staying at the ft wilderness cabins. We like them plenty of room. Not super cheap BUT just as much as two rooms would be PLUS we get a full size kitchen so we save on food.

We are a family of 6. This will be our second time staying at the ft wilderness cabins. We like them plenty of room. Not super cheap BUT just as much as two rooms would be PLUS we get a full size kitchen so we save on food.
In value season the FW cabins are about $260.00 per night. Two connecting rooms at a value resort is about $164.00 per night. That's almost $100.00 cheaper than the cabins and about $700.00 more for a week stay at WDW.

In value season the FW cabins are about $260.00 per night. Two connecting rooms at a value resort is about $164.00 per night. That's almost $100.00 cheaper than the cabins and about $700.00 more for a week stay at WDW.

Yes but if you get a code and stay in off season it can be very cheap. We have stayed at the cabins for $140 a night.

Yes but if you get a code and stay in off season it can be very cheap. We have stayed at the cabins for $140 a night.
And in that same turn, you can get a 40% discount code on two connecting value rooms and pay about $92.00 per night - for two rooms. 40% off, free dining or whatever discount, two connecting rooms at a value is the cheapest way for a family of 6 to stay on-site.

And in that same turn, you can get a 40% discount code on two connecting value rooms and pay about $92.00 per night - for two rooms. 40% off, free dining or whatever discount, two connecting rooms at a value is the cheapest way for a family of 6 to stay on-site.

Well that all depends on what time of year you are looking to go. Also, the percentage off sometimes vary by hotel rating (deluxe, mod, value) so 40% off may only be at deluxe level and it might be say 30% off at values. Also, in a cabin you have a full kitchen which is also a money saver if you are not going during free dining. I personally would prefer a cabin to two rooms at a value because the floor layout is better and offers more room to move around in. The only drawback is having one bathroom instead of two but that isn't a huge issue to us anyway.
Value isn't always cheapest. It depends on a lot of things.

BUT I like the fridge and full ktchen so I wouldn't stay at the value anyway. AND both times we got 40% off.

IWe are a family of 7 and have stayed at the FW Cabins which were nice but the kids really enjoyed 2 connecting rooms at POP for the best value.

I would just like to say "camping" @ FW is not like camping in the woods. If you are into meeting your neighbors and being friendly that's FW camping. The comfort staitons are top of the line and the CMs try real hard to put you near one if you have kids. It is not loud and annoying, to us. FW also has it's own mini waterpark and golf cart rentals. Sometimes my family goes and never sets foot in a park!:love:

We stayed in the Family Suite in Dec with our 3 kids (8, 6, and 2) and really liked the room- I would coution staying in 1 room with all 3 kids - they are really small- we are thinking of tryong a cabin next time.

Having 4 kids is the reason we bought DVC! Our last trip was in the cabins. We liked it and it would have been perfect w/smaller kids but our kids are getting BIG and we were CRAMPED! Also having just one bathroom was:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter