Families First Vacation Homes Double-Books Vacation Homes

safetymom

dis veteran
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2003_Jul_08/k.ORV.1057763328.html

Celebration, Fla.-Based Company Double-Books Vacation Homes By Susan Jacobson, The Orlando Sentinel, Fla.
Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
Jul. 8--CELEBRATION, Fla.--James Size of Liverpool, England, planned to enjoy Orlando's theme parks Monday with his family.

Instead, Size and half a dozen other vacationers spent the day tussling with workers at Families First Vacation Homes, which they said promised them vacation rentals for as much as $2,000 a week -- and then didn't deliver.

For the rest of the article please read at the above link.

We rented from this company a couple years ago and our main complaints were that the pool we had paid to be heated was COLD and the office where we had to pick up and deliver the keys was distant and hard to get to. The personnel in the office were not responsive or helpful but our persistence did eventually get us a heated pool (which we then could not turn off and it became the world's biggest hot-tub!). The house was great though and the price very reasonable. I would certainly rent another vacation home but probably not from FamiliesFirst. Thanks for the link, it helps me feel I wasn't just being overly sensitive about the unhelpful management.

Thanks for this very important heads-up!! I've never considered going through them, but I'm sure there are others here who have and this kind of warning is crucial!!

This is yet another reason that I am EXTREMELY reluctant to "pre-pay" for anything - and would NEVER do it for accomodations!:mad:

Had considered renting a house thru them for an upcoming trip........no longer a consideration. Trips are expensive enough without this sort of #*@! happening.

Just check out a company's website and credentials. They are not members of the CFPMA (Central Florida Property Managers Association, the only body which sticks to strong guidelines) and they do not have individual specific villas to see or book on their site. Also, they can't even spell 'Accreditations' which would certainly ring alarm bells with me. One to avoid most certainly. Anyone can rake together some 'testimonials,' so to me, that is pretty meaningless. First-hand advice remains priceless - hence stick with the DIS for the best possible guidance :teeth:

I think is some cases they probably did not understand what they were renting - all villas and houses have a 4:00pm check in - so that is not bad - but not delivering on what your promised - is horrible for the people out of the country.

the state of Fla can only do so much - people have got to be more carefully with who they do business.

One website was saying it was very close to WDW - so next a lady asks on another website where it was - it was a good 50 to 60 miles away from WDW - I don't consider that close - she was told of the ones much closer in Kissimmee.

but some people just don't understand that they need to check

What a shame... Thank you for sharing that article. I agree with SimonV thoroughly research the company you are renting from!

We have rented several vacation homes and even considered purchasing one on our last trip to WDW. The company we use has an elaborate website with the pictures of each of the properties they manage. They are also "address specific". I know from my research that a lot of companies will promise you a 4 bedroom home within 10-15 minutes of Disney and they do not tell you where you are staying until you pick up your keys. There are several reputable vacation home companies out there.

Hello Brooke,

I am curious as to what company you usually use? What's their web site if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks

I have had nothing but positive experiences renting from individual owners. Even when we did have an "issue", the owner made one phone call and a buffett of Homes were open to us instantly.
Successful owners can't be successful without a good mgmt. company.
And the owners I've rented from have used USA Vacation Homes, Florida Leisure, and Florida First.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter