Fall booking wonky

Farro

Argh.
I mean I know we got some relatively good news today, but I highly doubt it was enough to spur a zillion bookings.

We were checking our date yesterday at CSR - Gran Destino, someone may be wanting to join trip.

Yesterday only the standard/water view were sold out.

Today the entire resort is sold out???

CSR is a popular convention hotel, and GDT is the crown jewel so my guess is maybe something booked there. There’s a big IT convention that happens every October, I’m brain farting on the name right now but that could be one possibility. A lot of organizations are looking at resuming those types of events this fall.

Ah, the weekend was the culprit. Doing the Monday to Friday and there was a lot of availability again.

CSR is a popular convention hotel, and GDT is the crown jewel so my guess is maybe something booked there. There’s a big IT convention that happens in October, I’m brain farting on the name right now but that could be one possibility. A lot of organizations are looking at resuming those types of events this fall.

I removed the weekend (since they won't come until Monday) and everything opened up again!

CSR is a popular convention hotel, and GDT is the crown jewel so my guess is maybe something booked there. There’s a big IT convention that happens every October, I’m brain farting on the name right now but that could be one possibility. A lot of organizations are looking at resuming those types of events this fall.
Maybe you are thinking about the Gartner IT Symposium Oct. 18-21?

It is still based at the Swan & Dolphin with overflow at the Crescent lake resorts. However attendees stay at many of the other resorts as they often bring the family.

Dave

Maybe you are thinking about the Gartner IT Symposium Oct. 18-21?

It is still based at the Swan & Dolphin with overflow at the Crescent lake resorts. However attendees stay at many of the other resorts as they often bring the family.

Dave

That’s exactly the one I was thinking of. Kinda surprised they didn’t go for the fancy new resort, but I guess the price was still right at the Swolphin.

That’s exactly the one I was thinking of. Kinda surprised they didn’t go for the fancy new resort, but I guess the price was still right at the Swolphin.

Comes down to to scale. S&D Convention Center is five times larger than CSR, better for large conferences and for distancing. While the S&D is usually priced more competitively per sq ft; if you don't need 333,000 sq ft, it's best to look at a smaller venue.
  • S&D 333,000 sq ft
  • CSR 65,000 sq ft
  • Y&BC 28,000 sq ft
Almost every symposium/convention I have been to in Orlando has been at the S&D or the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee (400,000 sq ft), so that seems to be the sweet spot on size. By comparison, the Orange County Convention Center offers ~2,700,000 sq ft of meeting and exhibitor space. The ballroom alone is 150,000 sq ft.

Comes down to to scale. S&D Convention Center is five times larger than CSR, better for large conferences and for distancing. While the S&D is usually priced more competitively per sq ft; if you don't need 333,000 sq ft, it's best to look at a smaller venue.
  • S&D 333,000 sq ft
  • CSR 65,000 sq ft
  • Y&BC 28,000 sq ft
Almost every symposium/convention I have been to in Orlando has been at the S&D or the Gaylord Palm (400,000 sq ft), so that seems to be the sweet spot on size. By comparison, the Orange County Convention Center offers ~2,700,000 sq ft of meeting and exhibitor space. The ballroom alone is 150,000 sq ft.

My only frame of reference for convention space is nerd gatherings so that's really interesting to see the comparison. Especially when I think of our rinky dink Javits Center in NYC.

Well they sort are using a fancy new resort space. They are taking advantage of the new meeting space a the new Swan Reserve and the Executive Suites with meeting rooms connecting. Exactly what it was designed for.

In addition they have a great reception scheduled for the new roof top space at the Swan Reserve for VIPs.

Dave

Well they sort are using a fancy new resort space. They are taking advantage of the new meeting space a the new Swan Reserve and the Executive Suites with meeting rooms connecting. Exactly what it was designed for.

In addition they have a great reception scheduled for the new roof top space at the Swan Reserve for VIPs.

Dave

I legitimately keep forgetting about the Reserve. Last time I was over there it was still a construction pit.

Dave

I'm glad they are there. I don't want them booking up Dahlia Lounge when I want to get a drink! :D

Last edited:
I was trying to book a solo trip last week, and while room categories and resorts kept going unavailable from the time I put them in the cart until I got to check out....in minutes, sometimes seconds. I had to keep changing my dates, resorts, everything, it was absolutely nuts and that was well before last nights call. That resort didn't have ANY rooms for any of my dates, it's one I've been wanting to try but my family doesn't, but I didn't even get a chance to book it this time.

Bookings at CSR this fall have been wonky for me, too. A lot of random single days completely booked, a few partial weeks here and there...trying to book a 2-week stay was ridiculous, trying to cobble together nights. November 18 is sold out for the entire resort (or was when I was planning a couple weeks ago) - a Thursday. Not sold out anywhere else, just CSR. There are rooms available the weekend before, but from the 18th onward there was no availability anywhere except the Tower. Then two days later no availability even in the Tower. All just bizarre. I assume it's that all the conventions have rebooked, but it's still bizarre. We ended up deciding we would rather stay in a Value than have to move rooms 4-5 times at CSR.

Yesterday I was looking to change dates for August at CCV. There was availability. I put it in my cart and was going to book today. When I went to click on it said your cart is empty. Nothing is available now. I’ve changed dates every which way I can and nothing is available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter