**FAKE** AMERICAN GIRL DOLL? Which one?

These dolls are GREAT!!!!! My DD is 3, and WAY too young for a $100 American Girl Doll! I was shopping in Costco with my MIL and DD and DD fell in love with it! They have different hair colors and eye colors, just like AG. Also different outfits! My MIL bought her one on the spot, and I went back and bought another one for DD for Christmas. Costco was only charging $24! To tell you the truth, these dolls are actually PRETTIER than the AG doll, IMHO.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Just an FYI, I noticed our Costco has those dolls marked down to $14.97 as of yesterday or prior. They are cute dolls, and at this price you can't beat it. Just don't expect them to hold up the same or have the same customer service behind them. Maybe that's what I'm paying for!

They are $14.97 at our Costco too and $19.97 at the next one. Seems they had most all their toys on clearance, we picked up some good deals!

I thought they looked very nice and pretty well made, definately better than the Our Generation ones at Target.

Just an FYI, I noticed our Costco has those dolls marked down to $14.97 as of yesterday or prior. They are cute dolls, and at this price you can't beat it. Just don't expect them to hold up the same or have the same customer service behind them. Maybe that's what I'm paying for!

Our Costco doesn't even have them anymore! I'm glad I got it when I did. DD really loves those dolls.

You have some really nice offers! I hope you are able to find a doll you are happy with and your dd will love.
I agree with the others about making sure she knows the difference as young girls do and will tell her and then she may be disappointed. Even on ebay they can go for alot of money especially around any holiday. But if I were you and you can swing it, I'd keep looking after Christmas and during the summer...the doll prices tend to drop then and you can get LIKE NEW dolls for 50-60 shipped...that's how I got our Kit doll and aside from not having any clothes she looks BRAND NEW.

ETA: I buy alot from AG itself but when I'm looking for dolls I always check ebay to see if I can get a like new doll for a deal. I don't mind paying new if its one she REALLY REALLY wants (I always buy the girl of the year in January and new) but I've gotten some really, really nice dolls for great prices on ebay!

Not sure where you are in PA but if you need an AG box, I could mail or meet you in Hanover.
We have extra boxes I don't mind parting with to help Santa look good if possible. I try not to mail dolls we list on ebay in boxes because, at more than 21" in length, they can incur a large package surcharge if sent further than a postal zone or two away, making it a real pain to specify a fixed shipping cost.
I'd planned to list a Josefina on ebay this week but time got away from me. It sounds like you have some good prospects though for a doll. PM me if you find a doll and would like a box to go with it...

AG sells replacement doll boxes for $5 too if anybody else is looking for a box but IMHO you'd have to want it really bad to pay rush shipping for an empty box...:eek:

BTW - you'll pay more for AG quality but I don't know many other companies that'll give you full exchange credit for a worn out return your kids have played with for five years. You do tend to get what you pay for and, if it helps any, AG encourages reading & imaginative play with stories, awesome dolls - and even better customer service.:thumbsup2

I confess this whole AG thing has me really scared. Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll. Thankfully I do have family members who are willing to help with the cost, as they would rather help create this special memory then send her something she wont play with for very long.

OP I hope your daughter will get her magical Christmas moment.

This is the one I got at Costco (not my listing,)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MADAME-ALEXANDE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

If you'd like I can send her to you, I got it for the Angel Tree but I've gotten something else instead (she listed Hello Kitty as her preference.) My DD loves American Girl and I think this doll looks very nice.

Let me know! I can send her tomorrow. (PM me)

Funny you should mention that because I was going to mention Costco and the MME. Alexander Dolls which used to be the best in the doll world. Anyway they are marked down to 15.95 ...a great deal no matter what.

I confess this whole AG thing has me really scared. Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll. Thankfully I do have family members who are willing to help with the cost, as they would rather help create this special memory then send her something she wont play with for very long.

WARNING: I went to AG NYC with DD6 this past summer to get "a doll" and "an outfit" and left about $200 poorer, $250 if you count our restaurant bill. I try now to get her doll's outfits on Ebay and Craigslist. But she loves the doll (Mia) and Santa is bringing her Ruthie this year b/c Gramma is getting her Kit. She will be over the moon. What I also try to do is get dolls on Ebay but it's very hard to get them (after shipping) for enough savings off the price of a new doll..:confused3 especially if they are sold naked, which most "good deals" are. Add back an outfit plus shoes, and you're right back to the price of a new doll.

I have to confess, I like to "help" her play with her dolls, and it's almost as much fun for me to buy her doll's stuff as it is for her to open it!!

Thanks all...I think everything is going to turn out awesome....Thanks Dancemom03, but I fear you are too far from me. I am in East Stroudsburg in the Poconos...too far from hanover. It was a very generous offer though. I do not think my daughter will mind if her doll is not in the box....Like another poster mentioned...it will still look great standing there under the tree.
By the way, we only have a Sam's Club and a BJ's wholesale nearby, no Costco....so i don't think i would have been able to locate a ME doll on my own at this lte date...Thanks again to all and Merry Christmas!

PS:I will keep you posted regarding her reaction to the dolls dthogue and rparmfamily are sending Christmas morning!!

LIZ

I grew up being told that my parents had to write a check to Santa. How else could he afford to build all of those toys? The check was left out with the cookies. As you can tell my parents were quite practical and cared very much about teaching us the value of a dollar.

Exactly what we have taught our children (minus leaving the check). We explain that mom and dad *help* Santa pay for the gifts. This helped us explain to them why we were buying for another less fortunate family. The gifts were paid for by us, but given to Santa for delivery to the kids whose mom and dad can't afford it. It also helps explain why our close friends' children get everything and then some. Their mom and dad pay Santa more $$ than we can.

Further, my kiddos get gifts from mom and dad, (but just like me when I was growing up), they know the gifts from mom and dad are usually clothes. :)

Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll.

Between $90 and $115 for a doll, depending on whether you also buy access and get a hardcover or paperback book. A meal at the cafe is in the $20-$30 range per person. Extra accessories and outfits cost anywhere between $5 and $35 - obviously there are some bigger things that cost considerably more but $20-$30 is a good average. Usually at the stores they'll have a special outfit you can purchase for $14 if you spend $30 (which you would if you bought a doll).

If you're considering staying overnight, there are some great American Girl packages at nearby hotels that include cookies and milk, a special bed and even a hotel robe for the doll that matches the one real guests use at the hotel.

I'm not sure where you're taking the train from or what month you plan to go but if you're not too far away, definitely check out the Madison Children's Museum American Girl Benefit Sale (think super walmart size warehouse packed full of new or new looking AG goodies at discount prices) in July.
Last year on Sunday (the last day of the sale) dolls still left were $35 each. I confess I really overdid it, the van was so full we had to leave a few things at my friend's house so we could get DD7's carseat back in for the drive home. Of course I'd have to deny it all though if pressed for specifics by DH...:eek:
In any case, it was an awesome girls weekend (LOL - No way would DH travel in a minivan with three females on a quest across six states just to buy doll stuff for two straight days - I think the mere suggestion gave him nightmares).
We got some awesome deals - the $325 nightstand sized chest that DD7 had been coveting was reduced to just $75 and we got Felicity's retired carriage for $80 (definitely deals that made the trip well worth it all by itself) - but we had such a terrific time and there was so much more to do than I'd expected in WI that we'll go every summer now.:cheer2:

What a wonderful tradition!
I will warn you the sticker shock will be great. BUT having said that, I can't put a price on the joy these dolls bring my DD. She takes her "babies" EVERYWHERE! I make her and her dolls matching clothes and she loves it. She plays with them more than her other toys.

To the OP-Watch the sales at Target. They have some great "stuff" for 18 inch dolls. And they often put it on sale. "Rumor" has it there will be a HORSE under our tree christmas morning (purchased at Target for 20.00:thumbsup) . They also have a trundle bed (similar to the one in the AG catalog) and Beauty parlor chair.

I had a Samantha years ago from Pleasant Company. This was back when they were still made by Gotz. I notice the Gotz dolls in my Tuesday Morning all the time and they still look like the AG dolls.

I also notice the Gotz dolls in Germany in Epcot everytime I go there. Perhaps she would be good with one on from Gotz as a present later knowing that is what is sold in Epcot.

Check ebay for the Hopscotch Hill doll by AG. It's discontinued and a smaller version that AG, but it is the brand and very cute. My dd has one that I bought online a couple years ago b4 it was disc, good quality.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a fake. I did (Target) and the hair was terrible and it was so not the quailty of AG.

I had a Samantha years ago from Pleasant Company. This was back when they were still made by Gotz. I notice the Gotz dolls in my Tuesday Morning all the time and they still look like the AG dolls.

I also notice the Gotz dolls in Germany in Epcot everytime I go there. Perhaps she would be good with one on from Gotz as a present later knowing that is what is sold in Epcot.

Not to hijack the thread-
The dolls in Epcot are Engel dolls. They are similar in size to the AG but are not as poseable as they are all soft body dolls. (You can find them on Ebay for good prices)

I will second the Gotz dolls. If you can find them at Tuesday morning- they make great "friends" for the AG and most of the clothes are interchangeable with the AG.

"Kit's Mommy" I love your screen name!

I don't know if you sew, but if part of the appeal of the AG doll is the historical outfits, you can always go with the ME doll or GG from Target and then sew an outfit or two for her. I like to browse the pattern books at Walmart, and there are *tons* of patterns for AG-sized doll clothes, both modern-style and historical. McCall's, Simplicity, Butterick...I've seen patterns from all those companies for AG-sized dolls. And from Walmart, generally patterns are in the $2-$5 range (much cheaper than from a fabric store), and you can also usually find good deals on fabric. And if you make it yourself, it will be one-of-a-kind and can add special touches just for your daughter (her favorite color or time-period, etc).

This of course is no help if you don't sew, and I've never actually bought any of the patterns, so I don't know how complicated they are to sew, but I can't imagine most of them being *too* hard.

I never 'got' why AG cost so much until we visited AG place in LA one time, and then we were hooked. My daughter now has 6 dolls (Elizabeth, Ruthie, Kit, Ivy, Julie & Samantha), and is getting Mia for Xmas. I won't even go into the amount of clothing and stuff she has..... LOL.
Its an addiction!

Madame Alexander dolls have been around for 50+ years and use to be "the" doll in the 70's and early 80's. They were good quality, with nice hair and costumes, but not as "play friendly" as the American Girl dolls. They were more collectable. Not sure how the newer ones are (since the real Madame Alexander died)! Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter