Fairy tales can come true, you got to make 'em happen... it all depends on you. (comments welcome!)

Princess weekend recap - 10k race day

When I registered for the half marathon I knew that was a stretch goal for me, so when Princess registration came around I registered for the 10k as sort of a consolation race because I had successfully done 10k races in the past and 6 miles was a pretty comfortable distance for me in training. I figured if I couldn't finish the half, I'd redeem myself with the 10k. I never imagined that I'd be worried about finishing it.

Then I got sick in February, and stayed sick for weeks with a cough that wouldn't quit. Training got derailed. I tried to walk as much of my training plan as I could but running wasn't happening. So I headed into this weekend uncertain already. Then, the night before the 10k I could. not. sleep. I don't know why, but I may have dozed for an hour total. When my alarm went off at 2am I had a raging migraine and I was hating life.

A fitness Instagram account I follow always says never make a decision from bed, and I had to get up to find my migraine meds anyway, but I was pretty sure I was just going to crawl right back in there. My husband, who had just returned home from a work trip to California, was still awake, and he told me to go. I'd regret it if I didn't. Just go to the start line.

So I took the meds, ate half a banana, and got dressed.

IMG_0628.jpg
So excited. I posted on my IG that I was really mad at the girl who signed me up for this.

I got out to the bus pick up area at just a few minutes after 3:00. There were already a few people waiting, and many more joined us. Hilariously, there were also some very drunk people who were still awake and wandering around amongst our line.

No bus. No bus. Then finally our bus rep person ran out into the parking lot and flagged it down. The driver didn't know where to go, who knows what would have happened if the rep hadn't been there. Finally at 3:20 we had a bus. I sat and chatted with a very nice woman who was a perfect princess.

By the time we got to Epcot the corrals were already filling, so I didn't have time to find the dis meetup. Just dropped my bag at gear check (I'm so jealous of everyone who doesn't need to do this... I have to have my *stuff*), stopped off at the portapotty, and headed for corral D. It wasn't too full yet, so I found a spot over towards the left side.

I have learned that I get claustrophobic once the corrals start moving, so I know now that I need to be on one of the sides next to a fence. I sat there waiting for the race to start, ate a handful of sport beans, and started to feel my headache ease up. By the time the race started it was gone and I was so grateful.

We started to move towards the start line and I could see the balloon ladies and Dead Last Start people when we turned the corner. I had volunteered to be a DLS target for this race and I was donating $10 to Give Kids the World for each DLS person to pass me.

I started off a little faster than I should have because I needed to go! I didn't have anyone with me to hold my spot, so I didn't want to jump out of my corral before the race started. I'm not about to go in the bushes in Florida, and I didn't feel good about the line for the port a potties I saw around mile 2ish, so I just ran until I got to Hollywood Studios.

After that, I thoroughly enjoyed the second half of the race. No headache, no balloon ladies in sight, beautiful sunrise. I was glad I got up.

IMG_0653.jpg
I had heard stories about princess weekend and the different vibe it had from Marathon weekend. Not all of the stories I heard were positive, so I wasn't sure what to expect heading into the weekend, but I had a great time. I know maybe I got lucky, and it only takes one person with a bad attitude to sour the weekend, so I was glad to not have that experience. I also found the course less congested than the half, even the section from DHS to the Boardwalk. With some weaving, I was pretty much able to run whenever I needed to.

IMG_0682.jpg

I don't know any of these women but this is my favorite photo from this race.

IMG_0655.jpg

A beautiful morning run through Epcot. It will be even more beautiful when those barges are gone. Also, I feel like my teeth are gigantic and my eyes are wrinkly and I used to be super self-conscious about photos of me but I'm 46 now and I just don't care any more. That's what I look like.

My goal for this race was to finish under a 16 minute mile pace. My official chip time was 16:11 (arg!) but Runkeeper had my pace as 15:29 and my apple watch had my pace as 15:46 so I'm going to call it good.

The cooling towel at the end of the race was very welcome. That half a banana from 2am had long since worn off, so I ate an uncrustable and the very best bag of Doritios I've ever had in my entire life.

IMG_0662.jpg

By that point it was nearly 8:00 and Epcot early entry would be happening soon. My stomach was feeling much better than it did at the end of the half in January but I have realized that I really, really do not want to sit on a bus after a race. I'd much rather hobble my sweaty self through the general public who are just trying to get to Remy's. Sorry.

I rope dropped Starbucks for an iced coffee (decaf because I'm fun like that) and made my way back to my room. I was stopped twice on the way by people who said they had wanted to run this weekend but couldn't get registered, and wanted to know if I had any tips. I did.

At this point I noticed that my heart rate was still pretty high, which started the adventure of worry that I posted about earlier. I showered and got ready to take a nap but first (because I'm nothing if not melodramatic) I texted my husband to tell him my heart was doing weird things and if I died during my nap that he was not allowed to give my chickens away.

I woke up a few hours later, not dead, but hungry as heck. I ate everything in my hotel room, hung out for a bit, then headed to Epcot for more. Caught a beautiful sunset on the way.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg
I got my (now) traditional post-race meal of vegan fish and chips from Rose & Crown and found a quiet corner in the back of the UK pavilion to enjoy them. Or... it was quiet, until a family came over and the drunk dad picked a fight with his wife. Nice. I packed up my food and headed to find another spot to finish.

It's been too long now, and I don't have any more pictures, so I don't really remember what happened the rest of the night. I think Epcot was still pretty crowded and I didn't feel like park hopping, so I headed back and turned in early. Really glad that my rough morning turned into a pretty great day.

Last edited:
I dislike those barges on a day-to-day basis too and I'm glad they're going away soon. But it was really pretty how they would project the races in them like in your picture :)

Oh, I forgot a couple of race- day things!

First, it was interesting to notice the shift in the announcer's message as the later corrals got released. Early on it was enthusiastic, go out there and have a great race! But by the time my corral was called the message had changed to "If you don't finish, it's ok. At least you tried." 🤣

Also I totally forgot to post about the afternoon meetup. I had two meetups scheduled for that afternoon, the dis one at HH and one other. The other one happened first and it was just so awkward. Everyone was very nice but it was obvious that these were not my people, ya know? I got out of there as quickly as I could without being rude. It used up all of my introvert energy and I just couldn't bring myself to head over to HH.

And, one more thing. After the great Princess weekend sleep disaster I've decided to try something radical for Springtime Surprise weekend. I'm going to try to shift my wakeup time earlier in the week before the races, so I'll hopefully be able to go to bed earlier and actually sleep during race weekend. I can't fully shift to the race schedule because kid activities keep me out until at 8:00 most nights, but I'm going to try to at least get closer. We'll see how it goes. I might just end up really tired going into the weekend!

I tried the schedule shift before Princess last year, and I still didn’t do well at getting to sleep. But hopefully it will work better for you.

I tried the schedule shift before Princess last year, and I still didn’t do well at getting to sleep. But hopefully it will work better for you.
Oh that's a bummer to hear.

I wish I could fully switch to 2am wake ups for a full week or something like that but... life. Hopefully this will help a little, but I'm worried it might just make things worse. We'll see. Every race is such a learning process for me! I can experiment all I want during training but there's just no way to replicate those pre-race jitters.

Monthly total for March: 47.34 miles

Life and training update:

I got in a couple of good runs this week. Two miles on Tuesday at 15:13, and two miles on Thursday at 14:44 (the second mile was 13:57!). Kung Fu kicked my butt this week, though. I'm finally back to almost 100% after my illness, so I'm pushing pretty hard in class. I'm learning a jumping kick right now, which will be awesome when I get it, but right now it just sucks.

We have this week off from Kung Fu, so I plan on running every day to finish getting ready for Springtime Surprise. I'm feeling ok-ish about the upcoming races, although I know it will be hot. I've volunteered to be a target for the Dead Last Start people. I'm running as George Sanderson for the 10k, and handing out socks. All of my costumes still need work.

I've also decided to bring my son with me for the weekend. This will be my first time not being alone for race weekend and I'm kind of excited about it. He's such an easy person to travel with, he won't complain about an early bedtime or being woken up at 2am. I will have to be careful not to push myself to do more park time, though, but we will manage to have some fun I'm sure.

I went to the cardiologist yesterday. She did an EKG and some bloodwork and said everything looks good. She loved the heart rate data from my apple watch and said to come back if my HR starts spiking again and she'll give me a monitor to wear. I told her about the upcoming races and she's also sending me to the hospital for another test, just to be sure everything is ok. She smiled when I told her I run for exercise, but then wished me good luck on my 10 mile marathon, so I'm guessing she's not a runner but glad she's happy about me running.

I'm starting a 30 day exercise band challenge today. It's run by one of the RunDisney Instagram people (not sure if I can say who).

IMG_1014.jpg

And, just so this post isn't all text, here's a picture from my cardiologist's office! This is inside! It was so peaceful.

Last edited:
I showered and got ready to take a nap but first (because I'm nothing if not melodramatic) I texted my husband to tell him my heart was doing weird things and if I died during my nap that he was not allowed to give my chickens away.

I know it's not funny (per se) but I did laugh when I read this. And glad to hear that your cardiologist appt went well. Heart issues are weird and stressful. I wore a monitor once--and of course, the reason that I got the monitor to wear never occurred while I had it on!

Also, love the T-shirt you wore when meeting Jeff (both times--will it become a "lucky charm" kind of thing).

I know it's not funny (per se) but I did laugh when I read this. And glad to hear that your cardiologist appt went well. Heart issues are weird and stressful. I wore a monitor once--and of course, the reason that I got the monitor to wear never occurred while I had it on!

Also, love the T-shirt you wore when meeting Jeff (both times--will it become a "lucky charm" kind of thing).
Anxiety coated in humor, that's me. :)

The first time I wore that shirt on purpose, the second time it was an accident but I think now it has to become my official expo shirt.

I bought some Fluffy Fizzies towels and a bath bomb
So I got bath salts from them and got some sort of allergic reaction or burn?? I don’t know. It was awful. Maybe I’m allergic to one of the oils.
don't know any of these women but this is my favorite photo from this race
This is a superb photo.
Also, I feel like my teeth are gigantic and my eyes are wrinkly and I used to be super self-conscious about photos of me but I'm 46 now and I just don't care any more.
Before I read this, I had been thinking that it was a great picture! You look so happy.
First, it was interesting to notice the shift in the announcer's message as the later corrals got released. Early on it was enthusiastic, go out there and have a great race! But by the time my corral was called the message had changed to "If you don't finish, it's ok. At least you tried."
Ooo I do not like this.

So I got bath salts from them and got some sort of allergic reaction or burn?? I don’t know. It was awful. Maybe I’m allergic to one of the oils.
Oh no! I haven't actually used any of the stuff I bought yet, now I'm glad I didn't try them out in the hotel.
This is a superb photo.

Before I read this, I had been thinking that it was a great picture! You look so happy.
Thank you. <3 It's been a process, becoming ok with pictures of myself, but I'm glad to have the memories now.

Ooo I do not like this.
It was so weird. Everyone around me was joking about it... "um... thanks? I guess? Can we just run now?"

I guess I need to wrap up the Princess trip report before Springtime Surprise gets here. I didn't run the half marathon, so Sunday was my day to relax and enjoy the parks. I woke up feeling fine (and not dead again, yay!) so I decided I to do a 4 park challenge. My rules were I had to ride something, eat something, and take a photo in each park. Since I couldn't park hop until 2:00 I took my time heading out to my first park.

IMG_0776.JPG
I started at Magic Kingdom where I rode my favorite ride and had fun taking this photopass picture. I ate a plant based dog and cheese fries from Casey's and watched the Festival of Fantasy parade. I had time to do a few more rides so I also rode Pirates and Jungle Cruise.

At 2:00 I hopped to DHS.

IMG_0771.JPG

This photopass photographer was amazing. He really got into it and took so many great pictures. I rode Rise and MMRR and ate a Mickey pretzel. While I was enjoying my pretzel I was sitting near a large group with two VIP tour guides. I am horrible at recognizing celebrities, so I don't know if any of the people in the group were famous or not. I know regular people can buy the VIP tours too, but I'm always hoping I'll see someone I know.

Then I hopped to Animal Kingdom.

IMG_0762.JPG
This photopass photographer was also great.

IMG_0717.jpg
I rode Na'vi River Journey and ate dinner at Satuli Canteen, where I took the only food photo of the day!

Time to hop to my last park, Epcot.
IMG_0754.JPG

I took a ton of photos with all of the photographers in front of Spaceship Earth but my favorite picture of the night came from this photographer who was set up next to the construction walls. I love the bokeh Mickeys!

I rode Soarin' and... I think Spaceship Earth again? See, that's what happens when I wait too long to write the report! I had a lightning lane for Frozen but it disappeared so I grabbed my snack (a gingerbread and caramel cookie sandwich from Karamell-Kuche) and headed back to the room to watch fireworks from the bed.

I learn a lot every race weekend. At Marathon weekend I learned some important lessons about what foods do and don't work for me before and during a race, and I learned that I can actually finish 13.1 miles. For Princess weekend my stomach was much happier but I learned that I can do hard things, even when I don't think I can. Every race weekend makes me a little bit more resilient, and better prepared for the next one.

I'm really looking forward to Springtime Surprise. I hope my sleep plan works out. I'm actually really excited now that my son is coming with me. He's the most easygoing travel companion, and he's been dealing with some stuff lately, so he really deserves to relax and enjoy himself for a few days. I've enjoyed my solo race weekends, and it was nice not needing to worry about anyone else, but it's really fun to share Disney with others.

Last edited:
Springtime Surprise prep!

My attempts to adjust my sleep schedule failed. I was able to wake up early but I still couldn't fall asleep any earlier at night, so I basically spent last week exhausted. Even though I've given up, unfortunately I reprogrammed the dogs and they're still waking me up super early every morning!

North Carolina helpfully provided some Florida-like weather last week to help me acclimate. My fingers have been swelling when I run in the heat, so this gave me the chance to try out some different electrolytes. I really love pickle juice after a hot run, but it's a lot to carry with me, so I tried out the Salt Stick fastchews and they seem to work pretty well. I did discover that my stomach absolutely does not want my usual electrolyte drink if I'm also using the fastchews, so I switched back to plain water in my running bottle. Feeling about as prepared as I can be for the temps next week. The possible rain is another story entirely.

I spent the weekend working on my costumes. This will be the first time I've really run in costume, so I'm pretty excited about how everything is coming together.

IMG_1060.jpg

For the 5k I'm running as Fillmore, the VW bus.

IMG_1062.jpg

I'll be George Sanderson for the 10k, handing out socks to all the DLS people who pass me.

IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg

And I was going to run the 10 miler as Zurg but I realized that running 10 miles in all black wasn't my best idea so I've switched to Forky!

Now I just need to give these a quick test run and get everything packed!

I've discovered that I'm superstitious about race weekends! I've done all I can to prepare but I absolutely refuse to say that I think things will go well or that I'm ready. This is interesting, because I'm not superstitious in general, quite the opposite, but I think with race weekends there are so many things that can go wrong, things I can't control, that I feel like I need to be wary. Maybe when things are less new I'll be able to let go of this a bit.

Also (hopefully) registering for Marathon weekend tomorrow! This will be the first time that I've registered for a weekend I've done before. I'm trying for the half again, since I'm doing the Disneyland half as well and I want that sweet coast to coast medal.

Then Wednesday we leave for Florida! I'm looking forward to showing my son what a race weekend is all about. He's been such a big help with my costumes. I'm hoping this will help get him excited about running the 5k at Wine and Dine.

Is that white Forky tank from Amazon? If so, I have two of them in blue and green and they are SO comfortable and light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter