Facebook, Twitter, and the "Me" Generation

Sir Robin Hood

Mouseketeer
Interesting topic for debate.

Are social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace adding fuel to the fire of today's "Me Generation"? Those of us who have accounts on such sites, do we notice a sense of narcissism when observing user's profiles (including our own), status updates, etc, or is it simply social networking--as intended?
Opinions on this?

On a side note to make light of the subject: It is rumored that Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are expected to merge together as one company called "You Twit Face". (Thanks to Conan O'Brien for that one).

But seriously though. Is a narcissistic "Me Generation" healthy for the country? Are social networking sites making narcissism more accessable?

I like Facebook becuase it has allowed me to contact people that I haven't seen in years or would have probably never talked to again. I don't really have anything about myself posted, no pic, nothing. I may add stuff if people ask me to, but otherwise I use it just for social networking.

I find MySpace to pander to that narcissistic predilection. Facebook is actually oriented in the opposite way, for the most part, with members being focused on what's going on in other people's lives rather than in their own.

I am not a fan of MySpace I think it is geared for the teen set, but I do like and use Facebook. I have contacted old school friends that I haven't spoken to in years, I really like that part of it. I also view it as social and not me, me, me.

I am pretty new to Facebook but mainly use it to keep updated on my extended family. Normally, I'd never see pictures of my cousin's birthday party with the whole west coast side of the family gathered together. They're unable to come to my dd's graduation party and yet will be able to see photos of the family here.

Doesn't seem narcissistic to me. :confused3 Of course, I'm only looking at my other middle aged family members' pages. ;)

I like Facebook but it does make me wonder about other people sometimes. I will on a very rare occasion update my status. But mostly I post pics of my DD that I wouldn't send to every single friend, but that they can look at if they are interested. I have some "friends" that post WAY TOO MUCH and is very "me" oriented in my opinion. Do you really have to post EVERY day that you are on your way to work.....that you are taking your lunch break....that it's a crappy day.....and you are on your way home? Seriously??

I'm not a fan of myspace but do like Facebook. But can I ask why people need to share EVERYTHING they do with others.

I was reading one post yesterday that said "Slept late, woke up and got friendly with my husband." :scared1: Umm, who cares??? :confused3

Others post "I'm off to serve dinner to those at the homeless shelter after a full morning of filling care packages for the homebound elderly." Okay, good for you. ;)

If I did post on "the wall", it would read something like "Crap, I forgot to bring my lunch again so I had to spend $5 on a frickin soup downstairs!" :laughing::lmao: But again, who cares?? :goodvibes

I am not a fan of MySpace I think it is geared for the teen set, but I do like and use Facebook. I have contacted old school friends that I haven't spoken to in years, I really like that part of it. I also view it as social and not me, me, me.

I am pretty new to Facebook but mainly use it to keep updated on my extended family. Normally, I'd never see pictures of my cousin's birthday party with the whole west coast side of the family gathered together. They're unable to come to my dd's graduation party and yet will be able to see photos of the family here.

Doesn't seem narcissistic to me. :confused3 Of course, I'm only looking at my other middle aged family members' pages. ;)

ITA with both of the above. As far as I can tell, Twitter is totally ME ME ME. I don't get it at all.

Maybe it's a little narcissistic but then again the whole point of the site is social networking.......to reconnect with old friends and find out what people are up to. If I visit someone's page it's because I want to see what they've been doing. It's no fun visiting a page that contains just a name and some pictures without more detail. :rotfl:

I also limit my friends though. I can understand how if someone's got 300 contacts, 250 of them don't really care that much about every aspect of your life.

I guess it just depends on how you're using Facebook and what you're using it for.

I'm not a fan of myspace but do like Facebook. But can I ask why people need to share EVERYTHING they do with others.

I was reading one post yesterday that said "Slept late, woke up and got friendly with my husband." :scared1: Umm, who cares??? :confused3

Others post "I'm off to serve dinner to those at the homeless shelter after a full morning of filling care packages for the homebound elderly." Okay, good for you. ;)

If I did post on "the wall", it would read something like "Crap, I forgot to bring my lunch again so I had to spend $5 on a frickin soup downstairs!" :laughing::lmao: But again, who cares?? :goodvibes

I know people look at it that way, and it's a shame. Posting status updates, in my mind, is just like making a comment and opening it up to conversation. I have had the funniest conversations with people based on the dumbest status update. My favorite was when my update stated "I just vaccuumed the dog." Everyone chimed in and was chatting with one another (one fight even broke out :laughing:) That's what makes FB fun, IMO. Just like anything else, it's more fun to participate than to just sit back and watch other people.

I have come to know and care more about what is happening with other people than I was before FB. I don't have time to just call and yack with people on the phone, but FB makes keeping in touch with other people easier.

I don't Facebook, MySpace or Twitter. I started a Facebook page after one of my friends was harping about it but never finished it beyond registering. I guess I'm an old fuddy-dud at 34 but I don't want one more thing I have to keep updated.

"Scratched my butt at 1:34 pm. " :rotfl:

I also find it funny that someone will break up with someone by changing their status - my teenage niece told me about that one. :rotfl2:

I think it's great for those that enjoy it but I'm good with telephone calls and email. :thumbsup2

I personally find them pretty stupid. I was finally talked into getting facebook by a friend to keep in touch with a couple of mutual friends out of state. I don't post any pictures and really don't use it at all. I am amazed though at the things that grown people feel the need to update their status with. Don't even get me started on the crap young people put on there. Just my personal opinion.

Twitter - Me.
Myspace - Me.
Facebook - Me/Social networking.

I have chatted with some really old friends that I haven't seen for years thanks to facebook. I have met some great people thanks to facebook. And (like another OP) have had some amazing conversations due to mine or someone else's interesting status update.

Do you really have to post EVERY day that you are on your way to work.....
Gosh no. And I know someone who does that... :eek:

that you are taking your lunch break....
That's silly.

that it's a crappy day.....
That people should post. It is something important; not posting it is exactly like not telling a friend that you're not feeling well -- why would you hide that?

and you are on your way home?
Also very silly.

Well, I've never had a MySpace account and have no clue about Twitter, but many of my friends and I have Facebook pages. (We're all moms in our 30's, 40's and 50's) I also have pages with my adult nieces and nephews.

I love hearing about what is going on with my friends, especially their kids. Most post every day or couple of days and post fun pics (prom pictures, sport, etc) and share what's happening (so and so got a sumemr job, another one made the swim team and so on) We're so busy, it's hard to keep up. I scan each evening on the home page. It does make me feel more "connected". I know it's artificial in a way, but better than nothing!

Now, I do have one friend, from college, who must be online constantly! She must write a new post 4 or 6 times a day. I don't care she is just up from a nap. That's way to much for me, and I tend to ignore many of her posts.

I do sometimes feel, with my younger neices and nephews, that it is pretty narcissistic, what they are posting. It's alot about nothing, IMHO. But, I'm in my 40's and realize I don't "get" the younger generation! :lmao:

It also seems that with my daughters age group, they are "into" the quantity of friends. My friends are all people I know pretty well (friends from today, from college, coworkers that I really like, extended family), not a friend of a friend of a friend I met at a party.

Julia

I know people look at it that way, and it's a shame. Posting status updates, in my mind, is just like making a comment and opening it up to conversation. I have had the funniest conversations with people based on the dumbest status update. My favorite was when my update stated "I just vaccuumed the dog." Everyone chimed in and was chatting with one another (one fight even broke out :laughing:) That's what makes FB fun, IMO. Just like anything else, it's more fun to participate than to just sit back and watch other people.

I have come to know and care more about what is happening with other people than I was before FB. I don't have time to just call and yack with people on the phone, but FB makes keeping in touch with other people easier.

I completely 100% agree with you.

I use FB to find/keep in touch with other people I might not necessarily be able to find. I do have a few people who post wayyy too much about their lives, or take a million stupide quizzes and stuff which then end up all over my FB page. I just got rid of a couple of people I "friended" who did that. I was sick of having pages full of quizzes.

:cutie: I care :cutie:
I like knowing whats going on in my friends lives, even the simple things :flower3:

I use FB to find/keep in touch with other people I might not necessarily be able to find. I do have a few people who post wayyy too much about their lives, or take a million stupide quizzes and stuff which then end up all over my FB page. I just got rid of a couple of people I "friended" who did that. I was sick of having pages full of quizzes.

LOL, you'd hate me... I have random days where I do quizzes like mad!! They are great mindless entertainment!

Gosh no. And I know someone who does that... :eek:

That's silly.

That people should post. It is something important; not posting it is exactly like not telling a friend that you're not feeling well -- why would you hide that?

Also very silly.

Well posting it's a crappy day might not be something you shouldn't post except when it's the same person posting it every day. I swear they never have a good day. I hope they aren't "friends" with their boss. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter