Face Mask for Kids

HappyHammer

Mouseketeer
The face mask for kids is the only thing stopping my family from going this month. My wife and I are double vaccinated and we would have been travelling with our girls aged 10, 7 and 4. We were so excited to be planning a surprise trip for them after all this time and multiple trips cancelled.

It is so frustrating, I spent ages pricing up the disney hotels and planning a day in Paris and was just about to book but double checked the mask rules luckily. For 6 year olds and over to have to wear a face mask all day long, inside and outside does seem extreme when the rest of France is not this strict. We could have coped with them wearing a mask inside or in queues but all day long out in the open does seem extreme. My 7 year old wears glasses to and as I glasses wearer myself, no matter which mask I use they are very difficult with steaming and visibility. Even with the distance selfie spots, for them to not be able to temporarily take their mask of whilst facing their parents for a quick photo while the character is a safe distance away behind them, I mean talk about where is the magic?!

I know there's many who will say they can still spread and I'm not here to get into a big debate over our views on masks etc (I still wear a mask where required or where I wish too on top of this even though double vacc'ed). However, I can't see DLP getting many kids back like it used to until this is reconsidered. We certainly won't be and we've been going to disney theme parks all our lives. They are our happy place. I so hope DLP really consider their stance on this soon.

We are here now with my kids ages 10 and 12. While we have been lucky with mild weather, they have been wearing KN95 (FFP2 equivalent) masks all day for two days without complaint. There are many kids here, most wearing surgical masks and I've not noticed any particularly bothered by them -- more often I see adults with masks below their noses than kids. I do see kids with masks off to eat in lines (this was not allowed in Disneyland California when it first reopened, you had to be seated in designated eating area to take off.your mask and eat).

While I appreciate the extra protection of the Health Pass, there is zero distancing in lines, shops or outdoor areas at this time. Everyone is ignoring all of the signs and messages about distancing; I had someone literally touching me and breathing on me in the Hyperspace Mountain line. In light of that, and with the recent huge increases in cases in France and how easily the Delta variant spreads I can't imagine visiting the parks without compulsory masking. If my kids had their way, everyone 2 and up would have masks to help protect both them and us (that's what we're used to in California).

I do think many people have same feeling. We noticed during our trip last week that there were definitely less kids than usual. I didn't see one tantrum over masks. They seemed to accept it as a part of the park. There were people taking their masks off for castle pictures. There were no CMs in sight. Probably because the castle is now covered by screens.

You know your kids best, but what do they think of the measure. Can you have a discussion with them if they would be able to cope?

And yes, social distancing is gone, unless a CM is near. We asked one time for people behind us to keep their distance. Others we didn't bother.

Our kids around those same ages have been to disney world with masks multiple times now since masks were in place...and it's just not a big deal, I can assure you. The adults definitely seem to have a bigger issue with it than kids of any age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter