Extreme couponing

I always yell at my tv with that show. No one needs that much salad dressing! And a lot of stores changed there policies because of this show. They are borderline hoarders.

You and @MamaLema beat me to it but yeah, coupons just don't work like that here. And although it's a little OT and of no interest to our American friends, am I the only one that HATES having to update the Loblaw's/SuperStore app every time you shop in order to get the discounts? Grrrr. :mad:

Ive never had to do that. It should update automatically every week with the new offers. Maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling it?

I guess I'm too lazy to clip coupons. The only grocery coupons I use are the ones Kroger sends me every couple months. They are usually based on what I normally buy when I shop there so I do use those.

Do they even still have paper coupons any more? I thought they have all migrated online.

Ive never had to do that. It should update automatically every week with the new offers. Maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling it?
I guess it's a moot point for now. I lost my Optimum card the other day and have to figure out how to get it replaced. Grrr. :mad: I suppose next you'll tell me I can download it and just have them scan my phone? Being old is a real drag. :crutches:

I guess it's a moot point for now. I lost my Optimum card the other day and have to figure out how to get it replaced. Grrr. :mad: I suppose next you'll tell me I can download it and just have them scan my phone? Being old is a real drag. :crutches:

*whispers* yes, your card is stored on the app and they can scan your phone, provided your optimum card is linked to the account.

:duck:

You and @MamaLema beat me to it but yeah, coupons just don't work like that here. And although it's a little OT and of no interest to our American friends, am I the only one that HATES having to update the Loblaw's/SuperStore app every time you shop in order to get the discounts? Grrrr. :mad:
To be honest, I don't shop enough at Loblaws to concern myself with the app, although I do frequent No Frills and T&T (which annoyingly isn't a part of the PC Optimum program) quite a bit. So I keep my PC Optimum card in my mobile wallet and that's about it.

Say it ain’t so!!!
Sorry, no can do https://www.moneycrashers.com/myths-tlc-extreme-couponing/
The extreme couponer shows killed coupons and deals. So many places started setting limits on how many coupons you could use per item, and a lot of places stopped the 'cash back' if the coupons caused you to gain cash back.
Understandable if the over value is due to double/triple couponing, but manufacturers reimburse the store for the value of the coupon (plus 8¢ each* for handling, not the price of the item. If the coupon is for a dollar off, and the item costs 89¢, the store gets reimbursed $1.08*, not $.97.

*assumes the handling rate really is still eight cents

Sorry, no can do https://www.moneycrashers.com/myths-tlc-extreme-couponing/

Understandable if the over value is due to double/triple couponing, but manufacturers reimburse the store for the value of the coupon (plus 8¢ each* for handling, not the price of the item. If the coupon is for a dollar off, and the item costs 89¢, the store gets reimbursed $1.08*, not $.97.

*assumes the handling rate really is still eight cents

Good read. Thank you for posting it 😊

I agree with you that today's coupons are nothing special. I see a lot of $1/3 for cereal when it used to be $1/1. Coupons also have smaller expiration windows to prevent people from selling them.

I use coupons and will stock up on things I go through quickly but nothing like that show.

Any time I see that show all I can think about is if those people spent half the amount of time they spend couponing at a minimum wage job they would end up farther ahead and keep the economy churning.

Yessss. Lol. I used to be on a mommy forum and some women would spend hours a day doing this. All I could think was “if you got a job you’d have way more money.” But they always said this was their way of contributing to their households.

Well I have not watched that show specifically, but am aware of the extreme couponing.

From my perspective, I find it fascinating as we really only shop the perimeter of the store with the exception of CERTAIN canned tomatoes...lol. I cannot imagine 75 bottles of ranch dressing because I do not eat any.

It does seem to be a "rush" or addictive kind of thing, a game if you will. I would be going crazy trying to track expiration dates of a stash like that?

Yessss. Lol. I used to be on a mommy forum and some women would spend hours a day doing this. All I could think was “if you got a job you’d have way more money.” But they always said this was their way of contributing to their households.

I mean I do get the contribution thing but are they actively taking care of their children during the 30 hours a week they are organizing circulars and such or are the kids older/with a babysitter while they do that anyway? Seriously, half the time at a minimum wage job and the family budget would be better off.

Every year l our store has a frozen foods sale and the sale price is generally supplemented by an extra $2 off if you buy 5 or something like that. The store brand of frozen veggies end up being around $0.35 a bag. We load up on all kinds of stuff. I buy about 5 cases of veggies. It's always a sad day when my stash is gone and I have to start buying them again.

I'm curious if that show was current. I see all the grocery stores in my area have a limit on same coupon usage and its been that way for awhile. Add to that, where to shoppers get all the coupons anymore seeing as years ago most came from Sunday newspaper inserts and newspapers are a thing of the past now. I have an online site I use "rarely" for coupons and even then I'm only allowed one print per item. Most of the time I just go to my favorite stores app.

I remember free toilet paper.

Kroger’s used to sell one brand of toilet paper for 99 cents for a two-roll package. They also doubled coupons up to 50 cents. So a 50 cent off coupon becomes a dollar off. However, a 75 cent off coupon becomes a dollar off. Any coupon above 99 cents was redeemed at face value.

Every week or so, our TP brand would have coupons in our Sunday paper for 50 cents off on a package. Kroger’s would double it to a dollar. So, free toilet paper.

This brand got smart. Instead of their coupons being 50 cents off one package, they became $1 off two package. No more free toilet paper.

Then Kroger’s eliminated double coupons. And extreme couponing died out.

They should start a business where they help others. I'd give 70% of what I save to someone with coupons.

The show really messed it up and stores changed their policies.

I miss the coupons if back in the day with no expiration date, but companies wanted you to buy their product quickly.

Well I have not watched that show specifically, but am aware of the extreme couponing.

From my perspective, I find it fascinating as we really only shop the perimeter of the store with the exception of CERTAIN canned tomatoes...lol. I cannot imagine 75 bottles of ranch dressing because I do not eat any.

It does seem to be a "rush" or addictive kind of thing, a game if you will. I would be going crazy trying to track expiration dates of a stash like that?

I tried ranch dressing a few weeks ago for the first time to see what the hype was all about. It was so gross!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter