Extra Perks for DVC Members

Mike Bartenhagen

Mouseketeer
I know that there have been dicusions here in regards to extra perks that may be offered to DVC members in the future such as discounted passes, etc. but after our recent trip to SSR I just can't see that this will happen. I say this because most of the time perks are given to get people to buy and this doesn't seem like it is a problem for DVC. When we were at SSR 2 years ago there were a few buildings done and now there are buildings every where and now the announcment of AK. It doesn't seem like DVC needs perks to sell.

Mike

Yes. DVC is popular and selling very well. I guess it's not a secret anymore. ;)

In addition to selling, there are numerous DVC perks that entice us to spend all of our money on property. I.e. AP, dining, entertainment discounts. It is, for my family, more expensive to leave the property for a day than to stay. I suspect Disney will continue 'on property' discounts to ensure that it stays that way.

CapeCodFam said:
It is, for my family, more expensive to leave the property for a day than to stay. I suspect Disney will continue 'on property' discounts to ensure that it stays that way.

I totally agree with that. They do make it difficult to leave Disney. We thought about doing Sea World this year but with the way the Park Hopper tickets are priced after a few days the cost of adding another day is near nothing compared to several hundred dollars for 1 day at Sea World.

Mike

MonkeyPants said:
the best advertised secret I ever saw :lmao:
I know the secret; I just got a tote bag that says so. :lmao:

CapeCodFam said:
.....there are numerous DVC perks that entice us to spend all of our money on property. I.e. AP, dining, entertainment discounts..... I suspect Disney will continue 'on property' discounts to ensure that it stays that way.

Agree. Perks are not meant to get people to buy, they are meant to entice people not to leave. We leave a lot less than we used to before the advent of the AP discount and then the corresponding DDE card. I have no doubt that many other DVRers are a lot like us in that regard.

HBC

I gave a very small thought to the perks/discounts when buying in. I thought they were for what every one else is saying to get us to spend our money there.

In August we spent 7 days at BWV , we only went to a park for 3 of them the rest of the time we lounged around the resort enjoying our leisure.

We spent some money we may not have by renting boats because we had the discount and spending money and time shopping at downtown Disney because of a discount. I'm not saying we wouldn't have or won't again in the future if the discounts aren't there but we did these this specific trip because of perks we had as DVC members.

Lounging by the pool relaxing doesn't cost me a thing out of pocket and if they want all my money they'll treat me like the $2000.00 customer I can be ,not counting my DVC cost.

The "perks" had little or no influence for us to buy into DVC, however, they do encourage you to spend all of your money on property and to purchase that Annual Pass. The discount on shopping is a euphoria that goes straight to my DH's head and with all of the DVC, Annual Pass and DDE "perks" we have to have cast member help to determine which one to use!!

Mike Bartenhagen said:
I say this because most of the time perks are given to get people to buy and this doesn't seem like it is a problem for DVC. When we were at SSR 2 years ago there were a few buildings done and now there are buildings every where and now the announcment of AK. It doesn't seem like DVC needs perks to sell.

Well, given that SSR is the seventh DVC resort, I think you could have made that same argument even before SSR opened.

Still, I think people like the idea of getting a "perk" on some emotional level. Look at something like the price of DVC points. While the end price often fluctuates a bit, the bare minimum discount that has been offered by DVC in recent years is $8 off of the list price. So, why bother having a list price of $101 if you're never going to charge more than $93? Answer: Because you get that emotional response when you tell a prospective member that they can save $8 (or $10, or $15) off of the "normal" price.

As others have said, I agree other discounts are offered as an incentive to keep dollars on Disney property. DVC members are some of the most frequent Disney guests, meaning they are also likely to stray looking for something new (or cheaper) over time.

And also remember the DVC member who buys tomorrow is no less important to the bottom line than one who bought 15 years ago. As long as DVC is actively selling points, they want to make the program as appealing as possible. If they can get a handful of restaurants to agree to a 10% discount and throw in so backstage tour discounts, the program looks that much better to potential members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter