Extra Baggage when Flying Question

sweetbean07

Earning My Ears
I will be flying soon with DS and will need to take his carseat along. We will be flying US Airways and I know that they now charge for a 2nd checked bag. Does anyone know if this includes carseats? If I check our suitcase and his carseat, will we have to pay that extra fee? Just trying to figure out how much to budget for flying. TIA

When did you buy your ticket? USAir's fee starts for tickets purchased 2/26 and after.

I haven't bought my ticket yet....that's why I'm asking. I want to know how much my trip is going to cost me so that I can budget that money.

For travel beginning May 5, 2008, US Airways and United Airlines will begin assessing a $25 fee for a passenger's second checked bag each way. For US Airways customers, travelers who purchased tickets on or before February 26, 2008 are exempt from this policy change. For United Airlines customers, travelers who purchased tickets before February 4, 2008 are exempt from this policy change. Delta customers purchasing tickets for travel after May 1st will be assessed a $25 fee for each passenger's second checked bag each way.
Customers may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee each way.

Additional surcharges of $50 to $100 each way may also apply for checked bags over 50 lbs.

For United Airlines, this fee applies to travel beginning within the U.S. and to/from Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas.

For US Airways, this fee applies to all flights within the U.S., to and from Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe.

For Delta, this fee applies to all Delta flights - domestic and internationl

Yes, I understand all that, I've been to the US Air website and have read all the information. However, since a car seat is required in all vehicles, I was wondering if it was a special circumstance, nowhere is a car seat specifically mentioned in any of the information I have read. Since this is the disboard, I was wondering if any families out there had checked their car seats and if they were charged the extra fee.

I've been following this and many of the sites actually say that car seats and strollers will not be subjected to extra fees. Go to the carrier you are using. There should be an outlined area to discuss this. On United it even says if you have a lap baby you will not be charged extra for the car seat.

United:
12. If I am traveling with my baby on my lap (so I only have one ticket), and I check one bag and my child’s car seat on my ticket, do I have to pay a second bag fee?
No. When traveling with a child, checking car seats and strollers will continue to be free.

Just find the FAQ section of your carrier and check. I actually plan to print it just in case.

I don't see anything in USAir's rules saying carseats are exempt. Does your son have his own ticket? If so, he would also be allowed 1 free piece.

I know when I have flown in the past, car seats and strollers were gate check items. no charge and didn't count for the allowance.
I have also checked a car seat curbside in a car seat bag and not been counted for it. I don't know if that was policy as it was 4 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter