Express Pass and Lodging Choice with Small Kids?

danceintherain

DIS Veteran
We are planning on Universal in March. We will arrive March 9 or 10 and stay until the 14th, when we move over to Disney (BCV) for 5 nights. We will probably have the car packed ready to go and head to a Disney park on the 14th, rather than spending more time at Universal. I would have done more nights at Disney, but my Mom is paying for that part of the trip, and I don't want to change hotels twice. We have 4 kids, so going anywhere is an exercise in herding cats, and I hate packing and unpacking.
I always planned on doing Premier level with the included Express Pass the next time we went to Universal, but now I'm not so sure. With a family of 6, our room options are limited. Even if we could work out to stay in a single room, since we have an "infant" under 3, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Right now, for our dates, I'm coming up with about $650/night/room, or $1300/night for a suite at the Premier level.
We can do a Family Suite for less than $300/night, which is much more appealing. Or a 2BR at Sapphire Falls for around $850/night. Or should we just do an AirBnb nearby? We will have a car, but DH and the 2 year old will likely spend less time in the parks than the rest of us. My parents might be willing to split the cost with us, if there's enough space wherever we stay. At minimum, they will probably stay at the same hotel as us, but may be less willing to pay a premium to do so. My Mom likes being able to walk to parks, and my Dad loves front of the line access, but they get sticker shock very easily.
I'm not sure about the number of days we will actually go to the parks. It depends on what the military discount looks like. If they extend the Freedom Pass, then we could go every day, at least for a couple hours. We would also probably do Volcano Bay. If they don't extend it, then the we will probably do 3-day 2 park P2P, and do a no park day at some point.
Right now, I have 2 kids who like rollercoasters, but don't like going upside down. One won't go on anything that goes upside down. The second will, but seems to lose interest after one or two rides. She will probably ride anything Harry Potter themed though, because she's obsessed right now. I would go on anything, but I'll have 4 kids with me, and DH has some health issues that could mean his day at the park ends if he rides anything remotely intense. His tolerance will likely be impacted the weather too. It will be March, so fingers crossed we get the cooler side of the possible weather. My Dad will ride anything, but probably will ride less if he doesn't have someone to ride with.
So I'm thinking Express Pass isn't worth it for us. Maybe we'll purchase it for one day, and just try our luck the rest of the time?
If Express Pass isn't worth it for us, then is a Premier level hotel worth it? Is staying in a Universal hotel at all worth it?
At Disney, we've essentially been at Moderate level since our Honeymoon. We do have a little more discretionary income now, but have been happy at Moderates. My Mom is the one who insisted on Beach Club Villas for the Disney part of the trip, and I didn't argue too hard. I did love staying at the Swan for part of our last trip. My Mom said she "didn't like anything about that hotel," after our All-Star Music Family Suite stay. Honestly, she prefers AirBnbs, but I see them as a means to an end with 4 kids. I don't like to cook on vacation, so having a kitchen isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm paying for the Universal hotel myself, so my parents' opinion doesn't really matter, but if I'm going to recommend something to them, I want reasonable expectations.
Cabana Bay was my initial choice, because it just seems like so much fun. My whole family can fit in one suite. The pool looks fun, and there's a bowling alley.
Thoughts?

Cabana bay is great for kids (well I as an adult love it too). Bus service is fantastic-much better than disneys. You have the fridge , sink, microwave for quick snacks,or to reheat leftovers. The one challenge is one bathroom for that many people and the bathroom can be on small side although it is split with separate water closet. Convenience to come, go as you please is nice too.
With your group you could also do single rider for when only one or two older kids or adults want to ride the attraction, utilizing early entry to get rides that get longer lines out of the way. Saving that kind of money you could splurge on express for a day if you really wanted.

Cabana bay is great for kids (well I as an adult love it too). Bus service is fantastic-much better than disneys. You have the fridge , sink, microwave for quick snacks,or to reheat leftovers. The one challenge is one bathroom for that many people and the bathroom can be on small side although it is split with separate water closet. Convenience to come, go as you please is nice too.
With your group you could also do single rider for when only one or two older kids or adults want to ride the attraction, utilizing early entry to get rides that get longer lines out of the way. Saving that kind of money you could splurge on express for a day if you really wanted.
Thanks! That makes sense. I know my older son will be all over the single rider line (we had a blast at Disneyland in the spring) but my daughter is shy. I do like the idea of playing it by ear, and buying Express Pass if it becomes untenable. We could also use our first day to gauge what is actually necessary and go from there.
The one bathroom thing shouldn't be a huge deal. We have 2.5 bathrooms in our house, and the kids pretty much all use the powder room for toileting, and the master for showers.
We also just got back from a cruise, and the super tiny bathroom on there worked fine. We don't have any primpers... yet... the kids have to be forced to bathe.
We can request our room and my parents' room to be close together, and if that happens, then we can always send someone "across the hall" to use the other bathroom in an emergency.
It looks like it's a 3 way split too? So the shower is in a room with a sink, and the toilet has its own room? Then a second sink outside the bathroom, and a third in the kitchen area?

Thanks! That makes sense. I know my older son will be all over the single rider line (we had a blast at Disneyland in the spring) but my daughter is shy. I do like the idea of playing it by ear, and buying Express Pass if it becomes untenable. We could also use our first day to gauge what is actually necessary and go from there.
The one bathroom thing shouldn't be a huge deal. We have 2.5 bathrooms in our house, and the kids pretty much all use the powder room for toileting, and the master for showers.
We also just got back from a cruise, and the super tiny bathroom on there worked fine. We don't have any primpers... yet... the kids have to be forced to bathe.
We can request our room and my parents' room to be close together, and if that happens, then we can always send someone "across the hall" to use the other bathroom in an emergency.
It looks like it's a 3 way split too? So the shower is in a room with a sink, and the toilet has its own room? Then a second sink outside the bathroom, and a third in the kitchen area?
Yes bathroom is 3 way split so that does help. If your parents are in separate room some of the suites connect as well. Not sure if there regular rooms that connect to a suite or just suites to suites.
At any rate we like CB a lot. The pools look crowded at times but we’ve never had issues finding chairs. You can also bring your own tube to float the lazy river -I brought the one I bought there home to use on the lake lol-it has handles and a cup holder.
Not sure if they are still doing it but the bowling alley had a special where you could get dinner then free shoes rental. Food was quite good!
If used to smaller bathroom in cruise cabin then you’ll have no issues with cabana bay!

I think Cabana Bay Family Suite is so much fun .
Hope that is your choice for your Universal trip.
…remember to watch for the Online Check in day before arrival to avoid standing in line at front desk!

The only thing I would add is that I wouldn’t count on Express Pass being available to buy when you are there. That week is right during Spring Break season and it’s likely to sell out in advance for those days.
That makes sense. I think I can justify it for one day in advance with what I know already. I'll look at the attractions more closely and figure out how many I think the kids will actually want to ride, then determine if any more than that makes sense. But, on the other hand, if it's going to be crazy crowded, then it might be worth it for half of us every day.

Have you looked to see if there are any AP discounts at the deluxe resorts? Only one of you would need to get an AP for that. Even considering the cost of an AP, you might save $$ if the room discount is good and the EPs would not have to be purchased.

We really like CB but liked the option of EP even better, especially during spring break time. I know you said you don’t like moving hotels but even one night at a deluxe resort gets you two days of EP. Maybe you could pack two separate bags so you don’t have to pack and unpack so much.

Just another option to consider. Have a great time!

Have you looked to see if there are any AP discounts at the deluxe resorts? Only one of you would need to get an AP for that. Even considering the cost of an AP, you might save $$ if the room discount is good and the EPs would not have to be purchased.

We really like CB but liked the option of EP even better, especially during spring break time. I know you said you don’t like moving hotels but even one night at a deluxe resort gets you two days of EP. Maybe you could pack two separate bags so you don’t have to pack and unpack so much.

Just another option to consider. Have a great time!
Can I book more than one room with 1 AP? It doesn't really work if my parents won't have it too. Are AP rates even released for next year yet? I'm not sure I'm using the right search engine.

Can I book more than one room with 1 AP? It doesn't really work if my parents won't have it too. Are AP rates even released for next year yet? I'm not sure I'm using the right search engine.
No Ap rates generally released closer to dates, not months in advance.
If you find dates that work for you book whatever works, then keep checking as rates do change. You don't have to be an AP holder to see rates at Universal-unlike Disney.

No Ap rates generally released closer to dates, not months in advance.
If you find dates that work for you book whatever works, then keep checking as rates do change. You don't have to be an AP holder to see rates at Universal-unlike Disney.
I looked at December, and the rates do look better with the AP. So I'll keep my mind open. I really don't want to move hotels.
If my parents agree to watch the kids for one night, then maybe DH could use the room just us, but put everyone the EP makes sense for on the room.
There's also the possibility of a kid or two sleeping in my parents' room, but the logistics of that could get screwed up easily. My Mom doesn't know how to tell people no, so if any of my siblings opt to extend their trips to go to Universal, my kids could get pushed out easily.

It's just so hard to decide. I know everyone will love CBBR, but the convenience of the other hotels is so appealing.

You could do Endless Summer Resort 2 Bedroom Suite for under 3300 right now for the 9th-14. Then possibly consider Express for only those who might get true use out of it on a specific day. Let us know how you decide.

I second the AP recommendation above. Mine paid for itself in hotel discounts before I even stepped foot in the park. And unlike WDW, your UOAP gets you discounts EVERYWHERE. With the kids you're feeding, that savings adds up quickly when you're getting it on every pretzel, soda, etc. (Also, make sure to check back frequently, as availability will often open up.)

I second the AP recommendation above. Mine paid for itself in hotel discounts before I even stepped foot in the park. And unlike WDW, your UOAP gets you discounts EVERYWHERE. With the kids you're feeding, that savings adds up quickly when you're getting it on every pretzel, soda, etc. (Also, make sure to check back frequently, as availability will often open up.)
Agree with this. I purchased a preferred pass for just myself. While the “savvy traveler” rates were better than any AP rates available during our trip, I saved a ton for food and merchandise while there for the whole family.

You can just buy seasonal passes or standard tickets for everyone else. Only takes one preferred AP to get discounts for your group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter