Experiences with Special Edition Magic Bands?

TXHauntedMansionFan

Tomb Sweet Tomb
Does anyone have any info on their experiences with the special edition Magic Bands (good or bad)? I'm considering purchasing the Haunted Mansion 45th anniversary band for our upcoming trip in December; however, I don't want it to be a headache trying to switch over to it.

Has anyone experienced any difficulties with the new band linking up to your reservation/room/etc?

I'm considering purchasing the Haunted Mansion 45th anniversary band for our upcoming trip in December; however, I don't want it to be a headache trying to switch over to it.
There is nothing to switch over. You just link the MagicBand to your MDE profile and it can then be used just like any other MagicBand.

My son bought a Kylo Ren mb midtrip last year. It worked great in the parks, but we had to stop at the resort front desk because it didn't work at the door.

Yep! We've had no issues with the ones we have purchased. Once you add them to our MDE profiles, and they are good to go until you deactivate them or the battery dies.

No problems at all. We have bought many special edition MB, some the simple decorated ones and some the special LE ones that do fun lights and sounds. All of them work just like the bands that came with a resort stay. Once in MDE they are all the same.

The issue with the room door can happen with any band, special or plain. Sometimes they just forget to set a serial number to access the door. I always ask at the resort desk to check our bands we plan to use on that trip, even the ones that were sent for that stay. 99% of the time they all work fine. But it's good to get them to fix any that don't then vs. later when you are tired and just want in the room.

Yep! We've had no issues with the ones we have purchased. Once you add them to our MDE profiles, and they are good to go until you deactivate them or the battery dies.
MagicBands will continue to work for most functions long after the battery has died. Functions where you need to actually touch the band to a touch point (park entry, room entry, FP+ entry, etc) don't use the battery.

Excellent info - thanks to all for the help. Looks like we'll pick up the special bands!
If you purchase at WDW, the CM can either assist you in linking them to MDE or they can set them up to link later. With the link later option, you would manually link them bands yourself by entering the band id number into MDE.

so once the battery does die then what wont work with the bands? Just trying to see if we squeeze yet another year out of our very old bands. We dont wear them at all, and wasnt sure if we needed to request the new ones and buy a holder for the little center, or keep plugging along with oldies

so once the battery does die then what wont work with the bands? Just trying to see if we squeeze yet another year out of our very old bands. We dont wear them at all, and wasnt sure if we needed to request the new ones and buy a holder for the little center, or keep plugging along with oldies
If you are staying on site why not go on and get the new ones?

That's what we do. Something is wrong with my partner's profile so we can't even decline MagicBands for him, so we just new ones for both of us.

I've also started using our initials and check in date for the customization so we will know how old the bands are.

we dont wear them, and the new ones appear even larger than the old. I have them rolled tightly into small circles as of now. We just keep using the same old ones year after year and wasnt sure how long they last.

we dont wear them, and the new ones appear even larger than the old. I have them rolled tightly into small circles as of now. We just keep using the same old ones year after year and wasnt sure how long they last.
Depends on how old your current ones are. If they are 1st generation these new ones will roll in to an even tighter ball than the original ones did. The band is more flexible.
Kids get a kick out of the names showing up on displays or the fun options that may be on HM. I wouldn't discount those totally

Depends on how old your current ones are. If they are 1st generation these new ones will roll in to an even tighter ball than the original ones did. The band is more flexible.
Kids get a kick out of the names showing up on displays or the fun options that may be on HM. I wouldn't discount those totally
thanks for that tip! I was worried that even rolled the wideness around the middle would make it larger to stuff into a pocket or tiny purse. Maybe we will go ahead and order new ones and see how they fit!

My son bought a Kylo Ren mb midtrip last year. It worked great in the parks, but we had to stop at the resort front desk because it didn't work at the door.
OP, we've had this same issue with SOME of our SE bands, and no issues at all with others. Either way, they ultimately work just fine. :)

thanks for that tip! I was worried that even rolled the wideness around the middle would make it larger to stuff into a pocket or tiny purse. Maybe we will go ahead and order new ones and see how they fit!
Yeah, it can't hurt. And if you hate them, then don't use them, use the old ones. You can always take the middle out and carry just that in your pocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter