Excuse me while I vent on my resale

bastraker

DIS Veteran
This resale timeline is KILLING me!!! I know I should've expected it to take awhile, but there was the possibility of this thing coming together in a timely manner. Note that none of this has anything to do with either the resale or closing company which have both been fantastic.

2/4 - Offer accepted
2/8 - Out to Dis for ROFR
3/1 - Passed ROFR (painful waiting on this but better than a full 30)
3/3 - Final docs recieved
3/8 - Buyer(me) Paperwork and final funds received by closing company
3/16 - Seller paperwork received (really man that long to fill out some paper)
3/18 - Come to find out that the seller paperwork was filled out incorrectly and some has to be redone :lmao:

Now I know this is all supposed to take about 8 weeks but I have a few irons in the fire waiting on closing so I'm chomping at the bit.

We are going to see the Big Mick at the end of April, a trip we had booked prior to buying the points, actually staying at BLT with cash for half the trip. So it would be nice to have the DVC cards in hand to upgrade our park tickets to APs with the discount and also maybe rebook the room with MS in order to add DDP. There are ways around each of these issues, SSR for temps and using AP booked room to add DDP, but not really ideal.

Since we are only buying 100 points I am trying to get a decent point transfer in to hold us for awhile until we can add-on. We go at least twice a year. Have/had a perfect opportunity that would see us through 2012, but now that may be gone since this is taking so long, fingers crossed they are still waiting.

Worse of all we would like to book our first official DVC trip to our new home BLT for October but with the dreaded 7 month point slowly passing our options are getting more and more limited, gonna have to waitlist now and probably book Nov instead, bummer.

OK I'm done. All this being said I would still buy resale again, and probably vent again.

Sorry for the delay's. Now you know why some will always pay a premium direct to Disney to avoid the hassle and pain of waiting and waiting and waiting. Good luck and hopefully everything will work out.

We are in the same boat you are in. We passed ROFR 3 weeks ago, and no closing papers yet. Turns out the seller's documents aren't in order, and they are in no hurry to correct the situation. We will probably just cancel the contract if it doesn't close by the closing time in the contract (the 29th), and just start over later. The contract has '08 and '09 points that we would need to use on the 2 trips we have coming up - it is getting so late that we would not be able to use those points. It is so frustrating - this is our 4th contract, and the only one to cause us any trouble.

This one part of your post confused me -

We are going to see the Big Mick at the end of April, a trip we had booked prior to buying the points, actually staying at BLT with cash for half the trip. So it would be nice to have the DVC cards in hand to... rebook the room with MS in order to add DDP.

I didn't know MS could rebook for you. I thought MS would be booking from a different batch (for lack of a better term) of rooms than the one you booked from Disney Central Reservation Office. I didn't think the rooms from MS would be available at BLT in April on such short notice.

This one part of your post confused me -

I didn't know MS could rebook for you. I thought MS would be booking from a different batch (for lack of a better term) of rooms than the one you booked from Disney Central Reservation Office. I didn't think the rooms from MS would be available at BLT in April on such short notice.

I believe you are correct, Best Aunt. There is no guarantee that a cash room will be available through MS.

This resale timeline is KILLING me!!! I know I should've expected it to take awhile, but there was the possibility of this thing coming together in a timely manner. Note that none of this has anything to do with either the resale or closing company which have both been fantastic.

2/4 - Offer accepted
2/8 - Out to Dis for ROFR
3/1 - Passed ROFR (painful waiting on this but better than a full 30)
3/3 - Final docs recieved
3/8 - Buyer(me) Paperwork and final funds received by closing company
3/16 - Seller paperwork received (really man that long to fill out some paper)
3/18 - Come to find out that the seller paperwork was filled out incorrectly and some has to be redone :lmao:

Now I know this is all supposed to take about 8 weeks but I have a few irons in the fire waiting on closing so I'm chomping at the bit.

We are going to see the Big Mick at the end of April, a trip we had booked prior to buying the points, actually staying at BLT with cash for half the trip. So it would be nice to have the DVC cards in hand to upgrade our park tickets to APs with the discount and also maybe rebook the room with MS in order to add DDP. There are ways around each of these issues, SSR for temps and using AP booked room to add DDP, but not really ideal.

Since we are only buying 100 points I am trying to get a decent point transfer in to hold us for awhile until we can add-on. We go at least twice a year. Have/had a perfect opportunity that would see us through 2012, but now that may be gone since this is taking so long, fingers crossed they are still waiting.

Worse of all we would like to book our first official DVC trip to our new home BLT for October but with the dreaded 7 month point slowly passing our options are getting more and more limited, gonna have to waitlist now and probably book Nov instead, bummer.

OK I'm done. All this being said I would still buy resale again, and probably vent again.
I see nothing about the time line thus far to complain about, 8 weeks could easily turn in to 10-12 without any major problems to be registered in the system, esp since your ROFR took almost a full month and there was an error in the paperwork.

What Co. did you purchase the resale through? I went with Jaki Apetz and the resale went through quickly, of course that was several years ago. I received my information from Disney and my card shortly thereafter, I was amazed at the time span. ROFR certainly didn't take a whole month. Going through Disney is faster but resales are much more affordable, at least in my case.

Hang in there, once everything is settle you'll many, many years of Disney joy to come! pixiedust:

What Co. did you purchase the resale through? I went with Jaki Apetz and the resale went through quickly, of course that was several years ago. I received my information from Disney and my card shortly thereafter, I was amazed at the time span. ROFR certainly didn't take a whole month. Going through Disney is faster but resales are much more affordable, at least in my case.

Hang in there, once everything is settle you'll many, many years of Disney joy to come! pixiedust:

At times during the past year or so, Disney has been taking the full month to answer back on ROFR. So, when buying resale, one should expect that ROFR will take the full month, and be happy when it doesn't. As others have said, the downside of buying resale is that it can take some time. The upside is the great price you can get by doing so.

What Co. did you purchase the resale through?

I kinda wonder about that too, although in all honestly, it's usually a combination of factors, not just the resale company, causing the hold up. Your experience, though, does make me feel a little better about our recent decision to walk away from a deal where everyone, except us, seemed to be dragging their heels-everything was happening more slowly than we expected. Your situation is something we thought about maybe looking forward to happening. Not all resales happen this slowly. Here's hoping everything has a happy ending SOON!

OK just to reiterate, my situation has absolutly nothing to do with the resale company or the closing company, they have done everything they are supposed to in a timely manner. I couldn't ask for or expect more, the closing company has even been apologetic for something they have absolutly no control over. I would not hesitate to use them again and probably will.

My deal will probably end up happening in the 8 weeks they told me it would take. My problem is that it could have come together quicker but there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency from the seller. I went from OK this is gonna take 8 weeks or so, to wow this thing is gonna happen even faster and I got my hopes up on a few things (counting chickens before they hatch), to now being bummed about possibly losing some of those chickens I counted.

It is what it is. I knew what I was getting involved in. I do the math and I just can't see purchasing directly, even with the benefit of seeing points pretty much the same day as I read another poster just describe. It must be nice but not worth the added cost in my opinion.

The whole MS rebook thing I'm just crossing my fingers for, not the same inventory as standard bookings but also not the same as available point rooms from what I understand, it's a shot in the dark. Not only would a room need to be available at this late date but I'd also have to get a 40% or so discount for it to make sense. But if it does happen I could do DDP and TOWL!!

Now if my glass was super half full like my buddy Dean I would be thankful that this thing doesn't take 12 weeks, but my glass just doesn't quite look like that to me. ;)

Don't cancel that cash rooms yet.. I just tried to get DVC at BLT in May and there were NO ROOMS AT THE INN.:rolleyes1 All I wanted was a Studio for any week in May any view, I didn't care:cloud9: but it was a no go so I'm back at my Home of SSR :) So, I would make sure that there is a room before you cancel that cash ressie:goodvibes

.... Not only would a room need to be available at this late date but I'd also have to get a 40% or so discount for it to make sense. But if it does happen I could do DDP and TOWL!!...

The best discount you would get with MS would be 25% off the rack rate - if it was available. But this late, if the room was available you'd have to pay rack rate.

I only buy add ons through DVC because they are small (30 ) point contracts and not worth going through resale.

We closed in one week on a DVC contract 10 days ago and yesterday I was called by a resales group who, after waiting a year, had a 30 point contract that with closing costs ended up be about 100 per point versus the 106 I paid. Then during the call the contract became pending and was gone. Not worth the wait.

Maybe for the larger contracts that sit for months & months its worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter