Excursions with small children

heather913

Mouseketeer
I just booked our first cruise!!! 7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy next May.

Any fun excursions you can recommend with children ages 9, 7, and 3? A lot of the stuff that looks fun my little guy won't be old enough for. Other than a beach day or siteseeing, what excursions do you recommend? Our ports are Cozymel, Tortola, & Cayman.

You might want to mention the itinerary in the thread name. I hope you get some good suggestions.

We enjoyed the chocolate and piñata workshop in Cozumel.

In Falmouth we did a food tour but your 3 year old might have a hard time with that one.

Tortola is part of the Eastern Car. cruises and Disney still isn't going there until later this summer, I believe. Did you mean you're going to Falmouth and not Tortola? We stayed on the ship in Falmouth and Grand Cayman. Our stingray excursion on Grand Cayman was cancelled due to rough seas. I never thought I'd stay on the ship during a cruise, but we had a lot of fun. We did a dolphin excursion in Cozumel, but your 3 yr old isn't old enough for that. Grand Cayman is suppose to have really nice beaches. Some places have those glass bottom boats and semi-subs that you can go for a ride on. Haven't been on one, but I believe there's no age restrictions for them.

Last edited:

No suggestions but a thought....before booking an excursion that involves being cooped up in a bus (possibly hot, hilly, winding, etc.), consider how your 3 year old is going to react. Does he melt down easily? If so, you will not only make yourself miserable but everyone else. We just had this happen in St. Thomas where 3 screaming, whiney kids pretty much ruined an expensive several hour excursion for everyone else. I felt sorry for the kids and sorry for everyone else. Less sorry for the parents. If you don't want to do a beach, maybe a private excursion?

Honestly, I recommend beaches over sightseeing with small kids.

Put them in a hat and a long sleeve rash guard and you can have a great day!

Or option B, if you are comfortable with it, is to leave child little one in nursery.

We are going to St. Maarten and St. Thomas in a week with a 7 year old and 2 year old. In St. Maarten, we are not doing an excursion. Just decided we will just hop off the boat for a bit and then get back on. Husband will go scuba diving. In St. Thomas we are going on the Coral World excursion. I thought about doing a bus tour in St. Maarten and decided that I should be nice to everyone else on the bus. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter