Excursions with no car seat for 3 year old

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Hello!
We have an excursion booked for St. Thomas. Its the "Coral World Comeback". It does say there is a 25 minute ride. It doesn't say if its in a bus or car. Anyone know? I'm not sure how comfortable I am putting my 30 pound 3 year old in a car without a car seat.
Thanks in advance.

We just did that. It's in a van. When a lot of people sign up, they just add more vans rather than a larger vehicle. Unfortunately not suitable for a 3 year old without a car seat. (We have a 7 year old.) Maybe he's tall enough for a Mifold?

We just did that. It's in a van. When a lot of people sign up, they just add more vans rather than a larger vehicle. Unfortunately not suitable for a 3 year old without a car seat. (We have a 7 year old.) Maybe he's tall enough for a Mifold?

Thank you. I’m not sure what to do about an excursion then. We are doing a boat transfer on Tortola so that’s covered but nothing seems appropriate on St. Thomas.

You could book a cab with a car seat to do Coral World on your own. It really doesn’t require a formal excursion.

We did this excursion a few years back. We are a family of 3 and we were grouped with a family of 5. We were assigned to a Taxi van. I honestly thought we were doing to be is a car wreck. Our driver was terrible, all over the rode. The group behind us had a smaller child and they told them there was no need for a car seat. As mentioned above you could bring your own car seat and just take your own cab, no need for a Disney excursion.

Our DD is now 12. I know it is hard with transportation. When she was younger we just used to walk around the ports a lot and held off on excursions until she was a little older.

We did an EC cruise over Thanksgiving. There is a new Pirate museum right across the street from the port. We enjoyed and it was a quick walk. Just another option!

Just for comparison most of the public transportation in St Thomas is converted pick ups that have bench seating in the bed of the truck under an awning. So even bringing car seats it can be a bit of a hunt to get one that could use the seat (they’re around but when several ships are in port they may not be easy to get).

Just for comparison most of the public transportation in St Thomas is converted pick ups that have bench seating in the bed of the truck under an awning. So even bringing car seats it can be a bit of a hunt to get one that could use the seat (they’re around but when several ships are in port they may not be easy to get).
Yeah, it was like that in Tortola, also
tortola magic 2010 buses T29060 100_2800 1500.jpg

We did this excursion a few years back. We are a family of 3 and we were grouped with a family of 5. We were assigned to a Taxi van. I honestly thought we were doing to be is a car wreck. Our driver was terrible, all over the rode. The group behind us had a smaller child and they told them there was no need for a car seat. As mentioned above you could bring your own car seat and just take your own cab, no need for a Disney excursion.

Our DD is now 12. I know it is hard with transportation. When she was younger we just used to walk around the ports a lot and held off on excursions until she was a little older.

We did an EC cruise over Thanksgiving. There is a new Pirate museum right across the street from the port. We enjoyed and it was a quick walk. Just another option!

I'll look into the pirate museum - they love pirates. We could bring our own car seat but that seems like a lot of work just to go to Coral World?

We will have a 1.5 yr old with us and have decided to skip excursions. Just too much of a hassle to bring a car seat.

We did a couple of excursions on our Eastern cruise a few years back when DS was not quite 3. Honestly if we could go back in time we would skip them all. Too much hassle. The beach excursion we did used coach busses so no car seat issues. But then we were at the beach with a small child, on someone else’s schedule.

We did walk to a butterfly conservatory on our own at one port and that was the best port activity we did.

Now that DS is older we have a mi-fold car seat and we hop in a taxi at port and ask the driver to lake us to the least crowded beach he or she knows. We have found some truly amazing small beaches that way.

Staying on the ship can be terrific and we still do that sometimes. Fewer people in the pool, fewer playing basketball or mini golf or using the water slides. Fewer big kids running like wild animals in the little kid splash pad ;)

We did a couple of excursions on our Eastern cruise a few years back when DS was not quite 3. Honestly if we could go back in time we would skip them all. Too much hassle. The beach excursion we did used coach busses so no car seat issues. But then we were at the beach with a small child, on someone else’s schedule.

We did walk to a butterfly conservatory on our own at one port and that was the best port activity we did.

Now that DS is older we have a mi-fold car seat and we hop in a taxi at port and ask the driver to lake us to the least crowded beach he or she knows. We have found some truly amazing small beaches that way.

Staying on the ship can be terrific and we still do that sometimes. Fewer people in the pool, fewer playing basketball or mini golf or using the water slides. Fewer big kids running like wild animals in the little kid splash pad ;)

Was the butterfly conservatory at St. Thomas?

We just did excursions within walking distance on our cruise when DS was 3. Even though we had the car seat in the cabin. It really was easier.

In St Thomas, we passed the pirate museum on our way to Coral World and it really was very close to port. We'd wanted to fit that in as well but the timing was off because our excursion started so late.

The butterfly conservatory was in St. Thomas but it has closed. And speaking of attractions, Blackbeard's Castle still hasn't repaired enough hurricane damage to reopen. That was another we'd looked into.

I'll look into the pirate museum - they love pirates. We could bring our own car seat but that seems like a lot of work just to go to Coral World?
The Pirate Museum was really nice. Disney does excursions there but not just the museum by itself. We got there early and had the entire museum to ourselves. One of the guides walked around with our DD and told her all kinds of random knowledge. We were on the second level before another family came into the museum. After we spent way too much time in the gift shop (I think my daughter looked at everything). The Disney excursion was just walking up.

I am right at this moment writing up the Coral World portion of the trip report. It starts at post #32.

I don’t remember. I just know we could easily walk there from the ship. But it’s probably gone from the hurricanes.

Might have been Key West. We walked to one there and in a trip where we went on a Disney cruise and Disney World the thing she remembers is seeing the butterflies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter