Exchange OUCH!

Sue M

DIS Veteran
Went to bank last week to transfer $ into my USD acct. $300 USD cost me $419 :crazy2: yuck.

Agreed! Disney trip and Mediterranean cruise are paid for but now we're saving for spending money. USD exchange is shocking:eek: and the Euro is even worse! :faint:

WDW Nov room almost paid in full, because of exchange decided to stay at Pop. But still have to find airfare,for Nov, and save for spending money for both Aug & Nov trips. I think I may use Alaska miles for one way in Nov. I don't see CAD rebounding anytime soon.
Wouldn't it be great if Disney offered CAD at Par for rooms!!! But thankful for ticket offer.

WDW Nov room almost paid in full, because of exchange decided to stay at Pop. But still have to find airfare,for Nov, and save for spending money for both Aug & Nov trips. I think I may use Alaska miles for one way in Nov. I don't see CAD rebounding anytime soon.
Wouldn't it be great if Disney offered CAD at Par for rooms!!! But thankful for ticket offer.
We are staying at POP too- partly to save money and partly because we love it there. We do prefer POFQ because of the boat to DTD, but otherwise, we're completely happy at POP. Hoping we can still get a quiet water view at POP with the renovations. It would be great to get an at PAR for room / shopping at Disney. Somehow, despite the exchange, we always manage to have enough money to go to Disney ;)

We are staying at POP too- partly to save money and partly because we love it there. We do prefer POFQ because of the boat to DTD, but otherwise, we're completely happy at POP. Hoping we can still get a quiet water view at POP with the renovations. It would be great to get an at PAR for room / shopping at Disney. Somehow, despite the exchange, we always manage to have enough money to go to Disney ;)
We will be able to save enough, but will be on a slimmer budget this trip with low CAD! No deluxe, not even moderate, won't be shopping much. Minimal Suvies, and watching food budget. We can still go, but dollar is definitely having an impact on spending.
I'd like a water view at Pop too. Additional benefit of being closer to AoA bridge.

It is absolutely painful. I've been putting 50$ a week into a US account to spread the pain out.
I am doing this too. Every pay day!

I feel the pain as well, have a DCL cruise booked for Feb 2018 and still owe 3000.00 USD.
Ouch :worried:

Yes, it hurts so much! We prefer to use cash on our trips and 1k CAD got us 718USD. Sigh.......
I have a CIBC USD savings acct and USD Visa. I'm uncomfortable carrying that much cash around so I preload my USD Visa before trip with approx what I think we'll spend and use the Visa for most things. I do bring some cash too.

After yearly trips to Disneyworld from 2008 to 2015, I finally accepted last year that Disney is over for us.
With codes and airfare sales we could afford to stay at mods for a few of those years. Now semi retired ( partner retired, I'm not) Disney is not worth 1.35Cdn to the US dollar. We just can't afford to spend that much on a one week vacation. We hoped to take great grand kids one day, but the dollar will have to improve.

We're at Universal now. We have a family suite at Cabana Bay and stopped for groceries before we got here . Breakfast ,most lunches and snacks have been in the room. We are AP holders and this is our second trip with them .

We have an August trip to Disney . We decided to stay offsite with a full kitchen to offset food and accommodation costs and earned our five day passes through airmiles. I'll be using credit card points for our car rental . Flights for both trips were free with JetBlue credit .

All the above cuts and deals and savings made it possible to go Orlando twice this year and stay in the regular travel budget . But this is the last of our trips here until the dollar improves. I can't justify adding 40% to the travel budget for the same things I've seen and done so many times . We are excited to go to the Rockies next summer and out East the year after .

I was first planning to visit Tokyo Disneyland this August. But DD is writing her MCAT in August and I have an DCL placeholder expiring this August, so I decided a Disney trip this year. With USD staying high, I would rather visit other places than visiting the US again. That's why I didn't buy extra Canadian discounted tickets. I don't know when we will return. We are planning to visit Tokyo/Seoul next summer. Maybe Shanghai Disney or Europe the following year. The world is so big and there are many interesting places to go.

I've been putting around $140 CAD in my USD chequing account every month until we leave. It's painful seeing the exchange especially when it was never this good when I was living in the US and visiting my then boyfriend (now husband). However we won't be going on any extended trips in the near future (planning to finally give his parents some grandkids) so I'm biting the bullet, taking deep breaths, and telling myself that it will all be worth it.

We're at Universal now. We have a family suite at Cabana Bay and stopped for groceries before we got here . Breakfast ,most lunches and snacks have been in the room. We are AP holders and this is our second trip with them .

We have an August trip to Disney . We decided to stay offsite with a full kitchen to offset food and accommodation costs and earned our five day passes through airmiles. I'll be using credit card points for our car rental . Flights for both trips were free with JetBlue credit .

All the above cuts and deals and savings made it possible to go Orlando twice this year and stay in the regular travel budget . But this is the last of our trips here until the dollar improves. I can't justify adding 40% to the travel budget for the same things I've seen and done so many times . We are excited to go to the Rockies next summer and out East the year after .
Yes! I think we will consider Universal trip to vs WDW. We went to Universal around 3 yrs? Ago. I'd have to look at my ticker, lol. We had a great time. The tickets and resorts are lower than WDW and you get more. Their value resort is more like a WDW moderate, and the deluxe are really deluxe. We stayed at Portofino that trip then GF. While we love GF, Portofino blew it out of the water.
This trip staying at Pop. Exchange is brutal. And WDW resort price hikes for rooms is getting to much to justify.
We had a 3 night Univ. stay that could easily be longer. I could easily make it a 10 day stay with the addition of adding sea world and aquatia. The family suites at Cabana Bay look quite reasonable. And resort looks fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter