ESPN Layoffs

I agree with you totally...

But I have a problem with the homer local coverage too...it has gotten much worse since I was a kid...

The MLB network is great because they try to promote

NFL is awful because they try to be espn lite...

NHL is good because the Canadians are involved.

Espn has ruined the NBA.

Like I said...BIG problems.

I dont know....i think the NBA coverage has been excellent...last seasons postseason was exceptional

I agree with you totally...

But I have a problem with the homer local coverage too...it has gotten much worse since I was a kid...

The MLB network is great because they try to promote

NFL is awful because they try to be espn lite...

NHL is good because the Canadians are involved.

Espn has ruined the NBA.

Like I said...BIG problems.

I only watch MLB and NHL so maybe that's why I'm still okay with the local coverage haha. We have SNY for baseball and MSG network for NHL and I find most of those guys to be loyal to their team (Mets and Rangers) but not unfair to the others. They don't really breed controversy and I like the programs they make about the teams and fans that run before or after games. Also Broadway Boxing is always on the MSG network haha.

Judging by their not so stellar reporting regarding the New England Patriots, I would say their new arm had become a tool of the leagues themselves. A retooling in that area may not be the worst thing

...seriously, everyone respects the pats accomplishments...but nobody outside of Connecticut likes them at all. They have made themselves completely unlikeable.

The pats are not "disrespected"...it's just they are unappealing and the networks follow the river where it goes...the pats have made themselves more dislikable than the steroid era Yankees at that point...

I mean...WEEI is the right place for the "nobody likes us" stuff, is it not?

All due respect.

I think it's just too much NBA. I don't watch the NBA except maybe a couple times a year for my home team which is in one of the smallest markets already.

The NBA is not a 16 hour a day product and that's what espn is selling...they are mistaken.

I love hockey and baseball...but espn horribly overexposed both of those products as well...too many stations, too much airtime, then trying to find ways to make the product "cheaper"

It's a Dutch door

I only watch MLB and NHL so maybe that's why I'm still okay with the local coverage haha. We have SNY for baseball and MSG network for NHL and I find most of those guys to be loyal to their team (Mets and Rangers) but not unfair to the others. They don't really breed controversy and I like the programs they make about the teams and fans that run before or after games. Also Broadway Boxing is always on the MSG network haha.

I have watched outside of the local market for decades and I tend to watch much more than my home teams...

I mean, the caps are standing on the train tracks on the way to another cup and they best step aside, but I watched most of the first round series as well...

We seem cut from the same type of cloth...and at least you're not a yanker fan ;)

The suits are quiet a bit worried about ESPN, their has been talk of a dramatic change. I don’t mean just layoffs.

Wish I could say more. I can say I personally hope it happens. I haven’t watched ESPN in years.

The suits are quiet a bit worried about ESPN, their has been talk of a dramatic change. I don’t mean just layoffs.

Wish I could say more. I can say I personally hope it happens. I haven’t watched ESPN in years.

Disney is gonna have to cut the cord...this is there biggest problem and it's contributing to others.

I have watched outside of the local market for decades and I tend to watch much more than my home teams...

I mean, the caps are standing on the train tracks on the way to another cup and they best aside, but I watched most of the first round series as well...

We seem cut from the same type of cloth...and at least you're not a yanker fan ;)

haha. I'm actually an Astros fan but I'm about to marry into a family that bleeds Blue and Orange for the Mets and well I didn't have much choice though. I will hate the Yankees to the day I die though. (only sort of kidding hate is a strong word). I still have issues with the Mets stealing Beltran from the Astros all those years ago but I'm mostly over it.

For hockey I am truly just a hockey fan. The Rangers are the team here in NYC and again marrying into a family that bleeds for them so it was an easy choice. With that said I can put on any game and enjoy it. Now I will never like Pittsburgh or the Bruins but the rest of them I can get on board.

Also I pray every night that your beloved Caps beat the Penguins in this round. I believe it is the only hope the Rangers have at the Cup. If we go up against the Penguins we just aren't nasty enough to compete with that team. The Caps and Rangers would not only be great Hockey but I think give both teams an equal chance and pull it out to a game 7 situation.

Disney is gonna have to cut the cord...this is there biggest problem and it's contributing to others.
ESPN is going to have a real hard time cutting the cord until sometime after these contracts have expired. They simply can't afford to not be forcing people who don't care about the NBA to pay for the NBA package. The MLB and Hockey contracts aren't as bad, but same thing. So unless a third path opens, ESPN is in a decade of trouble. Now it still makes money hand over fist, so we aren't at a crisis point yet. But I'm thinking by the middle of the NBA contract ESPN will be starting to suck some pretty bad wind given current trends.

ESPN and Disney need to come up with a way to stream their content as a stand alone product...and soon.

I also agree with the too much commentary and not enough sports. I miss the days of random **** being on during the day. I listen to sports radio in the car, so i get enough of it there, I just can't handle the jock sniffers on ESPN shouting and telling everyone how wrong and stupid they are when they disagree. Stephen A. Smith is the worst.

haha. I'm actually an Astros fan but I'm about to marry into a family that bleeds Blue and Orange for the Mets and well I didn't have much choice though. I will hate the Yankees to the day I die though. (only sort of kidding hate is a strong word). I still have issues with the Mets stealing Beltran from the Astros all those years ago but I'm mostly over it.

For hockey I am truly just a hockey fan. The Rangers are the team here in NYC and again marrying into a family that bleeds for them so it was an easy choice. With that said I can put on any game and enjoy it. Now I will never like Pittsburgh or the Bruins but the rest of them I can get on board.

Also I pray every night that your beloved Caps beat the Penguins in this round. I believe it is the only hope the Rangers have at the Cup. If we go up against the Penguins we just aren't nasty enough to compete with that team. The Caps and Rangers would not only be great Hockey but I think give both teams an equal chance and pull it out to a game 7 situation.

Wow...she's a ranger and met fan? Just how Italian is she? 130%?

And I hate to mention it: but the pens, owned by the greatest athlete I will ever see with these two eyes, are better this year than last and better than both the caps and the rangers...

BUT...I think the hockey fatigue has them losing to the caps this time...

I actually see the rangers getting an easy series and beating the caps in the next round...made that prediction the other day...

...I'll be watching baseball ;)

ESPN and Disney need to come up with a way to stream their content as a stand alone product...and soon.

I also agree with the too much commentary and not enough sports. I miss the days of random **** being on during the day. I listen to sports radio in the car, so i get enough of it there, I just can't handle the jock sniffers on ESPN shouting and telling everyone how wrong and stupid they are when they disagree. Stephen A. Smith is the worst.

I think they know that nobody will pay a subscription price for espn alone...

If they would, it would be out there In mass by now.

You know disney is good with research...and that research can't be good...

I think that was their critical error.

Trying to elevate commentary above sports, instead of the supplemental role that commentary should play.

Perhaps they are going back to that?

I just can't stand that Sportsnation/two people yelling format. What are we watching here?

Fully agree - and you can tell it is so forced half the time

I do still listen to ESPN radio some time as they do get a ton of experts on ... like now, in preparation for the NFL draft (though I sure I can find that elsewhere as well)

They just got so into trying to be being culturally relevant and away from just covering sports. I do get the logic behind trying to get the contracts for the actual sporting events but a) they bought at the wrong time and b) they dissed off hockey thinking they were too big for it now when they should have cultivated that relationship and then added other sports

ESPN is going to have a real hard time cutting the cord until sometime after these contracts have expired. They simply can't afford to not be forcing people who don't care about the NBA to pay for the NBA package. The MLB and Hockey contracts aren't as bad, but same thing. So unless a third path opens, ESPN is in a decade of trouble. Now it still makes money hand over fist, so we aren't at a crisis point yet. But I'm thinking by the middle of the NBA contract ESPN will be starting to suck some pretty bad wind given current trends.

Don't disagree...

The MLB contract is manageable...they don't have a hockey one (they just fired 90% of their hockey staff)...

But the NBA contract is an albatross and the NFL one isn't much better.

NFL contracts are turning into loss leaders for all networks as ad money is on the decline...and espn pays for almost no actual NFL content. One crappy game a week nobody watches.

well, except for that time Keith Hernandez went off on thinking it was wrong when there was a woman in the dug out :D

Also, Gary Cohen is never going to live down calling Daniel Murphy a "net negative"

well, except for that time Keith Hernandez went off on thinking it was wrong when there was a woman in the dug out :D

Also, Gary Cohen is never going to live down calling Daniel Murphy a "net negative"

That's true haha. Hernandez has his moments and I think since that he has at least learned to not say it on air. Gary on the other hand you are right will never leave that down. Of course good ole' Murph is seen as a trader in these parts so not sure if anyone cares that Gary got that wrong. They aren't with out their faults but I'd prefer Cohen's passion for the game over the dry ESPN guys any day. It is also easy to tell when there is no hope left for either team when you start hearing Keith, Ron, and Gary talk about their plans for the next week haha.

That's true haha. Hernandez has his moments and I think since that he has at least learned to not say it on air. Gary on the other hand you are right will never leave that down. Of course good ole' Murph is seen as a trader in these parts so not sure if anyone cares that Gary got that wrong. They aren't with out their faults but I'd prefer Cohen's passion for the game over the dry ESPN guys any day. It is also easy to tell when there is no hope left for either team when you start hearing Keith, Ron, and Gary talk about their plans for the next week haha.

Seriously...I love the mets team more than any in baseball...especially Ronnie...

They are great. I wish I could trade Jerry remy and a player to be named later for Darling.

Don't disagree...

The MLB contract is manageable...they don't have a hockey one (they just fired 90% of their hockey staff)...

But the NBA contract is an albatross and the NFL one isn't much better.

NFL contracts are turning into loss leaders for all networks as ad money is on the decline...and espn pays for almost no actual NFL content. One crappy game a week nobody watches.

Huh. Just goes to show how much I watch ESPN and how much I care about hockey...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter