Epipen carrying case

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
Hello…hope this is the right place for my question.

My son was recently diagnosed with a pork and lamb allergy. He reacts very infrequently and has never had an anaphylactic reaction. In fact, his doctor told us to allow him to eat it as long as he isn’t reacting often or severely. But they did prescribe an epipen for him. We plan to not have him eat these things while on vacation, but I’d feel most comfortable carrying the epipen just in case. Allergies can be weird and I don’t want to be caught off guard.

Anyway, being new at all of this, I’m not sure the best way to carry it in a hot theme park. It is supposed to be kept at room temperature…I’ve seen insulin coolers but that’s not going to work for this. Any suggestions???

Hello…hope this is the right place for my question.

My son was recently diagnosed with a pork and lamb allergy. He reacts very infrequently and has never had an anaphylactic reaction. In fact, his doctor told us to allow him to eat it as long as he isn’t reacting often or severely. But they did prescribe an epipen for him. We plan to not have him eat these things while on vacation, but I’d feel most comfortable carrying the epipen just in case. Allergies can be weird and I don’t want to be caught off guard.

Anyway, being new at all of this, I’m not sure the best way to carry it in a hot theme park. It is supposed to be kept at room temperature…I’ve seen insulin coolers but that’s not going to work for this. Any suggestions???
I’m going to defer to ( https://www.epireminder.com/blog/the-essential-guide-to-epipen-or-auvi-q-temperature-rules )

First take away. Do not pack epipen with ice packs or very cold packs. Refrigerated temperatures can damage the mechanism.

In general, you want to keep the pen between 60 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit.

But there is additional guidance that more extreme temperatures can be tolerated if kept below 86 degrees for less than 24 hours.

They give additional guidance by introducing you to the concept of Mean Kinetic Temperature (mkt) which is sort of like saying that the 86 degrees limit is if the device were at that temp for the whole 24 hours. But if you were to keep it at 70 degrees for 20 hours and it got up to 90 degrees for 4 hours or even 100 degrees for a half hour, you’ll be fine.

This sort of sounds like you will be best served by evaporative cooling. I think I’ve seen insulin carriers that use this. It would not be hard put something together custom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter