Enthusiastic about Genie+ touring

havoc315

DIS Veteran
I'm shocked at the negative feedback and backlash about the Genie+ announcement. Seems it's pure apprehension about change.
Too many people, I believe, I erroneously viewing this as now having to pay $15 per day for FP+, and having to book every morning at 7am, instead of 60 days in advance.
But this is NOT FP+. It should end up being a superior product. And for most attractions, there should be plenty of availability through the day. You would only be booking at 7am, if you want a 9am return time.

So with recent changes... I'm going to share my optimistic view of touring the parks, as an onsite deluxe guest:

Animal Kingdom Day: -- Assuming FOP and Safari are the "upcharge" attractions:
7-8 - Book Navi River on Genie+, 8-9am return time
7:30: No need to pay an upcharge for FOP, just do it during Early Entry rope drop for no charge.
8:00 -- At regular opening, the standby line at Safari should be bearable without the need to pay any upcharge.
After Safari, backtrack, go do Navi River with Genie+ reservation towards the end of your Genie+ window..
By 9am -- Board Navi River with Genie+, book Expedition Everest, Genie+ return time around 10-11am
After Navi River, start going counter-clockwise -- Go do Dinosaur in Standby around 9:30, standby of 15-20. Play games around Dinoland
Around 10 -- redeem your Genie+ at Expedition Everest, book next Genie+ for River Rapids, around 12pm-1pm
After Expedition Everest -- Do some of the walking tours, see Lion King. eat lunch. See Bug movie if interested..
After lunch, 12-1, redeem Genie+ for River Rapids. As redeeming, book and evening Genie+ for your park hop evening park.

So every major attraction done at AK, without paying the individual attraction fees..... only paying the $15 Genie+, and skipping the need for any significant lines.

DHS -- Assume Slinky and ROTR are "up charge"
7 -- Try to get ROTR with regular free boarding group. If fail, pay the $20 fee for a ride reservation around noon. Pay for evening Slinky
Book Genie+ for Runaway Train, 9am-10am window
8:30 am -- early entry: Straight to TOT. As soon as completed, go right to RNR. Should be getting off RNR no later than 9:15.
From there, around 9:15, so redeem your Runaway Train Genie+. While redeeming, book Smuggler's Run, return time should be somewhere between 11am and 1pm. After Runaway Train --- Go ride Star Tours Standby (still early, line should be under 15 minutes), Muppetvision. Depending on ROTR and Smuggler's Run return times, maybe see BATB or other shows.
Between 11 and 1 (won't take the whole 2 hours) redeem your LL or boarding group for ROTR, use Genie+ for Smuggler's Run. Book another Genie+ for the evening for TSM.

After walking on to both Star Wars rides, go leave for the afternoon. Go to the pool. Take a 4-5 hour break.
Come back in the evening, use the Genie+ reservation for TSM. I could skip Saucers or do them late when the standby line is short. Might even be able to get a 8-9pm Saucers Genie+ reservation after doing TSM. Ride Slinky with the purchased LL.
Hopefully finish the night at Fantasmic.

Every major attraction at DHS accomplished, with time for a long mid-day break, and no significant lines. Used Genie+/LL for Runaway Train, Smuggler's Run, TSM, ROTR, Slinky. Used early entry for TOT and RNR. If I was successful getting a boarding group for ROTR, then didn't even need to purchase a time.

I'll do Epcot and Magic Kingdom later in another post. If I go to those parks on nights with extended hours, they will be super easy.

I'm shocked at the negative feedback and backlash about the Genie+ announcement. Seems it's pure apprehension about change.
Too many people, I believe, I erroneously viewing this as now having to pay $15 per day for FP+, and having to book every morning at 7am, instead of 60 days in advance.
But this is NOT FP+. It should end up being a superior product. And for most attractions, there should be plenty of availability through the day. You would only be booking at 7am, if you want a 9am return time.

So with recent changes... I'm going to share my optimistic view of touring the parks, as an onsite deluxe guest:

Animal Kingdom Day: -- Assuming FOP and Safari are the "upcharge" attractions:
7-8 - Book Navi River on Genie+, 8-9am return time
7:30: No need to pay an upcharge for FOP, just do it during Early Entry rope drop for no charge.
8:00 -- At regular opening, the standby line at Safari should be bearable without the need to pay any upcharge.
After Safari, backtrack, go do Navi River with Genie+ reservation towards the end of your Genie+ window..
By 9am -- Board Navi River with Genie+, book Expedition Everest, Genie+ return time around 10-11am
After Navi River, start going counter-clockwise -- Go do Dinosaur in Standby around 9:30, standby of 15-20. Play games around Dinoland
Around 10 -- redeem your Genie+ at Expedition Everest, book next Genie+ for River Rapids, around 12pm-1pm
After Expedition Everest -- Do some of the walking tours, see Lion King. eat lunch. See Bug movie if interested..
After lunch, 12-1, redeem Genie+ for River Rapids. As redeeming, book and evening Genie+ for your park hop evening park.

So every major attraction done at AK, without paying the individual attraction fees..... only paying the $15 Genie+, and skipping the need for any significant lines.

DHS -- Assume Slinky and ROTR are "up charge"
7 -- Try to get ROTR with regular free boarding group. If fail, pay the $20 fee for a ride reservation around noon. Pay for evening Slinky
Book Genie+ for Runaway Train, 9am-10am window
8:30 am -- early entry: Straight to TOT. As soon as completed, go right to RNR. Should be getting off RNR no later than 9:15.
From there, around 9:15, so redeem your Runaway Train Genie+. While redeeming, book Smuggler's Run, return time should be somewhere between 11am and 1pm. After Runaway Train --- Go ride Star Tours Standby (still early, line should be under 15 minutes), Muppetvision. Depending on ROTR and Smuggler's Run return times, maybe see BATB or other shows.
Between 11 and 1 (won't take the whole 2 hours) redeem your LL or boarding group for ROTR, use Genie+ for Smuggler's Run. Book another Genie+ for the evening for TSM.

After walking on to both Star Wars rides, go leave for the afternoon. Go to the pool. Take a 4-5 hour break.
Come back in the evening, use the Genie+ reservation for TSM. I could skip Saucers or do them late when the standby line is short. Might even be able to get a 8-9pm Saucers Genie+ reservation after doing TSM. Ride Slinky with the purchased LL.
Hopefully finish the night at Fantasmic.

Every major attraction at DHS accomplished, with time for a long mid-day break, and no significant lines. Used Genie+/LL for Runaway Train, Smuggler's Run, TSM, ROTR, Slinky. Used early entry for TOT and RNR. If I was successful getting a boarding group for ROTR, then didn't even need to purchase a time.

I'll do Epcot and Magic Kingdom later in another post. If I go to those parks on nights with extended hours, they will be super easy.
I hope that works out for you.

Now do one for people who would prefer not to get up at the crack of dawn in order to get out the door for rope drop. FP+ was a much more acceptable option for those people, even offsite guests who had to wait until 30 days prior to their visit in order to book them. I'm not sure why you're shocked that people may not like this change.

You're making some major assumptions about availability. And your schedule also relies on staying on site presumably at a lower crowd period, wanting to be on line about 30+ minutes prior to rope drop to be near the front of the pack, and also being up at 7am to make your reservations. While people who fall into that group will likely be able to have a good first couple hours, you've just described only one type of touring preference. For many people with younger kids who don't want the commando style of having to rush in all the rides in the first couple of hours or who want to be able to arrive at a park a few hours after opening, they're likely to have a much much more difficult time. Or what about the families who want to just do 3-4 hours in the park arriving at mid-day? You've picked the best case scenario here and ignored a significant chunk of guests who look at the schedule you listed and think it's a nightmare for them.

Even for the late risers I don’t think the LL will be gone when they go to book. They weren’t all gone with FP+ and that was free. IMO less people will be using G+ than people who used FP+ Since you have to pay. They can do the tier 1 rides at the end of the night when lines are shorter instead of at rope drop.

Now do one for people who would prefer not to get up at the crack of dawn in order to get out the door for rope drop. FP+ was a much more acceptable option for those people, even offsite guests who had to wait until 30 days prior to their visit in order to book them. I'm not sure why you're shocked that people may not like this change.

Nonsense. This is MUCH better for off-site. Off-site couldn't get any good FPs 30 days out. Now, they are on almost the same playing field as on-site.

And this works MUCH better than FP+ for late-arrivers.

Animal Kingdom with a noon arrival:
At 11am, as you are getting ready to leave, book Genie+ for Navi River, 1pm Genie+ window. Purchase a 12pm FOP. Purchase 2pm Safari.
Arrive at gate at 12:15pm. Arrive at FOP at 12:30, ride FOP LL.
At 1pm, redeem Genie+ for Navi River. While boarding Navi River, reserve Genie+ for River Rapids probably get a 3pm..
After Navi, grab lunch. Do the Bug movie. See Lion King. Do the Jungle Walk.
Then redeem Safari LL between 2-3pm. While boarding the Safari, book Expedition Everest, 5pm return time.
Enjoy the Safari without a line. Then enjoy River Rapids without a line, thanks to Genie+.
After River Rapids, play games in Dinoland, ride Dinosaur standby. Redeem your Expedition Everest Genie+...

So even with a noon arrival.. and spending a little more money, you got LL and Genie+ to FOP, Navi, Safari, River Rapids, and Expedition Everest. Did Dinosaur and the Bug movie standby.

That's a far more efficient day then you would have gotten with FP+.

Yes, there is an advantage to an early morning rope drop -- But that's been true for the last 50 years. There has ALWAYS been an advantage to early morning rope drop.

I agree that it will not be as awful as some people make it out to believe. But I also think you posted the best possible scenario, which likely will not be the case unless you visit at the slowest times. You assume that these times will be available when you want to book them. You are assuming that the extra 30 mins is really enough to get you on the one ride at that park everyone is heading for at that time. I really like the lack of planning required with this, but I don't think it's gonna be as hunky dory as you make it sound.

Nonsense. This is MUCH better for off-site. Off-site couldn't get any good FPs 30 days out. Now, they are on almost the same playing field as on-site.

At 11am, as you are getting ready to leave, book Genie+ for Navi River, 1pm Genie+ window. Purchase a 12pm FOP. Purchase 2pm Safari.
At 1pm, redeem Genie+ for Navi River. While boarding Navi River, reserve Genie+ for River Rapids probably get a 3pm..
Then redeem Safari LL between 2-3pm. While boarding the Safari, book Expedition Everest, 5pm return time.
Enjoy the Safari without a line. Then enjoy River Rapids without a line, thanks to Genie+.
After River Rapids, play games in Dinoland, ride Dinosaur standby. Redeem your Expedition Everest Genie+...

So even with a noon arrival.. and spending a little more money, you got LL and Genie+ to FOP, Navi, Safari, River Rapids, and Expedition Everest. Did Dinosaur and the Bug movie standby.

Yes, there is an advantage to an early morning rope drop -- But that's been true for the last 50 years. There has ALWAYS been an advantage to early morning rope drop.
Bull crap! See, I can be dismissive of opinions with one demeaning phrase, too.

You wrote a plan that includes being onsite, in a Deluxe Resort, and doing rope drop. Show me one for someone who is offsite, who cannot even book a G+ or IA$ until they tap in at a park and are 30 minutes behind the onsite guests

What leads you to believe there will be plenty of availability?

MATH, plus experience with maxpass and with old fastpass.
You are no longer giving 3 passes to every person. You are now givning only 1 pass at a time, only to those who purchase Genie+.

So take DHS.. average attendance is 30,000 people. Say, 20,000 purchase Genie+.
The Genie+ attractions at DHS:
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
  • Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  • MuppetVision 3D
  • Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
  • Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
  • Toy Story Mania
The hourly capacity of those 8 attractions is somewhere between 12,000 and 16,000.
If 70% of the capacity is given to Genie+, similar to FP+, that means hourly Genie+ capacity of 8,400 to 11,200.

Now, not every single Genie+ user is going to book a rope drop attraction at 9am. But, even if EVERY Genie+ buyer wakes up and books the first available Genie+ reservation -- So 20,000 people call clicking the first available Genie+ ride for the earliest possible ride.. Even under this WORST case scenario ... then there it would book up all the 9-11 am availability, and there would be wide open availability for everyone at 11am.

Bull crap! See, I can be dismissive of opinions with one demeaning phrase, too.

You wrote a plan that includes being onsite, in a Deluxe Resort, and doing rope drop. Show me one for someone who is offsite, who cannot even book a G+ or IA$ until they tap in at a park and are 30 minutes behind the onsite guests

Actually, my understanding is that Genie+ can be booked by off-site at 7am.
Yes, off-site has some disadvantages. But Genie+ is FAR better for off-site than FP+. You are no longer at a 30 day booking window disadvantage. Genie+ treats onsite and offsite almost the same. The only difference is you can't purchase individual attractions until you tap in. But those will have pretty open availability.

So Genie+ for off-site guest at DHS:

At 7am, book Genie+ for 9am Runaway Train.
Arrive at Park at 9am, purchase 11am ROTR, purchase 1pm Slinky Dog.
9am -- Ride Runaway Train with no line, book Smuggler's Run for noon.
9:30-11am, Muppetvision, BATB, Frozen Singalong
11am -- ride ROTR LL. Redeem Smuggler's Run, Genie+. Book another Genie+ for TSM at 2pm
1pm -- Ride Slinky Dog LL. Standby Saucers. Then Genie+ lane for TSM. Book another Genie+ for TOT, 5pm redemption
After finishing Toy Story land, eat lunch, Maybe take a break for a couple of hours. At 5pm, redeem Genie+ for TOT. As lines go down in the evening, ride RNR by standby, repeat any rides you want...

There, you did every major attraction as an off-site guest without any significant lines, thanks to Genie+ and LL.

THIS. I have two little kids (pre-school and a one year old). They are early risers in general, my whole LIFE is about being up at 5am. A huge benefit of Disney is that Disney KNOCKS KIDS OUT and we MIGHT get to sleep until 7am. I hate the idea of having to forego that for rope drop. And here's the other thing... even if you ARE up at 5am, getting to the parks by 8am with two little kids is still next to impossible. Add in the fact that now you'll basically have to choose between a character breakfast (which I have always loved) and riding your favorite ride....it blows. We are lucky enough that we get to do longer stays. So we will book Genie+ for say, half of our days, and book breakfasts and take it easy on the other days. But This element of the system is a big downside for me. I liked that we could take it easy in the mornings with FP+ and still know that we could get on some of our favorite at a time that worked best for us.

Actually, my understanding is that Genie+ can be booked by off-site at 7am.
Yes, off-site has some disadvantages. But Genie+ is FAR better for off-site than FP+. You are no longer at a 30 day booking window disadvantage. Genie+ treats onsite and offsite almost the same. The only difference is you can't purchase individual attractions until you tap in. But those will have pretty open availability.

You may not be able to make G+ LL reservations until you enter a park if you are offsite. That hasn’t been confirmed by Disney yet.

You may not be able to make G+ LL reservations until you enter a park if you are offsite. That hasn’t been confirmed by Disney yet.

My sources are suggesting it's 7am Genie+ for everyone. But attraction purchases are 7am for onsite, tap-in for off-site.
Yes, things may still change.

WE have 8 people in our party, so thats 120 right off the bat. If I add in paying even just $10 for FOP thats 80. $200 isn't just "a little more money" for one day.

We are still allowed to have different opinions..right? I for one will not let a small thing like Genie+ bother me one bit.. How much overpriced adult beverages do you all purchase, Or anything else. The fact is you do you and let those that like the idea of Genie+ have their opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone prefers waiting in long lines... they are certainly entitled to that opinion.

But there is a panic about Genie+ that isn't about opinion. It's about an incorrect notion of how it will work.

We won't know for sure until it launches, but it should result in shorter lines, and more line skipping than existed under the FP+ system.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone prefers waiting in long lines... they are certainly entitled to that opinion.

But there is a panic about Genie+ that isn't about opinion. It's about an incorrect notion of how it will work.

We won't know for sure until it launches, but it should result in shorter lines, and more line skipping than existed under the FP+ system.
Agreed. Much of this is the Chicken Little syndrome.

WE have 8 people in our party, so thats 120 right off the bat. If I add in paying even just $10 for FOP thats 80. $200 isn't just "a little more money" for one day.

Actually... it is.

Under FP+, it was almost impossible to get FOP unless you were onsite. With the new system, off-site guests should easily be able to purchase FOP.
So, you can now stay off-site instead of onsite, which will easily save more than $200.

If you were staying onsite either way... airfare, hotel, tickets, food... talking a $5,000 to $10,000 vacation, easily. SO another $200 is "a little more money."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!