Enriching our vacation through spreading Pixie Dust...ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

judeis

Mouseketeer
I am a child therapist and I usually try to stay away from too much "hippie-dippy therapisty" stuff with my kids, but I have noticed that our trips become more magical and positive when we go out of our way to be positive and spread some kindness...I engage my children (and DH) in coming up with original ideas about how to brighten someone's day in the parks and it has become a ritualized part of our trip(s). We have even taken to "special" acts of kindness (like collecting out grown but "new" looking Disney hoodie's and T-shirts, a light up toy no longer used, a Disney plush no longer cherished, etc and searching for the "perfect" kid to give it to). We save these "special" gestures for when we are tired or cranky or have encountered a "not-so-magical" moment (like line cutters, screaming parents, not getting "picked" for a show, or the rare unfriendly cast-member). It always perks every one up. And just in general throughout the day/night- it has become part of the fun to randomly pass out stickers, glow sticks, or silly bands. To give out random compliments (not in a creepy-stalker way, but in a "You have the coolest T-shirt" or "I heard you singing, you have a great voice" kind of way). We always buy at least one small surprise a day (light up toy, a balloon, etc) and give it away as well. My DD's always save up their spending money and allocate at least $10 for their "kindness fund". They get excited deciding what to buy and who to give it to.

Anyway, this may sound cheesy, but it is so easy to become negative, overwhelmed, overstimulated, self-involved, etc when at Disney (or anywhere I guess), that I like to encourage my kids to think of others and learn how good that makes them feel.

So... anyone else have other ideas to add to the pile? We would love to hear new ideas about how to spread kindness (and make ourselves happier in the bargain). Thanks!

You and your family are super folks. Not much I can add but I see a child you know is not going to be here for a long time. In a wheel chair sometimes you can tell they've lost their hair due to treatments. When we give them a plush Mickey, or balloon to tie to their chair. When you see that smile it makes you forget your problems big and small. Danny

I am a child therapist and I usually try to stay away from too much "hippie-dippy therapisty" stuff with my kids, but I have noticed that our trips become more magical and positive when we go out of our way to be positive and spread some kindness...I engage my children (and DH) in coming up with original ideas about how to brighten someone's day in the parks and it has become a ritualized part of our trip(s). We have even taken to "special" acts of kindness (like collecting out grown but "new" looking Disney hoodie's and T-shirts, a light up toy no longer used, a Disney plush no longer cherished, etc and searching for the "perfect" kid to give it to). We save these "special" gestures for when we are tired or cranky or have encountered a "not-so-magical" moment (like line cutters, screaming parents, not getting "picked" for a show, or the rare unfriendly cast-member). It always perks every one up. And just in general throughout the day/night- it has become part of the fun to randomly pass out stickers, glow sticks, or silly bands. To give out random compliments (not in a creepy-stalker way, but in a "You have the coolest T-shirt" or "I heard you singing, you have a great voice" kind of way). We always buy at least one small surprise a day (light up toy, a balloon, etc) and give it away as well. My DD's always save up their spending money and allocate at least $10 for their "kindness fund". They get excited deciding what to buy and who to give it to.

Anyway, this may sound cheesy, but it is so easy to become negative, overwhelmed, overstimulated, self-involved, etc when at Disney (or anywhere I guess), that I like to encourage my kids to think of others and learn how good that makes them feel.

So... anyone else have other ideas to add to the pile? We would love to hear new ideas about how to spread kindness (and make ourselves happier in the bargain). Thanks!
We have a few things we do. My kids will keep 'jewels' from the Dollar Store in their string bags and when we go to Mickey's Philharmagic will share them with younger guests that are sitting in our row. Telling the kids they 'caught' the jewels. I did this when they were younger and they loved it so much they love to share the magic! They also do a similar thing - they each bring a golf ball and make a 'hidden Mickey' on it so on our Epcot day they can give it to a younger guest and tell them they caught it on Soarin'. If the other child doesn't understand my kids explain they have to keep their eyes open during the golf scene and maybe next time they can catch one too!
They have little index cards that they make with things like 'Thanks for making my day magical!' or 'Thanks for being a part of the magic' and hand them to cast members who need it or who made an impression.
If you start out positive not only will your trip be awesome, you will influence the trips of the people around you!
Thanks for being you!

No -

If you gave us your hand me down clothing at Disney that would not be a positive experience for us!

We have brought packages of glow sticks for parades or night time shows that have more than the 2 necessary for my kids; in which case my kids give the extras away if they want to. When I see a melt down I respond appropriately as we have all been there done that but imho no gifts necessary.

At Disney and elsewhere I try and spread magic by following the rules, being kind to other guests, taking my turn, standing on the bus if I can and otherwise just being a generally courteous person (I Hope!).

I compliment CM's when they go above and beyond but I don't feel the need to compliment other guests for acting appropriately - when did that become something above the norm - or something to brag about on social media?

ETA -
We give as generously as we can to charities of our choice and volunteer our time for several organizations during the year - we just don't choose to do this during our vacation time. IMHO with the exception of GKTW and other similar organizations if your at Disney you don't need my generosity

Last edited:

No -

If you gave us your hand me down clothing at Disney that would not be a positive experience for us!

We have brought packages of glow sticks for parades or night time shows that have more than the 2 necessary for my kids; in which case my kids give them out if they want to. When I see a melt down I respond appropriately we have all been there done that but no gifts necessary.

At Disney and elsewhere I try and spread magic by following the rules, being kind to other guests, taking my turn, standing on the bus if I can and otherwise just being a generally courteous person (I Hope!).

I compliment CM's when they go above and beyond but I don't feel the need to compliment other guests for acting appropriately - when did that become something above the norm?

ETA -
We give as generously as we can to charities of our choice and volunteer our time for several organizations during the year - we just don't choose to do this during our vacation time. IMHO with the exception of GKTW and other similar organizations if your at Disney you don't need my generosity
I agree. Glow sticks are one thing, but used clothing & toys? No thanks. :scared:

Wow. I can't believe how posters have turned someone's kind gestures into something so negative. Kindness to anyone is a good thing. A person doesn't have to have a terminal illness to be deserving of kindness.

Not seeing any posts that say any such thing? We are kind to everyone during every trip as I said in my op.

I think it sounds awesome, OP. Most kids don't care if a toy is gently used. My kids would be so happy if someone handed them a little toy at Disney. We are such a throwaway, wasteful society. Why does everything have to be brand new? That is silly. Brave New World silly.

More importantly, you are teaching your kids the joy of being kind. That's an invaluable lesson.

Actually it is your ETA that seems to imply that. Plus, who cares if toys or sweatshirts aren't brand new? No one has to accept or keep them if the items aren't wanted.

Nope not even close, try reading the entire posts not just the edit -
re- read please..
like the part before my edit when I posted -

I compliment CM's when they go above and beyond but I don't feel the need to compliment other guests for acting appropriately - when did that become something above the norm - or something to brag about on social media?

I think it would make more sense and be much more meaningful to give those toys and clothing to local groups that are truly in need rather than to people with the wherewithal to vacation at WDW.

I'd call your local women's shelter, or check with one of the multitude of wonderful charities that help local kids, it seems like these are the folks that would really appreciate your gestures. You can then plan a "day of giving" with your kids where you decide which of the items will be donated to what charity, and then take them to the various charities.

The things that make me feel good are the little things. Like letting someone in front of me in line who seems to be in a hurry, giving the mom with the screaming toddler a smile, on a crowded bus having my kid sit on my lap to free up a seat, talking with a chatty child on the bus or in line etc. I like the idea of handing out small trinkets like glow necklaces, or silly bands at a parade while you are waiting.

Not sure I would haul old clothes and toys to Disney to hand out. Silly bands and stickers would not take up much luggage space, or back pack space and would be a nice treat for a child. As pp have stated though, some people are very uncomfortable with strangers giving their kids gifts. I wouldn't think parents would mind stickers, but used clothes and toys? some may not like it.

I think its great to give and make someones else vacation a little extra magical. Sometimes cast members need to be reminded of the magic as well. dealing with rude people or listening to crying kids all day can be exhausting. The little cards are a great idea.

Maybe do some pre-planning and pick out a special something for other guests with a special pin. Like a Happy Birthday card to go with a balloon you pick up at the park or a congratulations on your marriage card with a special gift ect.. You can pick out the "perfect" birthday kid or newlyweds. OR maybe when your buying some popcorn or other snack, pay for the person in front of or behind you!

I realize you are trying to be nice and teach your children about charity but those gifts would probably be more appreciated/needed if they were doled out to those in need at home. People that are vacationing or visiting a Disney theme park most likely aren't in need of charity. And, like others have said many would probably be a little weirded out by being given random items. Being a pleasant guest, letting someone go ahead of you in line, etc are probably the things people would appreciate the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter