• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Emperor's New Groove Ride?

well to each his own, but...

I really think Hercules has some of the best songs "I won't say I'm in Love," great characters like that "satyr but wiser" Phil. Meg was lovely, the jokes were great- hercules winning his struggle with the Hydra "by a landslide." backing into the cupid statue arrow as he falls for Meg, the aforementioned Lion King inside gag, the poking fun at merchandising,etc. And I lked the drawing style, too. I think Hercules was better than Alladdin, as good as Mulan, really one of their best.

Paul

Hey, I love lists! And I know how much Landbaron loves them :) so, I'll interject a list into this thread. Ranking of post-Lion King drawn (for the most part) Disney animated features (non-Pixar):

1. Hunchback
2. Groove
3. Tarzan
4. Mulan
5. Hercules
6. Return to Neverland
7. Pocahontas
8. Atlantis

I left Fantasia 2000 out since it is an anthology, not a single feature.

...it's tougher for me to rank those in relation to one another, how about if I list by grouping:

1. Groove, Mulan, and Hunchback were Pretty Darn Good movies.
2. Hercules and Tarzan were okay; they had their moments.
3. Pocahontas and Atlantis were uniformly bad movies.

I have no intention of being objective about the "it's fun to create with Crayola" Return to Neverland, so I decided to leave it out entirely rather than get into another "quality is in the details/quality is in the ability to keep my kids quiet for an hour and ten minutes" debate.

Jeff

PS: Kinda glad you left out Fantasia 2000... there were parts that should rank up there with the legends, but (particularly, in the whales sequence) the digital artifacting was so bad I actually had to turn away from the screen, a couple of times: it was starting to give me a headache. I don't know if that bit was the product of older technology and sat in the can for quite awhile before release, or if they just didn't bother to do it right... either way, it wasn't right when they released it.

PPS: Interestingly, I note that my groups are probably more tied to my reaction upon seeing the DVD available: I bought Mulan and the Collector's Edition Groove immediately and gleefully upon release, Hercules and Tarzan I bought mostly for completion's sake, and I'm really struggling between "complete your collection" and "leave the piece of crap on the shelves" for Pocahontas and Atlantis. By that criteria, F2000 sleeps with the "pretty darn good" movies: I got the boxed set on the first day of availability. Those who missed it on the big screen will think I'm nuts about the "artifacting" complaint... it doesn't seem to be a problem on the DVD, at least on my tv.

So now I'm expected to convey my thoughts is an organized manner? What's next, proper grammer and speling?;)

The first three are strong.

1. Mulan
2. Tarzan
3. Groove

Little gap here, still pretty good.

4. Hunchback
5. Atlantis
6. Hercules
7. Return to Neverland

Pretty big gap here. Watchable, but that's about it.

8. Pocahontas

I've only seen Atlantis and Neverland once, so they could eventually float up a tad or down a tad, once I've seen them a couple more times. One of my personal criteria for ranking movies is the desire I have to watch them multiple times...

I did miss F2000 on the big screen, and haven't noticed the artifacting issue on my TV, or on my friend's. Maybe I'll pull it out again and take a real close look.

One thing I like about this group of films is that there is some variety in style and story. Its not exactly a golden era, but not a body of work that Disney should be ashamed of.

Groove maybe third on my list, but if I want a good laugh, I'll reach for it first. Even Pocahontas has some strong music in it.

I think that Mulan was a really good movie, like almost up to Little Mermaid/Beauty & The Beast/Aladdin/Lion King standards....but onto the actual point of my post

My best friend and I LOVE New Groove (that's what we call it..."we need to watch new Groove tonight") It is TOTALLY random and AWESOME movie......
"We didn't order any trampolines......"
"Then why didn't you tell me that BEFORE I set it up?"
haha and it just gives us a good laugh whenever we watch it. When we saw it in the theaters, I'm VERY glad we were sitting in the front and there was nobody around, because we were laughing hysterically at the end of it, and couldn't stop.
"is that my voice?!?! is that MY voice?? Oh well"
and I think all you nay-sayers need to watch it again ;) haha
Later!
Kat

I LOVED HERCULES...

James Woods was excellent as Hades and The muses were soulful.

When we went in 2000, I took several pics w/Hercules. When I saw him I said to him
"Oh, Hercules, Hercules, Hercules..." (Think Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy's version) while clapping my hands. He got a good laugh out of it.

Also glad to hear that others enjoyed ENG and Mulan as much as my family did.

Remember the part in Mulan when Mushu pretended to deliver an urgent message from the general riding on the back of a panda bear (who he had disguised as a horse). I hollered when the bear climbed up the tree!

Interesting note concerning Disney's movies...my son's 11th grade social studies class is watching Disney's Mulan as an in class assignment. His teacher feels it is an accurate account.
Wish my teachers had been this cool.

Reading how so many other people beside me loved The Groove Movie just makes me sad that "the little move that could" might have been so much more of a box office hit with a little oomph behind it from Disney Marketing.

Oh well. It will go down as one of those movies that succeeded in spite of all the problems that went on behind the scenes. It will never be in the Snow White/Little Mermaid category. But does every Disney movie have to be? Can we just have a Disney comedy animated feature every ten pictures or so? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter