Emotional support dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyba

Greetings from the Ottawa Valley
Are emotional support dogs allowed at Disney hotels and theme parks? I've never seen any there, but friends of our have such a pet and are wondering.

Thanks...

I saw a fox terrier with a family walking around the poly one year. I have no idea if it was an emotional support dog but I did see a dog.

Try asking on the disability board. They are very knowledgeable about such things there.

CinderElsa is correct. WDW allows "service" animals. Depending on what/if the dog has been trained to do for your friend, an "emotional support" dog may or may not be a "service animal." But I think your very question answers that -- the friends consider it a "pet" so it likely does not qualify to be considered a "service animal" as per the ADA.

Enjoy your vacation!

See the above post with the ADA link. Under ADA, emotional support animals are not covered as service animals. Service animals are defined as dogs or miniature horses which have been trained to perform a task in order to assist a person with a disability. Emotional support animals are not trained to do anything (if it IS trained to perform a task, then it is a service animal); the owner requires only the animal's presence. Which gives a business the right to refuse admission to the animal, or require documentation, maybe something like a doctor's prescription. If the business wants to, it can admit emotional support animals without requiring anything.

Find a number for Disney guest services (don't call the number you use to make reservations) and call them and ask about their requirements regarding "emotional support" animals.

Service animals are not pets, and pets are not allowed. If they just can't bear to go on a trip without the dog, it's not a service animal in any sense of the word.

Are emotional support dogs allowed at Disney hotels and theme parks? I've never seen any there, but friends of our have such a pet and are wondering.

Thanks...

Our last visit last month, we saw several of them. So I would say yes you can. You are allowed on some air lines.

I saw one in December--really...uhh....odd situation. A little rat terrier, whose owner had a ball cap that read, "The veteran is on psychiatric medication."

OOOkkkkaaaayyyyyyyyy........

I did see one there the beginning of the month, same dog in several parks, only once was he wearing a vest that indicated "companion animal" the rest of the time he was wearing cammo, or mickey gear, and by the way he behaved he certainly didn't seem to be a well trained service animal

I did see one there the beginning of the month, same dog in several parks, only once was he wearing a vest that indicated "companion animal" the rest of the time he was wearing cammo, or mickey gear, and by the way he behaved he certainly didn't seem to be a well trained service animal

Most are not. most are nothing more thna average pets whose owners are claiming this to be allowed to bring their pets everywhere with them.
They are abusing rules in place for those who really do need service animals for their own selfish reasons.

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is an "emotional support" animal?

Edit: before the sarcastic comments: I realize they provide emotional support. I guess I just don't understand why it would be needed to bring a dog with you EVERYWHERE.

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is an "emotional support" animal?

Edit: before the sarcastic comments: I realize they provide emotional support. I guess I just don't understand why it would be needed to bring a dog with you EVERYWHERE.

A crackpot excuse to bring your dog everywhere with you and try to force others to put up with it.

Unless someone tells you their animal is an emotional support dog, there's no way to tell if it is that or a service dog. We all have the image of a "proper" seeing eye dog in our heads, but the breed, the vest, and the lifelong training for that job isn't required for a service dog.

If you are diabetic and notice that your Rottweiler KNOWS that you are going to have a blood sugar up or downswing in a few minutes, that dog can become your service animal. If your tiny chihuahua naturally alerts you before your daughter has an epileptic seizure, you would be a fool to ignore that.

It is best if you get that animal into classes to make sure it behaves well, and it's safer for the dog if you have a vest telling others that it is working, but there are NO requirements for that, and the only thing an establishment in america can ask is IF it is a service dog (and maybe one other generic question that I can't recall).

So I doesn't matter what breed it is, how cute it is, the size, or if its in a vest, unless someone flat out tells you it's not a service dog (or in the case of what got me to find out all about such things, if the dog is for epilepsy but you never ever take the dog anywhere, the breed is otherwise not allowed in your apt complex, and you used to be in apt management and know exactly what to say), you just don't know and there's no reason to assume otherwise. Be glad that person is getting help with whatever problem they have, and move on.

Unless someone tells you their animal is an emotional support dog, there's no way to tell if it is that or a service dog. We all have the image of a "proper" seeing eye dog in our heads, but the breed, the vest, and the lifelong training for that job isn't required for a service dog.

If you are diabetic and notice that your Rottweiler KNOWS that you are going to have a blood sugar up or downswing in a few minutes, that dog can become your service animal. If your tiny chihuahua naturally alerts you before your daughter has an epileptic seizure, you would be a fool to ignore that.

It is best if you get that animal into classes to make sure it behaves well, and it's safer for the dog if you have a vest telling others that it is working, but there are NO requirements for that, and the only thing an establishment in america can ask is IF it is a service dog (and maybe one other generic question that I can't recall).

So I doesn't matter what breed it is, how cute it is, the size, or if its in a vest, unless someone flat out tells you it's not a service dog (or in the case of what got me to find out all about such things, if the dog is for epilepsy but you never ever take the dog anywhere, the breed is otherwise not allowed in your apt complex, and you used to be in apt management and know exactly what to say), you just don't know and there's no reason to assume otherwise. Be glad that person is getting help with whatever problem they have, and move on.

Not even close.....

To be a service animal (and currently the only animals recognized by the ADA are dogs and horses), the animal has to be TRAINED to perform a task for someone who is disabled.

Businesses CAN ask questions per the ADA.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Per WDW-SERVICE animals are welcome.

Others have already answered the questions, but I wanted to just say to those that think it's not valid, it IS for some people. I do believe that most people would actually just claim it to bring their dogs anywhere. And similar abuse happened w/ the GAC which made it go away. But I know that for some kids anyway, there are dogs that are trained for exactly this purpose. I know some autistic children really connect w/ a dog like no other living being. The place my youngest got therapy had a service dog for that reason. It really wasn't trained to do things you see service dogs for the blind and deaf doing, but it was a bonefied service dog. We considered one for my son but A: couldn't afford the $12K+ they cost and B: he didn't seem to pay any attention to dogs anyway.

That said, I'm generally not very trusting of others' motives, so I'd fear abuse. But, I can't diagnose by looking at anyone. No one can, so it's not my place to pass judgement.

Others have already answered the questions, but I wanted to just say to those that think it's not valid, it IS for some people. I do believe that most people would actually just claim it to bring their dogs anywhere. And similar abuse happened w/ the GAC which made it go away. But I know that for some kids anyway, there are dogs that are trained for exactly this purpose. I know some autistic children really connect w/ a dog like no other living being. The place my youngest got therapy had a service dog for that reason. It really wasn't trained to do things you see service dogs for the blind and deaf doing, but it was a bonefied service dog. We considered one for my son but A: couldn't afford the $12K+ they cost and B: he didn't seem to pay any attention to dogs anyway. That said, I'm generally not very trusting of others' motives, so I'd fear abuse. But, I can't diagnose by looking at anyone. No one can, so it's not my place to pass judgement.

I work for a guide dog school that also has a program for autism service dogs. Dogs for kids with autism ARE trained to do specific tasks, if they are assigned to a specific child/family -- they might be tied to them with a harness and belt to anchor the child if he tries to bolt, might be trained to interrupt repetitive behaviors like when a child flaps his hands, might be trained to alert the parent with barking if child climbs or tries to escape the house, etc. They do help with the "emotional" side of it, too, as the children tend to act calmer when they are with their dogs. In this case, we match a dog to a child and the dog lives with the child and works until retirement age with the child, just like we would match up a guide dog and individual blind person. The dog at your son's therapy probably was a therapy dog, which is a little different than an emotional support dog as therapy dogs do have to pass some sort of test (CGI or TDI, typically) and emotional support animals do not. The dog at your son's therapy probably was handled by their regular owner, but provided "therapy" for many different people.

Here is a great link for the differences between service, therapy, and emotional support dogs.
http://woof.doggyloot.com/service-d...onal-support-animals-–-important-differences/

As for people discussing what a business is allowed to ask regarding a service vs emotional support animal - they are allowed to ask if the dog is a "service animal" and if someone says yes but the dog is an emotional support animal, then that is against the law to present your dog as a service animal. A business is also allowed to ask what tasks the dog is trained to perform for service. If the person says the dog is not trained to perform a task, but makes them feel better by being with them, then that is an emotional support animal and not a service animal. Also, businesses are allowed to eject a service dog/handler if the dog is being disruptive or aggressive.

I work for a guide dog school that also has a program for autism service dogs. Dogs for kids with autism ARE trained to do specific tasks, if they are assigned to a specific child/family -- they might be tied to them with a harness and belt to anchor the child if he tries to bolt, might be trained to interrupt repetitive behaviors like when a child flaps his hands, might be trained to alert the parent with barking if child climbs or tries to escape the house, etc. They do help with the "emotional" side of it, too, as the children tend to act calmer when they are with their dogs. In this case, we match a dog to a child and the dog lives with the child and works until retirement age with the child, just like we would match up a guide dog and individual blind person. The dog at your son's therapy probably was a therapy dog, which is a little different than an emotional support dog as therapy dogs do have to pass some sort of test (CGI or TDI, typically) and emotional support animals do not. The dog at your son's therapy probably was handled by their regular owner, but provided "therapy" for many different people.

Here is a great link for the differences between service, therapy, and emotional support dogs.
http://woof.doggyloot.com/service-d...onal-support-animals-–-important-differences/

As for people discussing what a business is allowed to ask regarding a service vs emotional support animal - they are allowed to ask if the dog is a "service animal" and if someone says yes but the dog is an emotional support animal, then that is against the law to present your dog as a service animal. A business is also allowed to ask what tasks the dog is trained to perform for service. If the person says the dog is not trained to perform a task, but makes them feel better by being with them, then that is an emotional support animal and not a service animal. Also, businesses are allowed to eject a service dog/handler if the dog is being disruptive or aggressive.

Thanks for that. :goodvibes That made total sense. I knew there HAD to be more training for the dogs for autism. I just didn't know what they were and that there are so many different categories for therapy dogs. :lovestruc I would SO love one for the harnessing it to my son to keep him from bolting. :eek: We have a LoJack bracelet on him and he has an Amber Alert GPS device on his backpack, but.... but.... :(

Yes, Henry was definitely a therapy dog. the place Daniel went to was for people (most of them kids) of all ages and disabilities. So he was there, as far as I knew, just for the calm lovin'. He may have had some training, but he didn't get involved w/ us since they tried a few times and Daniel didn't seem to care one way or another about him, and the guy was a couch potato. :) A HAPPY couch potato.

Our family dog died this winter and I'm still so sad. I want another pup. :( I'm hoping to do things differently w/ our son with the next one.

Sidebar: hey! This is my 5,000th post! LOL Only took me 15 years to get here. ;)

Another note.

The ADA also allows a business to ask a "service animal" to leave due to behavior. So, if the animal becomes a danger in some way or can not be controlled, they can be asked to leave and the business would be protected.

However, many businesses are afraid to use their rights.

Most are not. most are nothing more thna average pets whose owners are claiming this to be allowed to bring their pets everywhere with them.
They are abusing rules in place for those who really do need service animals for their own selfish reasons.

last trip home from FL we were treated to the conversation of a "dog lover" in front of us detailing how easy it was for him to order a 'service animal vest' for his Yorkie.... :rolleyes2how he only had to send a payment in to some company,and was rewarded with a little orange vest that allowed him to carry his dog with him everywhere,and 'no one could say anything about it,it's awesome'....:stir: The problem is once folks discover how 'easy' it is to just make this title for their own pets...instant abuse of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter