Emergency ? about photo id and flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, no, it's still a ridiculous law.

And it's still a law, rediculous or not, and must be obeyed.

I agree completely that it's rediculous that your license can be confiscated on the spot by a cop for a seatbelt infraction. But what I find a little confusing is that I am infering from a few other posts that a cop can pull you over, give you a ticket, and you have a choice of handing over your license, your AAA card (if you have one) or a cash bond. Is that correct? So basically, you can pay a ticket directly to the cop who issues it if you have the money? I hope I'm misreading that, because that's truly insane!

I travel frequently for work and I ended up getting a state issued ID specifically for airplane travel. My driver's license stays in my wallet and I then just use my State ID to transit airports. I also used my State ID when going to bars and clubs. Losing a DL is a PITA, replacing a ID is a lot easier.

Also to the OP, if you have your old EXPIRED DL it may be helpful to bring it as well. Any form of picture ID will help your case.

I see you're from DC. In Maryland you can't get a license and a state ID at the same time - I gather it's different in DC?

While we all know I don't like seat belt laws, the fascist behavoir I'm refering to here is taking away a license for a seatbelt law, even temporarily, or jailing someone for expired tags.

Punishments should fit the crime (of which, seat belt infractions should rank somewhere below rape and murder) and pulling someone's license when you need picture ID so much these days (more facist behaviour) is just bullying BIG BROTHER behavior.

I agree completely that punishment should fit the crime, and that taking someone to jail or towing their car for expired tags, or confiscating someones license on the spot for a seatbelt infraction, are all rediculous over-reactions. But "fascist"?

I think there are a few Hollocaust survivors - and their decendants - who might take issue with comparing those things to the fascist governments of Hitler and Mussilini. While I'm sure that the fascists engaged in minor annoyances and oppression, along with that big thing where they put six million people to death for no good reason, that doesn't make a minor annoyance of the type we're discussing a "fascist" behavior.

And it's still a law, rediculous or not, and must be obeyed.

I agree completely that it's rediculous that your license can be confiscated on the spot by a cop for a seatbelt infraction. But what I find a little confusing is that I am infering from a few other posts that a cop can pull you over, give you a ticket, and you have a choice of handing over your license, your AAA card (if you have one) or a cash bond. Is that correct? So basically, you can pay a ticket directly to the cop who issues it if you have the money? I hope I'm misreading that, because that's truly insane!

That's exactly what they do and that's the part that I'm saying is insane. Not the seatbelt laws or any of the other traffic violation laws. They take your license - whether guilty or not - and then you can't get it back for quite some time. Usually, the minimum is 3 days. After you pay or show up in traffic court to contest, you get your licnese back. But first it gets sent around to Springfield or something and you have to wait for "processing" and such. You can use the ticket as a driver's license, but not in replacement of any other area of your life where you need photo ID - i.e., plane boarding, check writing, job applications, loan closings, test taking, etc. Besides the fact that it seems a little extortionary that the cop can say, "Just admit your guilt, pay the money to me now, and I won't take your license." So, if I was on the way to the airport, got pulled over and didn't believe I was in the wrong, I'd basically have no choice but to admit guilty and pay up to keep my license (unless, of course, you've already paid AAA and have that card - which I do).

ETA: For clarification on my previous statement, it's not law that says they have to take the license. Officers are free not to take your license. But they are also free to do so and they mostly do.

This article discusses the issue better than I do:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-license07mar07,0,3698747.story

But they are not confiscating your ability to drive, just the physical license. Probably to ensure compliance with showing up to court and paying fines.

I would consider it ridiculous and overkill if you could not drive until you get your license back, but according to the OP you can.

And as far as the last person in a chain reaction accident, insurance also considers the back car in a rear end accident to be at fault. Even if the front car came to a complete stop for no reason in the middle of the interstate. Out by us they give tickets for following too close. I drive a Saturn and live in a rural area. Sometimes, when I have a Hummer or a Tahoe driving 6 inches from my rear bumper while we are going 60 miles an hour....I pray the deer are sleeping, because I know if one runs out and I hit the brakes, I am dead.

The police are probably so "fascist" about seatbelt laws because they are sick of cleaning people's brains up off the road.

Dh thinks when you get pulled over for no seatbelt, you should not be fined by the police. Instead, they should notify your car insurance company and let the insurance determine how much that should cost you per year.

It could also be considered fascist that the state can take away your license for nonpayment of child support or for not paying taxes. But a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. When you get a license, you know the rules ahead of time.

Sometimes, when I have a Hummer or a Tahoe driving 6 inches from my rear bumper while we are going 60 miles an hour....I pray the deer are sleeping, because I know if one runs out and I hit the brakes, I am dead.

I also hate it when someone tailgates me, so when they do, I slow down. They either A) back off, B) honk in annoyance but I know they'll have enough time to stop if I do, or C) blow past me at the first opportunity. No matter which, they solve the problem.

I guess you have to be from ILL to understand the cops out here!

I'm sorry, but comments like this really bother me as my father is a retired officer from IL as is my uncle. Please do not make negative generalizations about them as you do not know every single cop out there.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the people who complain about police doing their jobs actually have police officers in their family and see what they go through on a daily basis. It is a dangerous and stressful job, yet these people are more then willing to go out there and do it and usually even LOVE the job. After years on the job, my father developed sever depression and OCD. He would have nightmares and was injured multiple times.

They are just doing their jobs. It doesn't matter if the law is strange, you still need to obey it. Wear your seatbelts, don't follow too close, and don't run red lights. If you do and you get caught, well, tough cookies. You took the chance and it backfired on you. Complain about the law, not the people who enforce it.

Getting off my soap box now and OP... have a great vacation!

I think this has the potential for turning nasty quickly. I think the OP has actually 'left the building' and headed to WDW. This no longer has anything to do with transportation within, or headed to, WDW, so, I'm shutting it down guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter