Embarrass Our Geraniums? *Rajah, you might want to read this..;)

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Science or para-science, tells us that geraniums bloom better if they are spoken to. But a kind word every now and then is really quite enough. Too much attention, like too much feeding, and weeding, and hoeing, inhibits and embarrasses them.

- Victoria Glendinning

:)

My mom talks to all her flowers.....and she loves geraniums. Her garden is always so perfect.

Mine, on the other hand, listen to rock n roll. I have a rowdy crew of weedy individualists....they grow and spread when and where they want to.

Music soothes the savage beast.....so they say.

In my case, however, they seem "to rock n roll all night....and party every day!!!!!"

:D

I always thought it was.....music soothes the savage breast.......I know it sounds weird.... :) ;) :)

I've been known to talk to the dog, and to talk to myself. But I think I'd have to draw the line at talking to my plants! The neighbors would think I'd really lost it for sure! :p :p :p

I've been known to talk to my plants every now and then.

When they start to talk back, thats when you have Big problems.

I do ask them questions: Whats the matter sweetie don't you like where I've planted you? Is there a bug bothering you? Do you need a little water?

I like the music, the plants like the music, the squirrels like the music. It's the talk show stations we could do with out.

When the plants tell you to "SHUT UP!" you know it has gone a little too far (in more ways than one! LOL). :p

I thought it was a gardening prerequisite to talk to your plants, and sing, and cajole, and soothe, and sometimes mutter nasty things, making sure you're out of their earshot of course.....:D

LOL Mamu, I remember your stories about your DH and the talk show stations....you'll have to share that with all the new buds, it was hilarious!! :D

...the scientific reason that it's good to talk to your plants (all of them) has to do with the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide (from your breath.) With that in mind, we should probably cut the small talk and do some heavy breathing. That's what they're really after. :D

Hm, well, I heard they give off oxygen in the day but take in oxygen at night, which is why some advise not having plants in the bedroom, robbing your O2 while you sleep.

As for getting pelargonium to grow, they are like weeds. Just stick a bit in the ground and ignore (they don't like to be watered or fussed at), and they will grow into a new plant (another orangy-red legacy from the previous owners of our house, yuck, but they do smell great).

And Snowwark, yes, the original quote was "savage breast":

AUTHOR: William Congreve (1670–1729)

QUOTATION: Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast,
To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.

ATTRIBUTION: The Mourning Bride. Act i. Sc. 1.

Cheers :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter