Elkmont Campground-Smoky Mtns

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Hoping some of my fellow DISers have some info on the condition of Elkmont with all the wildfires. We are from Missouri but camp there 2-3 times/year. I know it was evacuated but I can only find info about Gatlinburg at this point. I'm afraid it might be gone :( Anyone near that area that might have more info?!?! Thanks!

I am watching the press conference now. A representative of the park stated that they thought that Elkmont was ok but he could not confirm that until they actually go in to check.

I am watching the press conference now. A representative of the park stated that they thought that Elkmont was ok but he could not confirm that until they actually go in to check.

Thank you! The whole situation is horrible and I can only hope this rain will do some good...we got nearly 4 inches in MO yesterday and it was headed that way. I don't know that they will get all of it though and the TODAY show mentioned that the winds might only get worse.

Made the hair on my neck stand up when I saw the pictures of Chimney Tops covered in fire. One of my favorite trails.

Made the hair on my neck stand up when I saw the pictures of Chimney Tops covered in fire. One of my favorite trails.
Ours too we hiked it with our 2 and 4 year old last fall and I love seeing the Chimney's as we drive up to Newfound Gap!

It appears Elkmont was spared so that is such good news, but the devastation everywhere else is hard to swallow.

I can't find much on the park, itself, but I found some stories earlier that said the main strip in Gatlinburg is OK. Just up the side roads to the south east are a much different story. The ridge between Wears Valley and Gatlinburg is mostly gone. Sky View Drive to the north has considerable damage and The Park Vista Resort up Reagan from downtown Gatlinburg was surrounded by fire, blocking guests from getting out.

So sad.

West gate resort sustained considerable damage. Some you tube videos show some pretty burnt scenes.

We live in Wears Valley, TN which is about 1/2 way between Pigeon Forge and Townsend with Gatlinburg about 10 miles away over Cove Mountain. Elkmont is fine, the fires didn't get close. We had fires about 7 miles from us and Wears Valley had around 70 homes lost to the fires. Last night we took a ride toward Pigeon Forge and still could see a few places on the mountains were the fires still burned, but nothing close to the night before. We've been receiving some rain again this morning which is sure to help.

Thanks for posting this. I live in Southwest Virginia and we are coming down to stay in Sevierville at the end of the month. I dread seeing the damage.

Oh, no! Also one of our favorite trails. Only hiked all the way to top once a few years ago, but every year while there we always hike at least 1/2 mile or more - was so beautiful, and they just recently renovated the trail so nicely.

We live in Wears Valley, TN which is about 1/2 way between Pigeon Forge and Townsend with Gatlinburg about 10 miles away over Cove Mountain. Elkmont is fine, the fires didn't get close. We had fires about 7 miles from us and Wears Valley had around 70 homes lost to the fires. Last night we took a ride toward Pigeon Forge and still could see a few places on the mountains were the fires still burned, but nothing close to the night before. We've been receiving some rain again this morning which is sure to help.

Thanks for the info about Elkmont. That is our special 'go to' campground every year. So upset about all the devastation there. Glad you are safe. We travel that road when cutting through Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd. Was happy to hear that y'all are receiving some rain.

An update on the Gatlinburg fire. I thought the Chimney Tops mountain inside the National Park was on fire, but seems the Park itself has been spared for the most part.

It was the 'Chimney Tops Resort' that was burning. So sorry for all those living the terror there, losing their homes, some, their lives. So glad the rains came when they did to keep the fires from spreading even more.

So sad for Gatlinburg - we can 'see' exactly where all those landmarks (to us) are - have been going there every year since the first year we were married.

An update on the Gatlinburg fire. I thought the Chimney Tops mountain inside the National Park was on fire, but seems the Park itself has been spared for the most part.

It was the 'Chimney Tops Resort' that was burning. So sorry for all those living the terror there, losing their homes, some, their lives. So glad the rains came when they did to keep the fires from spreading even more.

So sad for Gatlinburg - we can 'see' exactly where all those landmarks (to us) are - have been going there every year since the first year we were married.

The fire did start in the GSMNP in the Chimney Tops area. As of the last report I saw it stated that 10,850 acres have been burned in the national park.

The fire did start in the GSMNP in the Chimney Tops area. As of the last report I saw it stated that 10,850 acres have been burned in the national park.

Sorry, I stand corrected! I was reading some very incorrect information - seems to be flowing everywhere! Before seeing your response had just commented to my dh that I was wrong about how/where the fire started.

Supposedly now they are saying this is the origin, and was set at the top of that trail either intentionally or else carelessly by person/persons unknown at this time.

So very sad!

One of the fires, the main one was the Chimney Tops fire. The FD was reporting that some of the fires were caused by down power lines from the 80+ mph winds.

Has anyone heard anything official on the Mysterious Mansion?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter