Electricity ? - What does 120/240V mean for an appliance?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
We want to replace our gas clothes dryer with an electric, but only have the normal electricity in our laundry room. If a dryer is advertised as "Power Source Ratings 120/240V, 60HZ, 30 amps" can we plug that into a normal 3 prong outlet and have it work? Or will we need an electrician to come out?

We already know we need a plumber to disconnect the gas dryer.

You will need to have a 30 amp/240 volt line installed.

120/240 refers to the common voltage into a typical home. There are two lines that are 120 volts each supplying power to two different legs in your breaker/fuse panel. Most circuit breakers or fuses will connect to one of these to provide power to your lights, outlets, and small appliances using the 120 volts to a "neutral" which is usually the bare wire you see in the line to your house. This is not a "ground," as many people think, but a system neutral to balance the voltage between the two legs (even though neutrals and grounds are connected).

Larger appliances such as electric dryers, stoves, and central air conditioning run at 240 volts using the two 120 volt hot legs and the neutral then serves as a ground.

Hope that answered your question.

Thanks, George. That's what I needed to know...although not what I wanted to hear.

We have the gas company coming out Wednesday to tell us if the gas dryer can be repaired...and if not, to disconnect the gas. Then I guess we'll get an electrician in to fix the wiring so we can get an electric dryer.

Sigh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter