Electric Skillet for cooking in studios?

toesmom

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about buying a Black &Decker standard size electric skillet for our 50 years worth of trips to the world. Ok, not all in studios, but for the next few years at least.

Will an electric skillet fit in the kitchenette area? I'm thinking of things like bacon/eggs, pancakes, grill cheese, steak & onions, veal schnitzels, crepes.

Does this idea make sense? With kids it appeals to me. The skillet is $16 to buy.

Is this crazy? We won't be staying in 1 br units anytime soon, and I can't see eating every meal out or eating sandwiches for every meal in.

We are renting a car, so groceries are not a problem.

There's another thread regarding cooking in the studios and bringing appliances. It was pointed out that all of the "silverware" that you get is plastic, so you'll have to bring utensils to use as well.

The idea of mousekeeping providing some utensils to use hasn't been addressed, maybe someone knows if they will do that. I agree that an electric skillet would be a wonderful addition to a studio. DH and I don't need the extra room that a 1-bedroom provides, but I would like some other options to cook with. We usually have a rented car, so getting supplies isn't the problem, utensils are. Someone told me that they would send up a cutting board, I never asked for one, I have one that I can pack.

Bobbi :flower:

Might get a little "stinky" in the studios, depending on what/how you cook. :teeth: I don't recall that there is any kind of exhaust fan in the studios.

Best wishes-

We did it on our last time at Disney and loved it. The kids do not like to eat out 3 times a day the whole trip. We made hamburg helper, hamburgs, some parpared things like Costo seasoned chicken package already cooked just needed warmed, grilled cheese sandwich, etc.

There is not much room on the counter to do this but workabale. We did not ask for anything from Disney and did bring along a knife, spatala, etc.

:earsgirl:

We took one and used it for cooking breakfast. We brought our own plastic spatula. Cooking smells (bacon and sausage) did linger in the room even when we came home at night, which we didn't care for.
We fly and I packed our skillet in a soft sided cooler with a heavy plastic liner, surrounded by clothes. Apparently heavy luggage was put on the top, as one side of the skillet was slightly bent in when we arrived. I'm not sure if we will take it again or not when flying. If we were just going to be in a studio for 2 or 3 nights, I wouldn't bother, but probably for longer trips we'll take it again.

I agree with CarolMN - I don't think the studios were ever designed for this type of cooking. I'm pretty sure this is why the "kitchenettes" only have microwaves, coffee makers and toasters.

Plus, if a fire should start while cooking, I'd much rather have it be while using their equipment, not ours. I'd feel really guilty if a DVC building burned down because of my frying pan or crock pot.

You can probably tell that I don't stay in a DVC villa to cook much. We enjoy the kitchens and table areas for light breakfasts together in the mornings and maybe salads or microwave stuff later in the day. That's it. I'm on vacation, too!

DisFlan

This sounds like a GREAT idea - and then I think of the smells, the attempted clean up (in that tiny sink), etc and I realize why we will be sticking with microwavable things.

IT works out great we have even brought our small 2 burner coleman stove and a small propane BBQ and just use them on the balcony.

Thanks everyone, I ran the idea by my other half this morning, he says absolutely no way cooking in a studio. We only take 1 holiday, and we're going to enjoy it.

And i think it might stink up the unit. So it's a no go.

toesmom said:
...(snip).....And i think it might stink up the unit. So it's a no go.
Your neighbors will thank you! :)

CharlesTD said:
..(snip)....we have even brought our small 2 burner coleman stove and a small propane BBQ and just use them on the balcony....
In all seriousness, I hope you are kidding. If I saw that, I would RUN to the phone to call security. That is a serious hazard to other guests - you may be a very responsible user, but there are many examples of such things starting fires. Most apartment/condo buildings prohibit their use on patios and balconies. Can't imagine Disney allows this, either. All of the DVC resorts have outdoor grills for those who want to cook/grill.

Best wishes -

Premade frozen pancakes and sausage fit in the little freezer compartment and can be microwaved! Precooked bacon is also available and reheats in the micro. All the items you mention except the grilled cheese can be cooked in the micro. Why not try the reusable toaster bags that can crisp grilled cheese in the toaster? The sink is small and makes washing larger things difficult. Most DVC resorts have out door grills that you can cook on as well.

I agree Patsal! There is plenty that can be mivrowaved. Especially for breakfast! We stayed at POFQ last weekend and it was LOVELY, but I really missed our microwave.

CharlesTD said:
IT works out great we have even brought our small 2 burner coleman stove and a small propane BBQ and just use them on the balcony.

Wow, you're probably lucky you didn't get caught! Especially with an open flame grill. The balconies are not to be used for cooking of any kind. It's one of the rules you agreed to when you bought DVC. (You're also not supposed to hang towels or swim suits out to dry on balconies, or store stuff on them.)

DisFlan

No one has ever said anything other than our neighbours once asking if they could join us because our steaks smelled really good. We invited them over and cooked up a couple more for him and his wife they loved it then we had a few beers and went to the pool this was at BWV we were on the top floor.

We are going to take our mini George Foreman gill in July. It’s small, but will cook hot dogs and hamburgers easily.

I have to agree with everyone that mentioned the smells from cooking in a studio without the proper ventilation. I can be very sensative to smells, especially food smells and would hate to be next to, or yuck in the same room after, lingering food smells. :sad2:

facebook twitter