Electric Bikes Now Banned At The Fort

So you cant wear roller skates or even use normal scooters. Is the goal to suck out all the fun?

Many schools, stores and malls have banned Heelys and other wheeled shoes since the early 2000's so theme parks aren't alone.
In the parks, I can get my arms around the logic (I think they're annoying, but I'm annoyed by a lot of things that are still very much allowed) and you are correct. I looked back at some old posts in '08 that they're banned in the parks.

I was looking at it solely from the perspective of the campground, which may be naive in this litigious, risk-adverse world in which we live.
So you cant wear roller skates or even use normal scooters. Is the goal to suck out all the fun?
This is my main issues with the rule. What does the wheeled shoes rule or even the e-bike rule fix other than make people shake their fists at clouds (queue @bama_ed )?

Make a rule that addresses the root cause of the problem and enforce it... speeding, underaged operators of equipment, the wheels scuff up the pool deck, yield to traffic, whatever. Don't ban a device that can be enjoyed by reasonable folks (or a tool for the less young/able in the case of the e-bikes). Ban the behavior and the bozo behind it.

Rant over. Get off my lawn. Grumpiness over.

Now, let's go camping.

In the parks, I can get my arms around the logic (I think they're annoying, but I'm annoyed by a lot of things that are still very much allowed) and you are correct. I looked back at some old posts in '08 that they're banned in the parks.

I was looking at it solely from the perspective of the campground, which may be naive in this litigious, risk-adverse world in which we live.

This is my main issues with the rule. What does the wheeled shoes rule or even the e-bike rule fix other than make people shake their fists at clouds (queue @bama_ed )?

Make a rule that addresses the root cause of the problem and enforce it... speeding, underaged operators of equipment, the wheels scuff up the pool deck, yield to traffic, whatever. Don't ban a device that can be enjoyed by reasonable folks (or a tool for the less young/able in the case of the e-bikes). Ban the behavior and the bozo behind it.

Now, let's go camping.
And to the point of causes… how many posts have I seen over the years of underage people driving the golf carts (which haven’t been banned). Perhaps e bikes will come back as $40 per day rentals…lol.

I think the issue is the age of the driver/rider. Many parents seem to think a campground is a protected space and their 5 yr old can drive the golf cart! E-Bikes can get some good speed, can a kid handle that? turns, avoidance maneuvers etc. No one wants to hit a kid, so the FW has to "play parent".

Jack, welcome to the 50 year old range.

I don't know your exact age but it sounds like you are approaching the most coherent time of your life. Young enough to remember what you used to do and old enough to know better now.

I'm leaving the 50 year old range soon (thus will qualify for more 60+ age discounts - isn't that right, @Teamubr?) so I pass the baton to you. There will always be enough clouds in the sky for all of us to shake a fist at.

Ed

PS - oh and the wheeled shoes have been outlawed in many places for at least two decades as @GinnyBear's_mom says. I say that as a father with three kids the oldest who is turning 30yo this year. :sad:

I think the goal is to keep everyone safe and alive
I don't want to be hit by a power bike nor do I want to hit a teen with my car.
so why not ban ordinary bikes then? They are no less dangerous then roller skates and regular scooters. In fact they are more dangerous because they can go a lot faster. Those golf carts have a risk too. why not ban them as well?

so why not ban ordinary bikes then? They are no less dangerous then roller skates and regular scooters. In fact they are more dangerous because they can go a lot faster. Those golf carts have a risk too. why not ban them as well?

Well that's an easy question to answer.

e-bikes (depending on the state) have upper limits approaching 30mph (if they have any limits at all). Which is why the earlier statement was made about them approaching motorcycle status...

If a fast e-bike or skateboard comes in contact with me or my vehicle, the law of physics will prevail. Sir Isaac Newton's Laws of Motion don't care about people complaining about rules put in place for their own safety. The calculus of the interaction is very clear.

It's simple math really. This is the likely outcome:

Bama Ed

I have an easier, more cynical reason. The Fort makes money off renting bikes and golf carts. You don't want to ban that cash cow.

j

NOT cynical at all. Strictly business. I knew some one in the "Gas Station Business " years ago. He had 4 stations and was doing well. Just happened that the stations were all on a corner lot at the same intersection.

Yea, If they just enforce the speed rules it should be ok. My electric scooters have speed settings, so I can limit the top speed. Usually, we go as fast as the bicycles. Can I go faster, yes, but I do play by the rules, mostly. It seems as if they are trying to limit any liability. Its atually funny, because a lot of larger cities, and towns are installing scooter rentals all over the place. So, they are legal on the streets, just not at a private owned disney resort. Its a shame as its an easy way to travel. Lots of other campgrounds ban them also. It may be time to start getting some older mopeds and take them to the fort. Wonder how long that will last. Lol.

It is the trend. They took the train away. The tram away. The toy rifles away. The mini speedboats away. Most of the fishing away. The petting zoo away. River Country away. There was a safety component to all those things that can be argued by Disney, rightfully and wrongfully. I'm sure I'm missing other stuff due to some sort of parasite eating at my brain due to swimming in the lake in the early 70s. ugh.

I forgot about the toy guns. Lol. After pirates they had a cork gun for sale. I think I cried untill I got one. Ot was probably $$$. It had a cork on a string, and went pop prety loud when you shot it. That was so long ago....

I was a career bureaucrat and I can tell you that whenever we saw a "What the ****?" ruling or law come down the pike it was because somewhere, somehow, somebody did 'that thing' and there was 'a very very bad result'. So, with that in mind and in order to save lives, limbs or liability the easiest thing for Disney to do is institute a ban. In other words, it's people's irresponsible behaviour and/or parenting that results in 'why we can't have nice things'. It is what it is. No one's trip is going to be ruined because they can't ride/wear their electric 'whatever it is'.

The Fort doesn't have the 'enforcement' staff to sit on the roads with radar detectors and monitor the speed of every bike/scooter/roller-whatevers to be sure they aren't speeding or otherwise being a danger to self or others, nor would I want to see that. But you can be sure that if they did someone or some kid's parents would pitch a hissy that they or little Johnny was NOT riding dangerously or speeding and that Disney was ruining their trip so they want 'compensation'.

BTW, my son has a fancy-schmancy eBike. That thing is so damned scary at 'full throttle' that I won't even try it. And he got it after a bad fall on a rented eScooter. Go figure.

It is the trend. They took the train away. The tram away. The toy rifles away. The mini speedboats away. Most of the fishing away. The petting zoo away. River Country away. There was a safety component to all those things that can be argued by Disney, rightfully and wrongfully. I'm sure I'm missing other stuff due to some sort of parasite eating at my brain due to swimming in the lake in the early 70s. ugh.
They are just the shells of the fun places they once were.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter