Educational school project for trip

Skybaby

Mouseketeer
My daughter who is in 1st grade has to do a project for her "field trip," aka vacation to WDW, to illustrate her educational experience from the trip. Anyone with ideas?
Thanks!!

1st grade is mighty young. I don't think they want anything that she could win a Pulitzer for. LOL Maybe info on the resort you are staying at. Things like how many pools, how many buildings, where did the idea for the resort come from. (ASMo would be different movies, the Poly would be Polynesia/hawian, PO would be Louisiana, etc.)

You could pick a park and go from there. Get her a passport and have her get stamps from the different countries. Have her eat her way around the world. (although, I'm sure she would need a little help ;)) Take her pic eating different things and tell what country she was in.

DS did a kids thing at AK in Harambe. He colored their flag in and there were lots of people around to give him info. (what each color in the flag means, the exports and imports, dress, culture in general. I found it very interesting myself)

She could do a "project" on the transportation in WDW. Buy a disposable camera and take pics of all of the different options. Give a little explination about how they work or where they go and why WDW picked that particular mode of transportation for that location.

Go on the train tour at the MK. Lots of info there! And great suvies! LOL (though it isn't free, but really neat!)

She could even do a report on the wildlife that she saw.

How long did you stand in lines for rides on different days? (that's a science project) Have her guess how long it will take and see how close she is.

The possibilities are endless! I homeschool and just sent DS to the recycling plant with DH. Field trip! LOL He'll get to see why we save and what happens to the cans. You can make anything educational.

My DD is also in gr.1 and our idea was to buy a small stuffed doll or toy and a photo album. We are going to take the toy's picture in a few different "educational" places and put the picture and a short blurb about where the doll is in the picture into the album. We will give both the toy and album to the teacher after our trip and a note saying that this is the new class mascot and whenever a child goes on holidays they could take the toy and then add pictures and info from where they went. In a few years the album could have pictures from all over the world and the teacher will have a wonderful memory of lots of her students.

One year I had my kids write the names of attractions for handwriting. For a first grader you might just have her write the names of the major parks or the lands within MK.

i12go2wdw, I love your idea! A Beanie Baby would be a great size for that.

When my son was around that age I took a spiral notebook and labeled 25 pages from A to Z. We tried to think of something "Disney Related" for each letter and I had him write a sentence using that word on the page. Then -- we tried to take a picture for some of the things to paste on that page.....

For example on the "G" page he wrote
"Goofy is silly." and we pasted a picture of him with Goofy at a character breakfast.

I like all the ideas so far!

You could also do something with math. My 6yo saved up money for his trip and loved to count it before we went. He also started a savings account and we deposited money in there until the trip.

You could also bring back park maps from Epcot in all the different languages.

Your child could keep a travel journal using pictures or a combination of all the ideas here.

Good luck!

These all sound like great ideas!

The Animal Kingdom also has a lot of info on conservation, endangered animals and dinosaurs.

I think most important would be to let you daughter help in deciding what the project will be. Give her two or three choices and let her choose the one that sounds most interesting to you. The more interested she is in the project the more fun she will have with it (no to mention she is more likely to REALLY learn something :) )

Though the teacher said she didn't need to do anything, (thnakfully she is as nutty about WDW as we are), I felt it is important that she does do something to share with her class.

This is what we are doing:
We always keep a journal, so she will keep one that she can share with her freinds about what we did each day.

We have the Epcot passport, which we will be getting stamped. We also hopefully will be able to do the KIDCOT project, though I heard it was not running in September.

We also plan on finding some interesting trinkets (under 5 dollars say) from differnt parts of the world to share with our friends. We were thinking about differnt types of toys or musical instruments.

The day we visist AK we will incorporate what we learned about animals and dinosuars into our journal.

At MK we hope to talk about the differnt lands, and how the rides are diffenernet and what movies they come from.

Each day will have about four or five sentences for it, which will be a good activity during rest time.

Ok i was thinking and I have a suggestion. Maybe you could pick up a postcard from different places you visit( the hotel, paks, restraunts..ect..) she could just make a small note on the back as to what she did or ate just to help her jog her memory so she can tell about her trip. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter