Educational Ideas - homeschoolers?

DianneMcLean

Earning My Ears
Are there any homeschoolers on these boards?

I'm looking for someone to help put together a packet of information and lesson plans that apply to the DLR. History, science, botany, math, art, whatever.
lmk,
Dianne

I don't know how qualified I am to put my two cents in (I don't have kids yet and I was educated in public/parochial schools), but I do have a few ideas to share:

History/Social Studies:

— American life/southern California in the 1950s

— the history of Disneyland itself and its long-gone attractions.

Science:

— The rides are a perfect example of physics and engineering in action! You could gather info about how roller coasters/theme park rides are designed and built. The Travel Channel shows programs about the work of Imagineers all the time, so keep your eyes peeled for stuff you might want to record.

Math:

— How to budget for a vacation (If they're younger, money management for just souvenir/treats is probably sufficient)

— Trip scheduling and time management

— Miscellaneous distance calculations (i.e. miles between home and DL, how many steps it takes to get from Frontierland to Fantasyland, etc.)

Art:
(My favorite subject and what I studied in college!)

— There are great examples of art all over the park, like the posters in the entrance tunnel and Red Rockett's Pizza Port. Have the kids compare, contrast, and analyze the graphic design trends of different eras, focusing on color, typography, and composition....which can easily segue into a connection to history. (i.e. Mary Blair and her contributions to the old Tomorrowland and Disney films.) There are a ton of books about Disney art and animation, so it probably won't be hard to find something that will spark a kid's interest.

— Disney Animation Academy in DCA serves as a good introduction to animation.

I hope I helped! :)

We are homeschoolers. I am not planning to put much of an educational focus on our visit simply because we don't go often enough and we will be busy. However DS#1 is doing physics this year and I plan to cover the physics of the rides with him (well to be honest I plan to get DH to cover the physics of the rides with him LOL)

Have you Googled Disney schooling? There are a couple of homeschool group sites and a yahoo list.
The yahoo list is disneyschooling. I don't have the websites saved sorry.

We are homeschoolers. I am not planning to put much of an educational focus on our visit simply because we don't go often enough and we will be busy. However DS#1 is doing physics this year and I plan to cover the physics of the rides with him (well to be honest I plan to get DH to cover the physics of the rides with him LOL)

Have you Googled Disney schooling? There are a couple of homeschool group sites and a yahoo list.
The yahoo list is disneyschooling. I don't have the websites saved sorry.

Are you going to the convention? It sounded as if the YES class dealing with the rollercoasters would be good. Unfortunately, DD is not quite to that point yet.

No. We live in Australia, so it's a bit far to come for the convention. Our visit is timed to co-incide with a wedding we are attending in Pennsylvania.

July Kitten - I think those are some great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I am a stay-at-home mom and my oldest will begin public kindergarten this Sept; however, I am always trying to teach them about things in everyday life and these are some great "discussion points" while on our trip.

Thank you for your thoughts.

No. We live in Australia, so it's a bit far to come for the convention. Our visit is timed to co-incide with a wedding we are attending in Pennsylvania.

Yes, that is a long way for a convention. It's a long way for a wedding, too. I hope you have a great trip and that the wedding goes
well. There are some great links for kids' travel pages near the top of the page on the Disney for Families section of DIS.

Naomi

We homeschool, but I really didn't put together lesson plans. For us it was vacation time, and a break from schooling. However there is always learning involved. From how you travel, and what you see while travelling. To budgeting, Disney history (which I love to talk about anyway!). Fun learning, that just comes naturally on a trip is what I like.

Hey thanks July Kitten for all the great ideas!!!

The Y.E.S. classes are great, but they move so fast through everything, I know there is so much more to learn at DL.

The yahoo group mentioned does not actually do any schooling at the park. I haven't been able to ever gleen any real academic nature of their group. It's just a group to schedule meetups, mostly the OC locals.

Thanks everyone! Still looking for someone to write content though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter