Ecv or powered wheelchair

married2mm

DIS Veteran
as I've mentioned previously I'm a bit of an anxious Annie..

I don't think I could self propel as I have a weakness in my wrist and prone to rsi.

I'm also totally lacking in sense of direction skills and rather clumsy.

I don't drive and wondering how to/where to begin with my wheel choices

Are you permitted to drive an ecv into enter certain restaurants/stores throughout wdw or would I
Be required to park?

Any advice most welcome.

there are a few places you can not take an ECV a few lines do not allow them ( they do allow wheel chair that you can transfer into if you need to)

same for restrounts

I would rent an ECV and if you can go to your local CVS wall green target extra and use one there so that you can get a feel of how it works.

you can rent one off site so that you can have it with you all they time.

take some time at the hotel to price drive the one you will have ( it really should not take more then 5-10 minutes of seeing how fast it will go how fast it will stop how it turns things like that.

as I've mentioned previously I'm a bit of an anxious Annie..

I don't think I could self propel as I have a weakness in my wrist and prone to rsi.

I'm also totally lacking in sense of direction skills and rather clumsy.

I don't drive and wondering how to/where to begin with my wheel choices

Are you permitted to drive an ecv into enter certain restaurants/stores throughout wdw or would I
Be required to park?

Any advice most welcome.

@gap2368 gave you some awesome advice and info - the only thing I would add is that you can search (use that "Search..." box up there at the top of the page on the right side, with the magnifying glass) for "first time ECV user" and find tons of great tips and info from other posts here.

And don't worry - just practice before you leave home when you have a chance, and take the time to get used to the ECV at the Resort before you go to the Parks (it won't take long!) You will be fine! :)

I scope out the place for DW to decide whether she needs to get off the ECV and use her cane instead ... :)

You can practice with an ECV free at grocery stores and such. To get a true experience consider a day at a local zoo with a rental scooter there. This will allow you to know if you can handle an ECV or not.

Disney World is very crowded and unfortunately many will not pay attention to you on a scooter. They may just go right in front of you with very little notice and you do need to react quickly sometimes. Also, navigating the Disney buses can be a challenge; it takes a little practice. I'm not trying to scare you, here. Rather I'm trying to prepare you that it may be helpful to get a little practice in and to make sure it's a good choice for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter